Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Agrajag
  • 3 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By gmeddy
  • 2 Post By CafeLotta

Thread: Precision shower heads for Nuova Simonelli?

Precision shower heads for Nuova Simonelli?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.
    Iíve noticed there is quite a lot of options for precision fit tampers and baskets, but then you take this perfectly tamped puck and clamp it in tight up against a shower head which may or may not be a good fit.
    In the case of my Nuova Simonelli Appia II, itís not a snug fit. I would estimate about 3mm of space around the side where coffee moves up the side of the basket and gets stuck all up around the shower head.

These particular shower heads/screens have a large bolt head sticking down out of them also which pushes into the puck too.
    It doesnít seem like a very nice clean design at all. Considering that my home machine Breville Dual Boiler has a much cleaner shower head with a smooth fit against the puck.

Has anyone heard of a modified shower head/screen designed to fit into the NS machines?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmeddy; 1st November 2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Add photo

You are dosing too much. The puck should not hit the shower screen (though ideally should get very close - see the 5c test - though this may not be possible with that large bolt. In any case, dose less, don't let the puck hit anything)
    Dimal and gordons like this.

Looks to me to be well over dosed, the basket is a real mess.

The coffee also looks to be quite coarsely ground, suggest grind finer and reduce dose.
    matth3wh, gordons and zeezaw like this.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting because I had a very experienced roaster and cafe owner go through the process with my machine. 20g grinds in to 40g extracted espresso. 1:2 is their set formula.
    25-30 sec extraction time. This dose fills my basket so that the top edge of my tamper fits in perfectly flush with the top of the basket when fully tamped. I thought that would be the right dosage. And the guy showing me how he does things didnít say anything about my baskets not being big enough.

So anyways, taking on board your feedback here, Iíve tried my larger basket, and in order to get a 25-30 sec extraction I need to grind finer.
    Now 20g at the grind which gets me a 25-30 sec extraction looks like the pics attached.

The tamper fits way down deep, and the extraction takes a long time to begin, but in the end the actual extraction from first drop to end of 40g is between 25 and 30 sec.

The puck is wet and falls out of the portafilter.
    The shower head bolt still touches, as you see.

I donít know whether to keep going with this form of dial in or return to the previous. My palate isnít good enough to pick up any changes to flavour, but we had a lot of good customer satisfaction with our previous method.

Any further thoughts?

I'd be getting rid of that ridiculous hex-head bolt too, and replace it with a suitable Countersunk one. If any slight overdose episodes occur, then you won't destroy the puck before you pull the shot...

Mal.
    Yelta and zeezaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    I'd be getting rid of that ridiculous hex-head bolt too, and replace it with a suitable Countersunk one. If any slight overdose episodes occur, then you won't destroy the puck before you pull the shot...

Mal.
    Exactly! With some more playing around Iíve found that I donít need to use the larger basket at all, the dose fits in under the shower head, but even when under-dosed the bold head still hits the puck!

Iím getting onto coffeeparts website to try find the right countersunk bolt right now. How in heck did Nuova Simonelli come up with this stupid hex head bolt?!?

Precision shower heads for Nuova Simonelli?

You appear to be using the standard NS handles and basket. Is that the case?

If youíre wanting a 18g or 20g or 22g dose Iíd recommend you get alternative baskets (VST/IMS/Decent) and youíll need deeper group handles to accommodate (I prefer the Cafelat over Pesado to easily switch from spouted to bottomless PF).

While youíre at it get the IMS / Pesado shower-dispersion screen and a cafelat silicone group head gasket.

Poor old hex bolt. (Heart emoji) (smiley emoji). I suspect it is there to make the technicians job easier(?). IĎve grown to like being able to remove the dispersion screen and block with a socket/ ratchet. No biggy though. I have countersunk screw on my NS Oscar II.
    Last edited by matth3wh; 2nd November 2018 at 04:00 PM.

FYI matth3wh the forum does not recognize tap-a-talk emoji tags. All we see are the bad link icons.

Java "No moji" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    FYI matth3wh the forum does not recognize tap-a-talk emoji tags.
    Java "No moji" phile
    (sad emoji)

Thanks for the heads up Javaphile. I thought Iíd seen come across successfully in the past. My mistake. Time to go old school ;-)

And now... for something completely different.

Silicone gaskets (sparkle emoji) :-)

The emojis you've probably seen are either on tap-a-talk or selected from the ones available via the forum by clicking on the smiley face in the toolbar above the text box. Like these:

Java "" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Sorry I didn't realise there was more replies here. Need email notifs. (crazy old confused man emoji)

Yeah so since my last comment, I've figured it out...
    I searched the part number of the baskets I was using because I became curious of their recommended dosage size. Found it... 14g.... I dose 20g.
    No wonder it was over-dosed and touching the shower screen.
    Now I've changed to the big 22g basket which is also standard and came with the machine.
    I've got the Pullman baskets backordered with coffeeparts (overdue now) which should perfectly fit with my new Big Step tamper.

Changing to the bigger basket has completely solved the issue. No more grounds stuck all up and inside the shower head.
    I just needed to grind a lot finer of course, which increases my grind time to around 11sec with the Super Jolly.
    But soon I will have the K30 Vario Air which should make a big difference.

Thanks for all the support helping me get this sorted out guys.

And now for the point of the silicone gaskets, what's the advantage of that over the standard gasket in my machine? Red and blue?
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmeddy View Post
    And now for the point of the silicone gaskets, what's the advantage of that over the standard gasket in my machine? Red and blue?
    An excerpt from "Cafelat's" website re: their silicone group gaskets-

"Our own group gaskets made from food grade FDA silicone. Unlike regular gaskets that are made from rubber these do not have any smell or taste whatsoever, and are easy to change since they will not bake rock hard like rubber does. If you have ever struggled to change an old gasket you cannot help but notice the awful smell and the black soot that comes off the rubber. And that is what you are potentially consuming with each drink. We have spent months testing and adjusting the material so that these have the same compression strength as rubber, but are also softer so that it is easier to create a good seal."

The red and blue in the CafeLat generic E61 silicone gaskets are just different thicknesses I believe.

The biggest difference I found using them was that they were smooth when locking in the portafilter without the grabbiness that rubber has. Also less effort required to lock in with a good seal.
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmeddy View Post
    I just needed to grind a lot finer of course, which increases my grind time to around 11sec with the Super Jolly.
    I've got a new Super Jolly and 11 secs would be enough to fill two baskets! Have you cleaned or replaced your burrs?
    Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy63 View Post
    I've got a new Super Jolly and 11 secs would be enough to fill two baskets! Have you cleaned or replaced your burrs?
    Cheers,
    Rob
    Itís always been around that time since new. My shot count on it is now almost 4000.
    I just grind as fine as I need to in order for the shot time to be around 25sec for 40g espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy63 View Post
    Cheers,
    Rob
    https://youtu.be/484c2k68_jA
    At 3:20 he says itís around 10 sec for a double. I always dose 20g which is at the middle range of double I assume... sometimes I get 20g in 10 sec, sometimes I need to tweak it finer and it takes 11-ish