Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By kofekitt
  • 1 Post By JMcCee

Thread: What is this E61 part for?

What is this E61 part for?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm doing the rounds trying to work out what this part is for on my vintage E61. Not having much luck so far. It fits on the bottom left thread that is one of four that holds the body to the facia and one of the bakelite knobs screws over it. It looks like a type of special fitting or tool that may be used elsewhere on the machine and has a thread larger than the one it goes over. You can see it on the machine pictured (not mine). Any clues?

The winner gets sent my ex mother-in-law's pumpkin scone recipe.

WP_20190211_13_58_15_Rich.jpg20120417_170323.jpg

Evening Don , i've often wondered that too . There is a similar shaped wheel on the old mercury pstats, so i wonder if it's a spare?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Exclamation

Thanks Mike, I think you're on the money! I wonder why they provided a spare.

Don't try and eat the scones if u have dentures =P

14262_img_0451.jpg
    kofekitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kofekitt View Post
    There is a similar shaped wheel on the old mercury pstats, so i wonder if it's a spare?
    That thing is fascinating, I've never seen one before.

I assume the pressure expands the corrugated chamber which pushes up on the top bar and tilts the mercury tilt switch and the thumbwheels adjust the actuation point?

It also explains why the Legend doesn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    It also explains why the Legend doesn't have one.
    Err, not exactly.. Ernst from HB gave a pretty much definitive answer as to the thing's reason for existence. I still don't know why it had to have a knurled edge and a threaded hole but anyway..
    a
    tax and certificate
    for pressure tanks aka boilers with a pressure higher than atmospheric pressure.
    you will only find them on machines that were installed and running in italy. i have a 1 group and a two group e61 factory sold to belgium, they dont have it. i have a 3 group e61 i bought it in italy it has it.

so how do i know that?
    in the 80th our company imported air compressors from italy to germany maybe 3.000 a year. we got them in a special color to brand them for the german market and they were made to order from the company in bologna. sometimes they could not deliver and we accepted their standard model with their color made for the italian market. Those all came with exactly this little round disc installed at the pressure tank. so i asked them what is this for? and they told me that this is required by the state to put it on each pressure tank to show that the tank has a proof and test certificate and the fees are paid. of course with the EU those things dissapeared.

hope this clarifies the mystery
    ernst

I stand corrected (was just a guess), Do i still get the scones? :-)

i also agree it's weird to make something to do with testing and compliance so easily swappable onto another machine