Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mycoffeejourney
  • 2 Post By Aaron

Thread: Rancilio Z9 type, 2 group - advice please

Rancilio Z9 type, 2 group - advice please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I am a first time poster, long time stalker I have recently purchased a z9 Rancilio 2 group coffee machine and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew in terms of bringing it back to life. Cosmetically it is perfect. I donít want to start pulling it apart and then be knees deep in parts and be in trouble! So, that brings me to my question. What are these things worth in good working condition? Approx? Basically if I find someone who can fix it for me what should I be spending to ensure that down the track I wonít be at a loss?? Thanks in advance!! Ps. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place but as it is light commerical I figured it is an extreme machine for home use.
    matth3wh likes this.

Sadly, a two group machine is not really worth that much, they are generally too big for most domestic situations and most cafes don't want to risk using an older piece of equipment. A Z9 is a bit of a design classic, which might push the value up slightly but really they are not hotly sort after.
    My first ever restoration was a Rancilio Z11 which I picked up cheaply as rats had eaten all the internal wiring - I think the rebuild thread is still on here somewhere. I worked on it for a year and replaced probably about $300 worth of parts to get it up and running again. I used it in my workshop for about eight months before I packed it up and sold it for $800 or $900 (I can't remember now). Having said that, the experience I gained from doing the rebuild was invaluable and has given me the confidence to take on other rebuilds and to diagnose and fix problems with my day to day machine.
    I would say that, in a domestic situation, its impossible to have someone fix your machine for you and still come out on top financially. The time of an experienced espresso technician will quickly add up to equal the cost / value of the machine. I know the idea of fixing the machine is a daunting one, but if you take your time and ask plenty of questions, the task can be broken down into manageable chunks and at the end you will have a machine that you can confidently service yourself. Happy to help with advice (as Im sure others will) if you decide to have a go.
    Goodluck.
    Dimal and Zee like this.