Thread: Faema Smart D92 A1 help.

Faema Smart D92 A1 help.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Recently purchased a Faema Smart D92 fully automatic single group machine. I have scoured the internet looking for a manual and canít find anything. Anyone know where I can find one of those. Faemaís website has no documentation for any machines other than what they are currently selling.

Part of the reason we need the manual is to figure out what size portafilter we need. People who had it before couldnít find it.

also, can this machine draw water from a water tank or does it need to be hooked up to my water service/pressurized line?

This is is my first espresso machine, so i donít know much. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snootycoffee View Post
    Recently purchased a Faema Smart D92 fully automatic single group machine. I have scoured the internet looking for a manual and canít find anything. Anyone know where I can find one of those. Faemaís website has no documentation for any machines other than what they are currently selling.

Part of the reason we need the manual is to figure out what size portafilter we need. People who had it before couldnít find it.

also, can this machine draw water from a water tank or does it need to be hooked up to my water service/pressurized line?

This is is my first espresso machine, so i donít know much. Thanks!
    Hey there, welcome to Coffee Snobs. To answer your questions:
    - itís a 58mm group. Virtually all commercial and prosumer espresso machines are 58mm with only a few exceptions. So you need 58mm bits and pieces for it such as the portafilter, filter baskets, gasket and tamper. If youíre asking because you need to buy a tamper make sure you get one that is just over 58mm. Brands like Pullman, Pesado, Barista Hustle etc make tampers that are 58.2-58.5mm wide which ensures thereís no gap round the edge when you tamp.
    - as this is a commercial machine itís quite possible thereís no user manual for it. Thereís probably a parts manual, but not necessarily a proper instruction manual. It doesnít matter too much as you can apply any general method you learn to using this machine.
    - yes it will draw water from a tank. However if this is how youíre going to set it up then make sure you have a non return valve fitted in the line. The pump will die pretty quickly if every time itís turned on the line is partly dry. Plumbing it in is better if you can manage it.

Finally if this is your first machine Iíd highly recommend you do some sort of Ďbaristaí course. A few site sponsors offer them for Ďhome baristasí, but thereíll be other options too. You might find someone that can come to you and train you on your actual machine.

All the best and happy brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Hey there, welcome to Coffee Snobs. To answer your questions:
    - it’s a 58mm group. Virtually all commercial and prosumer espresso machines are 58mm with only a few exceptions. So you need 58mm bits and pieces for it such as the portafilter, filter baskets, gasket and tamper. If you’re asking because you need to buy a tamper make sure you get one that is just over 58mm. Brands like Pullman, Pesado, Barista Hustle etc make tampers that are 58.2-58.5mm wide which ensures there’s no gap round the edge when you tamp.
    - as this is a commercial machine it’s quite possible there’s no user manual for it. There’s probably a parts manual, but not necessarily a proper instruction manual. It doesn’t matter too much as you can apply any general method you learn to using this machine.
    - yes it will draw water from a tank. However if this is how you’re going to set it up then make sure you have a non return valve fitted in the line. The pump will die pretty quickly if every time it’s turned on the line is partly dry. Plumbing it in is better if you can manage it.

All the best and happy brewing.

LeroyC. Thanks for being so helpful. I'll look into the portafilter size you recommended. Is there a brand any better or worse, or should I stick with a Faema? We have a few things we need to acquire before actually running the machine...

I was already planning having friends who run coffee shops join us for our inaugural run of our machine and training. They both have done time at Intelligentsia's trainings here in the states and with the Slayer Espresso machine people.

Finally if this is your first machine I’d highly recommend you do some sort of ‘barista’ course. A few site sponsors offer them for ‘home baristas’, but there’ll be other options too. You might find someone that can come to you and train you on your actual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by snootycoffee View Post
    LeroyC. Thanks for being so helpful. I'll look into the portafilter size you recommended. Is there a brand any better or worse, or should I stick with a Faema?.
    If you need a portafilter then any commercial 58mm will be ok, but youíll need to check what lug positions youíre after. From memory these Faemas have offset lugs on the portafilters rather than at the Ď9-and-3í position, but I canít remember for sure sorry. If you have friends who own or work in cafes then Iíd suggest you borrow a portafilter to check if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    If you need a portafilter then any commercial 58mm will be ok, but you’ll need to check what lug positions you’re after. From memory these Faemas have offset lugs on the portafilters rather than at the ‘9-and-3’ position, but I can’t remember for sure sorry. If you have friends who own or work in cafes then I’d suggest you borrow a portafilter to check if possible.
    the lug openings on the group look to be at 5 and 11 with no stops as you turn to the right.

The height and depth (and sometimes the length) of the lugs also needs to match for a good fit or to fit in at all.

You can often use PFs that arenít for the particular machine but they fit and work ok.

Post a pic of the group.

Cheers