• 2 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By gerbi
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By Vittorio

Thread: Tips to de scale GS3

Tips to de scale GS3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks, any tips or tricks on how best to de scale my GS3 ? cant seem to find any videos , machine is plumed and i use a filter but have had some calcification issues so I'm guessing my boiler will have build up also.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by marksosh View Post
    Hi folks, any tips or tricks on how best to de scale my GS3 ? cant seem to find any videos , machine is plumed and i use a filter but have had some calcification issues so I'm guessing my boiler will have build up also.
    Thanks in advance
    Yes. Have it done by a professional who knows what he/she is doing and then only if it needs descaling.

It's probably not a good idea to spend near $10k on a machine and then embark on a procedure that may not be required on the basis of "tips".... Leave it to a tech who already has all of the tips. Chances are it will save you money in the wrong run.
    Dimal and marksosh like this.

machine is plumed and i use a filter but have had some calcification issues

Sorry, I am not helping... Out of curiosity what filter are you using?

I am using an Everpure cartridge in an inline under sink set up, think it works ok

I am using an Everpure cartridge in an inline under sink set up, think it works ok
    I was under impression if filter is good the water will even slowly dissolve existing scale...
    marksosh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbi View Post
    I was under impression if filter is good the water will even slowly dissolve existing scale...
    I suspect that may have been a "tip" as well. Unless the water is acidified by the filter, it's not going to dissolve scale. With stainless boilers, you definitely don't want acidified water, nor chlorine, nor chloramines.

Most owners with stainless boiler espresso gear get filtration comprehensively wrong and then wonder why when the boilers fail. Do the research to allow the choice of what's right rather than what you may think is right.

I am yet to meet a plumber with faintest idea about appropriate espresso machine filtration. Some can't even assemble a filter and PLV to install it correctly . Same goes for your chosen (insert hardware mob name here).
    Dimal, gerbi and marksosh like this.

One of the most important things you can do to deter scale build up, is to turn over the water in your steam boiler.

Pull a couple of cups each day from the hot water wand. Use the hot water for your prep, clean up, cup warming etc.
    JohnA and marksosh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    One of the most important things you can do to deter scale build up, is to turn over the water in your steam boiler.
    Yes- a good thing. It will still not protect stainless boilers from inadequate water though.

Can you suggest or recommend a suitable filtration system ? I ended up taking to brew solutions in Brisbane for full service , cost me a bit but peace of mind things are rite is priceless .

Have your water professionally tested. A good pool shop can be a good start. Some QLD water is more than capable of killing stainless boilers.

I know of CS'ers close to the CBD in Brisbane who have had to go to RO to provide stainless boiler friendly water.

https://techcenter.lamarzocco.com/js...calculator.jsp is a great tool to check suitability.

Thanks, appreciate your time. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post

Pull a couple of cups each day from the hot water wand. Use the hot water for your prep, clean up, cup warming etc.
    Does the hot water in hot water wand come from steam boiler (not brew boiler)?

On Breville Dual Boiler I can either do steam and brew simultaneously or steam and hot water.
    But not brew and hot water together - it looks like brew and hot water are using the same pump.

Based on these observations I assumed in Breville Dual Boiler hot water comes from brew boiler.

I might be very wrong.
    marksosh likes this.

On Breville Dual Boiler I can either do steam and brew simultaneously or steam and hot water.
    But not brew and hot water together - it looks like brew and hot water are using the same pump.

Based on these observations I assumed in Breville Dual Boiler hot water comes from brew boiler.

I might be very wrong.
    You are correct about the BDB, many other machines it does not though.
    marksosh likes this.

I understood the OP to be using a GS3. The hot water comes from the steam boiler.

In fact most typical machines supply hot water from the steam boiler and rely on pressure only, there is no pump involved. In fact you can even use the hot water tap for some time (often up to 15 minutes) after the machine has been completely switched off, until the steam boiler water has cooled.
    gerbi and marksosh like this.

Brita C Finest, or BWT Best Protect are designed to perform better with stainless boilers.. Considering you have a GS3.
    Othwerise BWT Bestmax premium are good really for flavour enhancer not as good with stainless corrosion.

I hope this helped
    marksosh likes this.