• 2 Post By ozscott
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 3 Post By ozscott

Thread: Machine questions

Machine questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I need a single group HX machine that is rock solid and good parts availability.

I am interested in the following at the moment but any other ideas welcome:
    1. Bezzera Mitica Top
    2. ECM Technica Profi Rotary
    3. Fracino Bambino or Retro (lever).

The Fracino is a little.commercial with 3 contact pressurestat and considerably larger boiler and more grunt than the other 2. The only downside I can see is that Fracino is not a common brand in Aus as it is in its home (UK _ Made there from UK materials save for pump and motor which are Italian - probably Procon pump). Much heavier than the other 2 also. Local supplier in Bris has been around for a while). Fair bit heavier and in coffee machines I am content to think this equates to better build as a general rule. The REtro lever is another option although I find it odd that a genuine lever is dearer than the same machine with a pump and motor...

I like the idea of a stainless boiler in the ECM but I wonder about that in the long long term given brass and copper connections re electrolysis...

The Bezzera is a sound name and parts are plentiful.

Bez and ECM are both made in Italy despite ECM having German engineering apparently (not overly fused on the German engineering given their latest offerings in vehicles...its not the 80's where they made the best cars in the world).

Decisions, decisions....all roughly around the same price which is $3,200 -$3 400 with the lever being a few hundred dearer.

Oh...and my FAEMA 2 group commercial needs a full strip and refit and one day I will likely do that but not for now.

New machine will be fed by home roasted fresh beans and Mazzer SJ.

Cheers!

Maybe the BZ40 R superceded model into the mix too.

Cheers

I have a 1gr Retro lever. I haven't used the other machines you've mentioned so can't really compare directly. But if you have any questions about the Fracino I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks mate. Where did you source yours? How do you like the lever action machine? Easy to pull the lever (thinking my wife who likes to pull coffees but without the need for biceps). How is the build quality and reliability? Steaming action should be fantastic....

Cheers

Mine came from the importer.

The lever takes a bit of effort because it uses dual springs. The machine is tall which provides better ergonomics for pulling down the lever.

Build quality is solid, simple, and utilitarian. Looking inside the case there's a boiler, pressurestat, fill solenoid, water lever control, and element protection thermostat. That's all.

Steam power is great (as you'd expect from a 7L boiler)

It's a commercial machine. I bought mine because I got a really good deal on it. For the $3750 RRP you could get a pretty fancy domestic machine.
    ozscott likes this.

Thanks mate. I like simple and having water from heat exchanger not a boiler. So HX for me. The build on these Fracini machines is impressive and they are far heavier than even the high end prosumer machines of similar price like the ECM profi and Bez Mitica or Strega etc (the Fracini guy says he would sell it for the same price as the prosumers). Cheers

OzScott what depth P/F Handles Can you get for this brand of machine?
    And therefore... Basket Quantity.
    From this very same machine distributor?

Hi mate. Not sure save to say that they are 58mm baskets and spares are readily available in 14g and 7g baskets.

From what I can tell its stock commercial PF.

Cheers

Yep I agree with you entirely.
    Def 58mm no problem.
    But in this day and age In Oz they only come with old school std depth handle.
    So at most your limited to std 18g 'chamfered' / angled Dble Basket.

Yes the GH pattern will accept a Wega/Expobar handle but requires a thicker GH Seal / and or Spacer
    as the dimensions here seem unique (as a lot of the manufacturers do love to do).
    *Note - Open to comments or correction. As I didn't have the opportunity to check this machine's GH against the 6 or more different / unique 58mm Handles that are commonly around.
    Which maybe one of the less common brands may in fact fit snuggly.

The upshot is that simply upgrading to an Aust Speciality coffee size basket of say 20g is a little more involved / dearer than
    maybe it should be.
    No issue if your committed to, or like what this machine's offering.
    ozscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Yep I agree with you entirely.
    Def 58mm no problem.
    But in this day and age In Oz they only come with old school std depth handle.
    So at most your limited to std 18g 'chamfered' / angled Dble Basket.

Yes the GH pattern will accept a Wega/Expobar handle but requires a thicker GH Seal / and or Spacer
    as the dimensions here seem unique (as a lot of the manufacturers do love to do).
    *Note - Open to comments or correction. As I didn't have the opportunity to check this machine's GH against the 6 or more different / unique 58mm Handles that are commonly around.
    Which maybe one of the less common brands may in fact fit snuggly.

The upshot is that simply upgrading to an Aust Speciality coffee size basket of say 20g is a little more involved / dearer than
    maybe it should be.
    No issue if your committed to, or like what this machine's offering.

Cafelat make a 58mm E61 portafilter handle that converts between naked and spouted. It seems to be deep enough to take a 20+ gram basket.
    ozscott likes this.

Ok...someone may have just purchased a Bezzera Mitica Top rotary from the excellent people at DiBartoli… (very excited).

Cheers
    Brewster, Dimal, greenman and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Ok...someone may have just purchased a Bezzera Mitica Top rotary from the excellent people at DiBartoli… (very excited).

Cheers
    Good stuff Ozcott, great machine, if I were in the market would probably be my choice.

Bezzera have a well deserved reputation for quality and reliability.

Keep us informed.
    https://dibartoli.com.au/bezzera-mitica-top/
    Dimal and ozscott like this.

Thanks Yelta. Can't wait to get her. I will roast up a new batch of greens to suit. I have a lot of good parts from my FAEMA Due that I will probably sell off rather than make her a descale project...way too many more pressing projects. Cheers

Ok getting excited...The Mitica TOP has been bench tested and tuned by Di Bartoli and dispatched tomorrow for a Thurs/Fri arrival in Brisbane. In addition the package will have a naked PF and Motta Europa 500ml jug in SS and a SS Rocket knock box. I have also ordered a set of new genuine burrs for the Super Jolly. I am going to roast this week. For a number of reasons I have been not roasting quite as much, but very excited to start putting batches through at a faster rate of knots and re-kindle my love of coffee, and to play with the pre-infusion of the E61 Group that I didn't get with the big saturated groups of my big commercial machine. I calculate the SJ has put through less than the Mazzer replacement schedule but more than is desirable to bring out the best.

I will post up some pictures when it is all up and running to my satisfaction.

Cheers

We're getting excited too mate...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Unboxed. A thing of beauty. Excellent build quality. I wonder abiut The small diameter drain and right angle brass drain fitting ( ie potential blockages) compared to the massive one on the FAEMA but they must have tested and it must work. The fit and finish is really fantastic. Cheers
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

Looks good Ozscott, would like to be a fly on the wall when you fire it up.
    ozscott likes this.

Looks a real beauty mate - Have fun...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Thanks gents. First brew made. Wow. The steam effectiveness is amazing. Silky smooth Bonsoy! The rotary is eerily quiet...ever so slight hum. Love it already. On tank. Will plumb soon for pre-infusion.

Cheers
    Dimal, Yelta and Plane24 like this.