Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr_Dave

Thread: Machine advice

NJD

Machine advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Snobbers

After the opinions on purchasing a secondhand GS3 5 year old , unused for the last 18 months . Been stored with boiler emptied , owned and used by barista that has now opened a cafe overseas. AV model . Not in my area to inspect myself without travel unless a snobber could possibly help out with an inspection . Is the opinion that this machine is worth chasing or for the money and hassle would a brand new profitec 700 or 800 be just as good a choice.

Anyone know the ease of maintenance on the GS3 or any faults with them I should be aware of .

Thoughts??
    Cheers

I guess it all depends on the price.

I was in a similar boat about second hand gs3 or new linea mini

NJD
    It's around the 5k mark . At the moment I am entertaining the idea if I could contact a member of this site to inspect as its in Melbourne and I am in QLD . Long shot but from all you read is the machine worth the effort . I do like these machines thats for sure. What did you decide to do?

I would say if itís stored itís due for a service and a good clean. Barista or not itís always buyer beware. All depends on the photos.

Personally I would factor $1k extra for the service/replacement of parts. So $6k seems okay. But Iíd say itís only $1500 cheaper than a new one

I went for the new option. A few things I didnít think I could get over if it wasnít plumbed in terms of usability.

NJD
    okay cheers . I am cautious but am always on the lookout for an upgrade to the GS# which I have this idea that it is the machine I want to eventually settle on. Hard decision though

Thanks

Hi NJD,
    If you are based in Gladstone, servicing and repair may be an issue in the future, as it has been for me
    I decided to buy an Izzo Leva a few years ago - I wanted a Lever because I liked the magic of levers, but also the simplicity of repairs and maintenance. I previously owned a double boiler machine which needed repair. Repair meant shipping the machine away and back
    A lever is really a kettle with a handle and I service it myself
    I am making the best coffee I ever have and still love my leva after 4 years
    Maybe something to consider?
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    Dimal likes this.

NJD
    Thanks for the advice DR Dave. I am okay with any repairs as I have the skills and access to sort out any issues that arise. Agreed though less trouble is what I am also chasing , just dont need to be fixing things for the sake of something to entertain me. I have looked at the Izzo lightly I must admit, but have been keen on the profitec 800 for some time for much the same reasons as yourself but they have really good reports of the coffee quality as well. Leaning towards the profitec 700 or 800 but I would like to buy a good used machine . I must admit I do really like the LM GS3 cosmetics of the machine but buying new is tough to justify the $$$$$ IMHO. Brand new profitec or second hand LM really is a battle in the mind as common sense tell anyone that same profitec money for brand new machine which is still brilliant coffee or double the money for used LM which doesnt really result to double the quality in the cup. Is there really double the life and reliability in the LM??? Not sure there is?The only justification I have is this will be my only machine purchase for a long long long time so I want it to be everything.

Cheers