Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By Florek
  • 1 Post By JZ4
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By JZ4

Thread: Mitica Top, Domus Galatea, Rocket?

JZ4

Mitica Top, Domus Galatea, Rocket?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I’m in the market for a new coffee machine and I have limited my searches to these three. Well there was more but the three mentioned below have been short listed.

1) Rocket Appartamento
    2) Bezzera Mitica Top
    3) Bezzera Domus Galatea

i guess throw in a fourth option too

4) Rocket Mozzafiato Type V

If you had a choice and it was your money which would you pick? $3200 is my absolute maximum I am willing to spend. I know the Rocket Appartamento is nearly a grand less than what I plan to spend but it is aesthetically pleasing for its price point. Reliability on the other hand seems to be a mixed bag compared to the other two Bezzera models listed so possibly leaning more towards those two.

Thoughts?

*edit

Probably should have posted this in the 1500-3k section. Mods please move if preferred
    Last edited by JZ4; 1 Week Ago at 04:03 PM.

Hi JZ4.

There are unlikely to be any (many?) owners who have owned even two of your list, so what you'll get here is opinions and they're like commodores- everybody's got one. If someone actually owns one on your list, it will likely be "the best" for whatever reasons. Most of us don't like to think we've purchased the worst.

Best bet is to call a few resellers/sponsors and ask for a compare and contrast. Only then will you be able to select your very own "the best", which will be the right machine for your own set of requirements.
    Dimal likes this.

What's your usage like? How many of what coffees a day? Have any big coffee serving parties regularly? What are you hoping to Scheiber be upgrading? What drew you to these machines? What grinder do you have? Are you planning to upgrade that too?

JZ4
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Hi JZ4.

Best bet is to call a few resellers/sponsors and ask for a compare and contrast. Only then will you be able to select your very own "the best", which will be the right machine for your own set of requirements.
    Yeah that will be on the cards. I got a place not too far from me that houses two or three of those machines but wanted to see what real world people have to say about it. But I know what you mean by people will of corse say it’s the best as they own it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What's your usage like? How many of what coffees a day? Have any big coffee serving parties regularly? What are you hoping to Scheiber be upgrading? What drew you to these machines? What grinder do you have? Are you planning to upgrade that too?
    Usage is somewhat mixed during the week. Maybe 5 to 6 coffees a day. Weekends more, and then when entertaining about 10-12 people once/twice a month when we throw something on the spit.

My grinder is a ECM S Automatic 64 it’s served me well and don’t see a need to upgrade this.

What drew me to these machines obviously as anything it was the aesthetics. Then got me to comparing the specs. One feature that stands out is the brute steaming power of the Domus Galatea. But to be honest both Bazzers that I listed are somewhat similar and seem to be better built than the Rockets? I’m leaning me toward the Mitica due to a rotary pump so quieter operation but that for me isn’t the be all end all, especially if the Domus is cheaper? I see a lot of praise for Bezzera but info is a little scarce for the two I mentioned. So hoping any owners can chime in in their opinions

Quote Originally Posted by JZ4 View Post
    If you had a choice and it was your money which would you pick? $3200 is my absolute maximum I am willing to spend.
    Profitec Pro 500 PID seems to have a lot of support for a Heat Exchanger (Hx) machine in your price range.

If you want a plumb-in machine then the Bezzera Mitica TOP with rotary pump would be the choice but factor in the cost of in-line filtration as well.

All of the above are great machines.

The Rockets tend to have the best build quality and hence are more reliable (source: my friend who is a coffee machine technician and also sells Bezzera, Rocket and La Marzocco - Rockets have the lowest rate of warranty claims which is close to nil).

As fsr as I have not used Bezzera before, I cannot say a bad word about the Rockets. Appartamento vs Giotto, there is not much difference really (unless you are meaning to invest into revoluzione).
    JZ4 likes this.

JZ4
    Ok I have narrowed it down to two machines now. So thanks to those who contributed. Now to decide.

1) Rocket Giotto Evoluzione R
    2) Bezzera Mitica TOP

Both seem to be relatively similar in specs and both can be plumped which they will be eventually. Now itís down to reliability and build quality. Both can be had for a very similar price and Iíll try and haggle and get it for less for cash. I read the levers for the steam and water are better than the rotary knobs (durability wise) and easier to replace if needed? Is that true?

Looks like a tough decision for me I had a laugh
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ4 View Post
    Ok I have narrowed it down to two machines now. So thanks to those who contributed. Now to decide.

1) Rocket Giotto Evoluzione R
    2) Bezzera Mitica TOP

Both seem to be relatively similar in specs and both can be plumped which they will be eventually. Now itís down to reliability and build quality. Both can be had for a very similar price and Iíll try and haggle and get it for less for cash. I read the levers for the steam and water are better than the rotary knobs (durability wise) and easier to replace if needed? Is that true?

Looks like a tough decision for me I had a laugh
    Both good machines JZ4, I suspect you will be happy with either.

My preference is for rotary valves, more control and very easy to replace seals.

I own a Bezzera machine, excellent build and has been very reliable over 10 years.
    Dimal and JZ4 like this.

JZ4
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Both good machines JZ4, I suspect you will be happy with either.

My preference is for rotary valves, more control and very easy to replace seals.

I own a Bezzera machine, excellent build and has been very reliable over 10 years.
    I read every single yearly update thread from you regarding the Gelatea!

I think I am going to go with the Bezzera Mitica TOP. I've read a lot of praise about Bezzera's build quality from a number of forums so that is nice and reassuring. Some issues were mostly user induced which obviously is always bound to happen.

Didn't get a chance to go into the store over the weekend and have a look at it in the flesh but I will certainly do it this weekend.
    Dimal and Yelta like this.