• 1 Post By TampIt
  • 2 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By herzog

Thread: Plumbing in through kitchen bench

Plumbing in through kitchen bench

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

OK now I have a shiny new machine, I want to plumb it in.

Looking for ideas on drilling a hole in my kitchen bench to route the hose/s. Easy enough to drill the hole, but any ideas on how to make it look pretty ? Even though it won't easily be seen.

I was hoping for some nice stainless finishing ring or similar. Or do people fix a 90 degree connection and connect to that ?

Any pictures would be great!

Cheers
    Jamie

There are a whole range of plastic "hole filler" sizes available for tidying computer cabling in desks. They are not just a circular disc with a central hole. They actually have an enclosed "swivel plate" so can can adjust them for quite different cable diameters and still keep the cables still and (fairly) tidy. Adding a couple of cable clips under the desk and they are tucked well out of the way.

I have no idea of your location, however in the West "Laurence and Hanson" (check spelling) would have multiple fittings from 1/2" to 2". Yep, they are all imperial sizes due to the computer industry. They come in virtually every shade made by Laminex or Formica (at least in the 2" size - which is for the ubiquitous "monitor cables and power cord hole"). Oh, and they are far cheaper than a pack of coffee the last time I bought a pack of them.

Naturally you will have to have a matching size of hole saw - also imperial (sigh - the reason I have multiple sets of them - everything else I do is metric).

Hope this helps.

TampIt
    Last edited by TampIt; 6th September 2018 at 12:35 AM.
    wilsonj likes this.

What material is the bench?

Once you’ve made the hole you can use a desk grommet to improve the appearance if you like, but normally the hole is out of sight underneath the machine.
    saeco_user and wilsonj like this.

The best way to hide the hole is to cut it under the machine, if that is possible in your layout.

Worked with mine which originally accommodated the power plug, the drain hose and the water supply hose.

Since then I've relocated the power plug on top of the bench, so the hole is unnecessarily large.

So think 10 x, measure 3x and cut 1x (and then only if you have to, I had a laugh)
    wilsonj likes this.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I had looked at the office desktop cable style hole/plug. Just wasn't sure if there were better options out there. I guess not!

Our kitchen bench is an older laminate on wood. So easy enough to cut I think.

Yes I will be placing it under the machine, so it will be hidden.

Plumbing in through kitchen bench

If you want something slightly fancier than plastic, have a look on eBay. You can get desk grommets in zinc, stainless steel, copper and bronze finishes.

These look a bit better than the plastic ones.

I won’t post the links directly as the site strips them, but do an eBay AU search on “desk grommet zinc” for examples.
    wilsonj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    If you want something slightly fancier than plastic, have a look on eBay. You can get desk grommets in zinc, stainless steel, copper and bronze finishes.

These look a bit better than the plastic ones.

I won’t post the links directly as the site strips them, but do an eBay AU search on “desk grommet zinc” for examples.
    Thanks herzog. That's what I was imagining! Just didn't know what to search for.