• 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By orionMT
  • 1 Post By orionMT
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By orionMT

Thread: Figuring out Diadema model and what its worth

Figuring out Diadema model and what its worth

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey everyone, my company is moving to a smaller office and I've been put in charge of selling our old coffee machine and using the money to purchase a smaller one. A friend pointed me towards this forum and I'm a bit overwhelmed by just how much information there is here! I spent most of an afternoon browsing around but don't think I've found exactly what I'm after yet.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify what our existing machine is from the pictures? Apparently it was bought 2nd hand about 5 years ago (someone said it was for $6000 but that sounds too much to me so might've included installing the electricity and plumbing too), and we don't have any instruction manuals or documentation about exactly what it is. It's a Diadema with 2 group heads, and requires a special 15A power point if that helps.

I figure that once I identify exactly what model it is I'd be able to search for that and figure out what a reasonable asking price is, and then we can work out what our budget is for the new one. Our company have told us that the money we get from selling this machine has to cover the cost of the new one so hopefully its still worth a reasonable amount and we don't need to resort to nespresso pods...

Hi,

Not sure where you are based but do a search of your local area for Commercial espresso service/sales companies. Your machine is a BFC Diadema model 2GV EL and a commercial espresso service/sales company will have a fair idea what it is worth.
    Maurice

PS. If there is nothing wrong with the machine, why not get it serviced and continue using it. This maybe more practical especially if it is not worth much. It maybe a bit too big for your new staffing levels/office size but I bet it makes a great coffee. (14/02)
    Last edited by Birkin7; 14th February 2019 at 09:25 AM.
    level3ninja likes this.

Hmmm...

An old BFC Diadema 2GV like that won't be worth very much on the open market I'm afraid.
    Might be able to sell it to an enthusiast for home entertaining (someone on here perhaps) but that won't raise many readies either...

Mal.

It's a run of the mill 2 group E61 heat exchanger machine. Parts are cross compatible with heaps of other brands which makes servicing easy. The steam wands look to have CMA taps and a San Marco/Carimali style steam wand and tip.

Regarding the internal electronics and control boards, that's possibly a bigger issue if they were to break down. I'm not sure what this machine has.

Going from the serial number, I would assume it's a 2004 machine. A 15 year old ex commercial, entry level machine isn't worth much at all. Check local online auction sites for a gauge of how they sell in your area.
    Dimal likes this.

Orion, if you have the spare one square metre in your new office kitchen you would be better keeping it, you wont get better coffee with what you will get for it. Otherwise get used pod coffee....
    Dimal likes this.

orionMT,
    Perhaps you might consider something like a coffee pod machine,no mess or grinder required and maintenance is minimal in comparison to your older machine.
    I think the only small draw back is the less then environmental unfriendly foil (gas filled) packaging.
    Being on board water container with safety lock out for low water level,I have this at a busy school staff room.
    I think they are easy and readily accepted system,if the pods are regularly updated.
    cheers,
    Mick.

image.jpg

Thanks for all the info everyone! That's really helpful, kind of sad that its not actually worth much.

You're all correct in that it makes awesome coffee and we'd love to just keep it, unfortunately its an issue with bench space in our new kitchen. We could fit it in but then there's no free bench space at all for making sandwiches etc. Us coffee drinkers are of the opinion that if people in the office just drink more coffee it'll reduce their appetite and then they won't feel like making sandwiches anyway but apparently that logic wasn't enough to sway the non-coffee drinkers...

We're in Canberra and we did reach out to Cosmorex who've done an awesome job with its annual maintenance/check-up but unfortunately they don't buy second hand machines. Quoted us a good price for a new 1 group machine but based on what you're all saying and my own brief searching I don't think we'll get anywhere near enough money by selling this one to cover that cost. Found a place in Sydney that buy/sell/service second hand commercial machines so I've emailed them too to see what they think about it - they might have a similar era 1 group machine that they'd let us do a trade-in for.

I'm loving this forum by the way, its great when you find a place like this full of knowledgeable eager to help people
    Dimal likes this.

Hello again,
    Bench space is important and sadly ever reducing these days,no room these days for a decent sized machine however,
    the pictured machine is only 300mm width x 500mm depth and without the need for a space hungry grinder.
    Despite what looks and works great is not always readily accepted by busy staff/users,quick coffee that tastes like a real coffee is the key!
    No Plumbing in required (in built reservoir) and also close as possible to foolproof with very busy teachers (and potentially uncaring users) is my successful experience anyway!
    cheers,
    mick.

Thanks for the help everyone. We were considering a fancy pod machine like the one you suggested Mick, but now that we've moved into the new office we've found that we could squeeze the coffee machine in with just enough space to keep the sandwich makers happy (see pic)

Unfortunately it meant sacrificing our existing coffee grinder for a much smaller one which is a bit of a downgrade (from a BFC/Macap MXA down to a Sunbeam EM0480). The old one's been cleaned up and I'll probably sell it later next week, meanwhile its sitting on a table looking sad :P
    Dimal likes this.

Hi Orion and welcome to the forum.
    I'm sure Cosmorex would be looking after the machine as they are well regarded here
    and over a long period of time.
    There's plenty of old posts to search for info.

I imagine that the Water Filter travelled with the machine? And is reinstalled into your new location.
    As for the choice of Grinder....I hope you take this suggestion in the positive manner it is intended.
    Seeing bench space is the issue ....
    I would put new 65mm flat blade burs into the previous MXA grinder,
    Take the Knock Box and find a place under Bench ...
    And now use the new found free space to return the MXA into action !
    Find someone who enjoys French Press to take over the EM480.
    I think you'll find the Sunbeam wont cut it ...in comparison to the MXA...
    In your Espresso world.
    Other than for its smaller footprint !
    Good Luck with the new workplace.
    EA
    Last edited by EspressoAdventurer; 2nd March 2019 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks EA. We've definitely noticed a difference in the em480 grinder, it comes out "fluffier" as one person put it - possibly because it still has more air in it since it doesn't settle in the doser beforehand. And it seems like we have to re-adjust the grind settings a lot more too (or perhaps other people in the office are changing it more since its easier to do than on the old grinder).

I wish we could keep the MXA but we got overruled. The bench layout has been changed again since the photo above (moving the knock box away and a smaller tray under it) so theres more space beside it which wouldn't be possible with the MXA.

And finally, just to put an end to the whole saga - the Diadema has died

The water level sight gauge has developed a slow leak and the pump is about to die too - $1200 to repair sadly so it looks like the machine is headed for the tip.

Just in time though, HQ have sent each office a Breville Oracle to celebrate EOFY so at least we have something

Quote Originally Posted by orionMT View Post
    And finally, just to put an end to the whole saga - the Diadema has died

The water level sight gauge has developed a slow leak and the pump is about to die too - $1200 to repair sadly so it looks like the machine is headed for the tip.

Just in time though, HQ have sent each office a Breville Oracle to celebrate EOFY so at least we have something
    Thatís a bummer. Donít throw it in landfill, thatís just a waste. Someone will pay $50-100 for it on eBay or GT to strip for parts or scrap. Stripped down you can get as much as $200-300 for the copper and brass in these machines, but a scrap dealer will want you to have done all the work for them already.
    The Oracle has great set of features for an office machine. Breville are probably the pick of the bunch with the appliance brands, but itís still nowhere near as solidly built as a machine like a Diadema so cleaning and preventative maintenance are really important. Look after it and it will be good to you.

Yeah, selling it for scrap isn't a bad idea - would solve the problem of transporting/disposing of it too if I put it as pick-up only. I saw this forum has a sub-forum for selling - do you think it would be worth my while advertising there first in case someone here wants to strip it for parts?

Quote Originally Posted by orionMT View Post
    I saw this forum has a sub-forum for selling - do you think it would be worth my while advertising there first in case someone here wants to strip it for parts?
    It doesn't cost anything to find out. List it!

Java "No fee!" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    It doesn't cost anything to find out
    That's very true. I've put it up so will see if anyones interested.
    (https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...rts-scrap.html)
    Dimal likes this.