Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 2 Post By Etheral

Thread: Advice needed, upgrading from a La Pavoni. Looking at the Profitec range

Advice needed, upgrading from a La Pavoni. Looking at the Profitec range

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have been using a La Pavoni Europiccola for the last few years and enjoying the espresso’s that it produces. I consume around 2-4 coffees daily, with the wife having 1 or 2 as well.

My wife can use the La Pavoni, but doesn’t share the same ethusiasm as I do in perfecting the shot. I have been looking at semi automatic machines such as the Profitec 500, 600 and 700. However, the Profitec 800 has caught my attention.

I will be purchasing I think a ECM S-Automatik 64 grinder, and want a new machine to accomodate it. I’d be happy to go down the lever path again, having dealt with all the variability and micro management required. However, I would like to have something the wife is capable of using while I am not home.

Lastly, if anyone could draw a comparison to the quality of the shots that a semi automatic machine vs the lever that would be great. I can only compare to what I get from the cafes in the centre of Sydney using pump machines, which I have had some good coffees and some truely terrible ones, in comparison to my lever pulled coffees.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Hi Etheral,I did the switch from the LP Europicolla to the Profitec Pro 800 about 18 months ago and haven't looked back. The LP requires a bit of technique to get the pull right and can be a little bit finiky. The pro 800 however with a spring driver piston/lever this isn't really the same. Its a simple operation - pull the lever, wait 5-10 seconds for preinfuse then lift. I got my SO to pull as good shots as I did (after I set the grinder etc up). I wouldn't hestitate to get another one (if for what ever reason it died) - however it does take up a lot of bench space as it has a large footprint and the lever is quite high. Luckily I am pretty tall, but my SO struggles a little and has to go up on the toes to grab the top of the lever. I'd suggest going to see one in the flesh first as they are not for everyone, but I love mine.Cheers,WEBN.
    Dimal and Etheral like this.

Site Sponsor
    Hi Etheral,

If you want to try out the Pro 800 we have one on the demo bench. WEBN makes a good point - the lever on the Pro 800 is not for the "height challenged" ;-)

In terms of shot quality, think of it in terms of a step up from the Pavoni (58mm filter baskets and bigger doses) and "different" compared to a pump machine. Pump machines generally run at 9BAR for the duration of the shot while the sprung levers start at a higher pressure and drop off as the shot progresses. Probably worth the visit to Frenchs Forest if you're able to sample for yourself!

charlie

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    100% agree with Charlie the shot quality is a step up - but the consistency is a million times better. I found with the LP that I would get a handful of good shots, the odd bad one and then the occasion glorious one. Probably put a lot down to technique and prep - but with the pro 800 it's quality every time. The only time a shot quality suffers is dialing in a new bean.

Hi Charlie,

I will be sure to be out your way very soon.

Regards,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Hi Etheral,

If you want to try out the Pro 800 we have one on the demo bench. WEBN makes a good point - the lever on the Pro 800 is not for the "height challenged" ;-)

In terms of shot quality, think of it in terms of a step up from the Pavoni (58mm filter baskets and bigger doses) and "different" compared to a pump machine. Pump machines generally run at 9BAR for the duration of the shot while the sprung levers start at a higher pressure and drop off as the shot progresses. Probably worth the visit to Frenchs Forest if you're able to sample for yourself!

charlie

Just like to add an update, I did go and visit Charlie at his Sydney store. He was kind enough to offer some of his advice and I ended up purchasing a Profitec 600 and Profitec t64, mainly due to being user friendly for both the wife and I.

I had a bit of a learning curve trying to dial it all in, but I am getting some really excellent shots out of this setup. I am really happy with the whole setup, definitely a step up from the La Pavoni. Had a good shopping experience at Jetblack Espresso, and appreciate your time and advice Charlie.

Many Thanks,

Matt
    Dimal and JetBlack_Espresso like this.

Site Sponsor
    Great to meet you Matt and I'm sure the Pro 600 + Pro T64 package will continue to deliver the goods.

charlie