Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: The Coffee Stork delivered!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    A wise guy, eh?
    Well, woman actually. That's from the stoning scene from The Life of Brian.
    wattgn likes this.

Congrats on the pick up. I write this whilst i enjoy a coffeesnobs gold from the same machine
    Dimal and flynnaus like this.

Pro 600 vs Cremina

I am currently drinking the last of my Ethiopian Geyusu Select, roasted on Aug 31 and opened on Aug 7. I stopped the roast at 217 degrees. The shots and lattes prepared on the Pro 600 have been nice but perhaps not as flavoursome as I would have liked. This might be understandable given the greens were more than 3 years old.
    However, I ran the bean through the Olympia Cremina today and the coffees were sensational. It made me wonder whether this significantly better result was because
    • It was a Cremina
    • the bean was at its peak post-roast
    • I got a better pour from the Cremina. I was using the same grind but down-dosed the Cremina to 13.7g rather than the usual 14g.

I suspect a bit of all of the above might apply here.
    Longer pre-infusion times have shown (to me) to work well with Ethiopians. I can easily achieve this on the Cremina by raising the lever and holding for 10 seconds before pulling down. On the Pro 600 and my old Giotto, I've achieved longer pre-infusion with a finer grind and/or moving the brew lever to the halfway position for a few seconds before moving to the top to start the pour.
    Still honing my technique on the Pro but wondered whether I can get better results out of the Geyusu. I haven't dabbled with changing the brew temp yet but I wondered if raising a degree would provide any improvement. I've already tried tweaking the grind and dose. But again I suspect the Cremina shots are as good as I'll get from this roast.
    Dimal and snowytec like this.

In general Flynn do you prefer shots from your 600 or Cremina?

So far, definitely the Cremina but only one trial.
    If you are tossing up whether to get a Cremina, I would definitely recommend but only if you have a lazy $6k for a new one or , like me, able to pick up a second hand one.
    snowytec likes this.

Thanks Flynn, not really tossing up but like you if ever a good second hand one came it isn't the sort of machine you can take your time to research. Just always difficult to work out where each machines in the hierarchy, especially two as diverse as these

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    So far, definitely the Cremina but only one trial.
    If you are tossing up whether to get a Cremina, I would definitely recommend but only if you have a lazy $6k for a new one or , like me, able to pick up a second hand one.
    flynnaus,
    Totally agree, I also have a second hand new model, best thing I ever bought and makes by far the best infinitely adjustable coffee I've ever tasted.
    No computers, no screens, no pumps, no software updates No Noise !
    (Just pure home serviceable bulletproof class).

OCD also has one, says it's like playing a musical instrument - (brilliant insight, couldn't agree more).

Would like to see VST make baskets for Cremina's in my lifetime though.

For 338 Home-Barista.com have a large Lever section which includes a lot of Cremina posts.
    flynnaus and 338 like this.

A quick update, the shots from the Pro 600 were much better today suggesting that the beans had probably reached their peak by 12 days post roast. They were still not as good as the Cremina though. I've never experienced such flavours from espresso coffee prepared by a Cremina. You do need to work at technique a bit and weighing your shots is recommended. A good grinder is pretty much essential I'd say but to be fair I haven't tried Cremina coffee prepared using a mediocre grinder
    Dimal and 338 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12