Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Ancible

Thread: Office Machine (50 person office) - separate milk frother

Office Machine (50 person office) - separate milk frother

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, I've spent some time browsing Coffee Snobs, but can't find what I'm after ... if this is covered somewhere please let me know.

I'm responsible for our new office fitout, and that includes the coffee machine

The internet is full of domestic coffee machine reviews / advice, where should I go for office machine advice?

Specs:
    • Auto ... by which I mean push a few buttons and it grinds, extracts and flows ... not a separate handle, basket etc as our team won't use it
    • Plumbed preferred but large water reservoir acceptable
    • 50 people office, so large bean hopper
    • But from the "we want everything, but then make it small" department ... ideally not a huge footprint ... single coffee at a time is OK
    • Does NOT need built in milk frother ... we have 5 different types of milk ... so separate question ... stand-alone milk frothers?

Again, where do I go to find good information on these types of machines?

Thanks!

Not sure if any of the Site sponsors can help you with the auto office machine advice you need. Maybe if any can offer you advice they will post here.

If you don't have any joy, try googling acmaust. Auto machines seems to be their line of business. Might be somewhere to start. Bear in mind there are any no. of commercial coffee machine suppliers and all will have a particular brand/range they want to supply you.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 8th May 2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Noidle22 is a technician here who recommends one brand which works at the lower end (can't remember the brand). Do a search with him as the user and say auto as search will bring up the right posts. They may have something with slightly greater capacity.
    CafeLotta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancible View Post
    Hi All, I've spent some time browsing Coffee Snobs, but can't find what I'm after ... if this is covered somewhere please let me know.

I'm responsible for our new office fitout, and that includes the coffee machine

The internet is full of domestic coffee machine reviews / advice, where should I go for office machine advice?

Specs:
    • Auto ... by which I mean push a few buttons and it grinds, extracts and flows ... not a separate handle, basket etc as our team won't use it
    • Plumbed preferred but large water reservoir acceptable
    • 50 people office, so large bean hopper
    • But from the "we want everything, but then make it small" department ... ideally not a huge footprint ... single coffee at a time is OK
    • Does NOT need built in milk frother ... we have 5 different types of milk ... so separate question ... stand-alone milk frothers?

Again, where do I go to find good information on these types of machines?

Thanks!
    I had a computer client a quite while back who was facing the same issue. To complicate things, half her staff were coffee aficionados whilst the other half would be happy with Folgers instant. For those who do not know, think of the floor sweepings rejected by Nescafe - fortunately Folgers is rarely available in Oz.

She ended up using one of those "cafe bar" things (hopefully long obsolete) for those who did not care. They could choose coffee, (powdered?) tea, hot chocolate, sugar etc at the push of a button with "substitute tennis shoe whitener" (or some other horror) as the powdered milk. I can only remember all choices led to undrinkable swill out of that thing at the time.

For those with taste she bought a Mazzer Major and a two group commercial machine (a La Pavoni or La Cimbali - I forget which).

The interesting thing was after three months virtually all her staff were using the good setup - to the point that she actually ended up hiring a barista trainer for a couple of sessions to teach them properly. FWIW, I always suspected that was mainly the maintenance aspect - she is a very astute leader.

I realise that would blow your space issues, however I would suggest you tell those controlling space that a good setup will pay for itself in staff appreciation and that leads to increased productivity - a win win.

As to the gear you choose - I would suggest you explore the concept and work out today's equivalent. If it were a cafe I would still leave the Major in the list although there are a lot of other worthy contenders. The rest - who knows.

I hope this helps

TampIt

Jura build good machines for office use. Most have milk frothers inbuilt but you can choose to not use them.

They build a range of machines to cover a variety of cups per day output. I've used the Giga 5 machine and fixed a few of them and it's great. It can handle 150 a day I believe.

If you google Jura coffee machines, it will take you to a few retailers sites where you can browse the selection.

Saeco also make a high output machine, the Royal One-Touch, also called the Aulika. I'm not much of a fan of it though, the coffee is mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Noidle22 is a technician here who recommends one brand which works at the lower end (can't remember the brand).
    Thanks, it was DeLonghi. They're my go to machines for domestic automatics. They don't make a commercial machine however but that doesn't stop a lot of people, heaps of schools and reception offices use them here and they do ok. The most I've seen on one is 45,000 cups but it's had quite a few repairs in that time.
    I wouldn't recommend it for long term heavy use.
    338 likes this.

I hate to say it but I think that your office situation is the environment the Pod machines fit nicely into.

The qualifying questions I have is: What are you hoping to solve/provide? <-- Are you wanting to provide a slightly better coffee than jar coffee or do you need to cater for coffee snobs?
    Also, who is going to clean the machine? I've seen office machines that have never been cleaned. You can buy the best automatic machine in the world but if doesn't get cleaned it with produce crud.

As far as a separate "milk frother", are you talking about the ones that get paired with pod machines or a steam arm? I can see challenges with having 50 untrained office staff using a steam arm.

We have a seaco machine at one place I visit. It doesn't do a bad job, but runs on fresh beans. It has a steam wand also. Rumour is it was $8k+...
    I just pinch a few of the beans when I run out, for my aeropress

Some bean roasters/wholesalers will also service the machine they install
    One of my clients has an E61, and the reception/runner cleans it, while the bean guy adjusts the machine as required

Thanks all for suggestions. I looked at them all and we’re now talking to a local Jura reseller. I’ll update when we’ve made a final choice.
    Dimal likes this.