Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 2 Post By shauno

Thread: Help with Oracle Touch - Under extracted coffee

Help with Oracle Touch - Under extracted coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there, got this machine last week; before this one I had a breville barista express for 10 years, very happy with it, used to get balanced rich coffee with good crema, full flavour, etc. but it started failing and the oracle was a very attractive option so went for it with EoFY sale.
    I've been trying to get at least as good coffee as the one we got with the barista express but very far from it. The beans are the same, cups and filter preheated; we started with the default settings but had to set grinder all the way down to 1 as we keep getting under extracted coffee, even with 1. We even tried some extra manual tamping; coffee improved a bit but still not as good, only tiny bit of crema.
    The coffee starts flowing at 6-7 seconds and set to 24 sec., get around 17-19gr of coffee in grinder.
    Next test will be with roasted beans, however as mentioned, previous beans (not roasted ones but ok for cappuccinos) come out well and good with the barista express; they did during many years, so not sure what else to try with the oracle, any idea of what's happening? shouldn't the coffee from the oracle be at least as good as with the old machine?
    Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by kimos View Post
    Hi there, got this machine last week; before this one I had a breville barista express for 10 years, very happy with it, used to get balanced rich coffee with good crema, full flavour, etc. but it started failing and the oracle was a very attractive option so went for it with EoFY sale.
    I've been trying to get at least as good coffee as the one we got with the barista express but very far from it. The beans are the same, cups and filter preheated; we started with the default settings but had to set grinder all the way down to 1 as we keep getting under extracted coffee, even with 1. We even tried some extra manual tamping; coffee improved a bit but still not as good, only tiny bit of crema.
    The coffee starts flowing at 6-7 seconds and set to 24 sec., get around 17-19gr of coffee in grinder.
    Next test will be with roasted beans, however as mentioned, previous beans (not roasted ones but ok for cappuccinos) come out well and good with the barista express; they did during many years, so not sure what else to try with the oracle, any idea of what's happening? shouldn't the coffee from the oracle be at least as good as with the old machine?
    Thanks for any input.
    Hi Kimos, welcome. Just wondering what sort of beans the previous one were, you mention they weren't roasted (green, baked, etc)? I will take a guess and suggest thing might go better with freshly roasted beans from a specialty roaster, not a supermarket. I am guessing (and this is a guess only, haven't used a Touch) that your Touch is more sensitive to bean quality. If you are spending $3k + on a machine worth feeding it good beans.
    level3ninja likes this.

It definitely shouldn’t be on 1 for grind - check the upper burr setting, maybe it was out from the factory?

Do you have the white glove service in your area?

Thanks 338, good guesses, beans are the Vittoria ones, Mountain Grown version, from woollies, obviously not roasted, however, and I know most people disagree, are not ultra bad if coffee is mixed with milk for cappuccinos; actually, many people like my cappuccinos a lot made in the old breville.

It also crossed my mind that, given that there isn't an obvious culprit, that the machine is tuned to get good results with roasted beans and not too much with supermarket beans, and now that you also mentioned it, perhaps it's not too far fetched. I already ordered roasted beans from a local supplier, so let's see how this changes things. BTW, 2.7k on the EoFY sale...

Thanks also to Shauno, it's a good point, it sounds logical that burr setting is off, it lines up with the issue, i'll have a look; i believe the factory setting should be around the 8 mark?

Not sure about the white glove service... is that the demo from breville?

Cheers guys, very much appreciated and have a good night

Yes white glove is the demo service, you don't mention where you are and probably wont be in the bush. I think the new beans will provide a better starting point.

Ps beans are probably roasted but not fresh.

Hi all, just reporting back; I found the reason for the issue I was having; turned out that with the old breville barista express, the shots were OK because I was using the dual wall basket, which helps a lot in extracting good stuff from supermarket beans. As the oracle doesn't come with 58mm dual wall baskets, the results using single or dual wall would be very different.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a double wall 2 cup basket that works with the oracle?

The burr setting was OK at 6, I pushed it to 2 with a slight improvement.

As for the fresh roasted beans, I got the bag but just waiting for the 5 days for the beans to be ready.

Thanks All

The double wall double basket from the BES920 will fit. I have no idea how well it will work. What's your location? I have one that's never been used with no plans to start.

That's very nice of you mate; happy to accept; I'll PM you...

Please just stick with the “normal” basket & use decent beans - the machine can make a decent coffee, it’d be a shame to fake it with double wall baskets...

See if you can get the white glove service in your area, they’ll help dial in a good shot
    Javaphile and Dalby like this.