• 3 Post By Meggs8
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 4 Post By Meggs8
  • 2 Post By GreenHorn

Thread: New Machine Advice Pls

New Machine Advice Pls

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,
    Im after a new machine I have about AUD$4k total (machine, grinder etc)
    I would only need 3-4 coffees pd (macchiato + long black) but importantly Im not after a new hobby - just awesome coffee.
    Assuming I could get away with $500-$800 on a grinder and rest on a machine ($3200-$3500).

Im not over keen on an integrated breville as there appears to be many recent comments re flaws, though I do love how grinder is integrated an my wife can rely on the fully auto features. However the consistent theme appears to be that they are not very reliable...

I realise that there are EOFY sales and 'sometime' discounts for CS members but what are your thoughts on:
    Grinders: $500-$800
    Machines: $3200-$3500

Thanks in advance for your help!

Profitec Pro 500 (HX w/ PID) - $2899
    Niche Zero grinder - $1249

Might be able to swing them together from $4k if you buy tomorrow for EOFY...
    madaxle and GreenHorn like this.

I'm still finding my way with coffee and equipment but having done a number of upgrades so far would recommend you focus far more on the grinder. It has been said - beans, beans, beans then grinder and oh by the way an espresso machine. It has taken me quite a while to realise the truth of this. It is so easy to get seduced by the glitz and bells and whistles of an espresso machine you forget that without good beans and good grind you will go nowhere.

I have just bought a Niche grinder and love it for quality grind and single dosing. I can now easily choose which blend i want for every shot. But do get the best grinder you can. Probably about $1,000 in the range you seem to be looking at.
    Pretzal, magnafunk and 338 like this.

Hey Meggs8 - yeah the Niche looks like a Dream - and your approach is solid advice.

Site Sponsor
    Greenhorn;
    yes there some EOFY at the moment
    https://dibartoli.com.au/eofys-collection/

Regards
    Renzo

Hi Greenhorn

Renzo from DiBartoli is a site sponsor and has been really helpful to me in the past. $4k budget let you get a great grinder and a quality machine if happy to buy now. I have at home a Niche Zero grinder and a DiBartoli Lumina (ECM Mechanika) that looks to be $3600 currently and enjoy them. If you want to spend a shade over $4k you’d be able to get a machine with PID, if that’s important to you, Profitec Pro 500 or Rocket Type V (Giotto or mozzafatio, same machine difference body).
    At this point to me it really depends on what you like the look of as all are great machines

https://dibartoli.com.au/niche-zero-grinder/

https://dibartoli.com.au/di-bartoli-...ys-collection/

https://dibartoli.com.au/profitec-pr...ys-collection/

https://dibartoli.com.au/rocket-mozz...ys-collection/

Thanks

Martin

Hi Grerenhorn,

I would suggest that the grinder you get has an electronic timed dose. This makes it easy for your wife to step up to the machine and just press the button for a 2 cup dose, then tamp and pull a shot. I would suggest the Macap M42D or Eureka Atom, then the remainder on whichever machine fits your preference.

Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I would only need 3-4 coffees pd (macchiato + long black) but importantly Im not after a new hobby - just awesome coffee.
    Assuming I could get away with $500-$800 on a grinder and rest on a machine ($3200-$3500).
    Due to your preferred coffee and the low volume of both coffee and milk, you could well get away with an ECM Classika PID and spend the money you save on an excellent grinder. You also will be assured that the hot water quality in your long blacks will be without question as you're constantly running water through the Single Boiler.

Easier to service and less to go wrong when compared to a Hx machine and would use less power. PID makes it easier to achieve consistent brews.

https://www.ecm.de/en/products/detai.../classika-pid/
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 30th June 2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Link added
    338 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Hi Grerenhorn,

I would suggest that the grinder you get has an electronic timed dose. This makes it easy for your wife to step up to the machine and just press the button for a 2 cup dose, then tamp and pull a shot. I would suggest the Macap M42D or Eureka Atom, then the remainder on whichever machine fits your preference.

Cheers, Dave
    Yes both excellent grinders both on my shortlist.

If you do go for the Niche, one thing that was suggested elsewhere and I have found really useful is to buy something like the Decor 75ml Lunch Break tubs. Then pre weigh a few shots. These tubs fit nicely into 58mm portafilter. Now all you, or your wife, has to do is drop a tub full into grinder. Niche is ultra quiet!

Just be careful to settle the grounds a bit before lifting the stainless Niche cup off the portafilter. First time i tried the grounds were all to one side and spilt everywhere.

Decor Lunch Break Tubs.jpg
    Pretzal, DaveD, SanderP and 1 others like this.

Hey THANKS everyone!

Ive been under the weather last few days and not had a chance to reply to all of the generous advice and feedback - so thank you all.

By the by, Ive ordered the Niche. It won out due to the quietness.

Meggs8 - love the suggestion.
    Meggs8 and Dimal like this.

Rocket rotary pump HX are also within your rough budget as is the forthcoming Izzo Alex PID. It has a 2.3L boiler and SS chassis- steam monster.