Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The Coffee Stork delivered!

The Coffee Stork delivered!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Yes, that's right, the coffee stork flew by this morning and dropped off this baby. What could it be? Could it be ...? Surely not ...

DSC_0204.jpg
    Dimal and LauriG like this.

It's ...it's...
    DSC_0205.JPG

Yes! It is

A Profitec Pro 600 double boiler.

Here it is in its new home next to my Macap MXK grinder and Olympia Cremina

DSC_0206.JPG
    dan77, Dimal, matth3wh and 5 others like this.

OK, OK, there is no such thing as a coffee stork. Truth is, after eyeing off this machine online for the last 18 months I was finally in the position to take the leap.

Jetblack sales rep Ryan expertly took me through the ropes of the Profitec Pro 600 and 700. My main concern was whether I would regret not buying the more powerful 700 but an objective presentation assured me that the 600 would suit me quite nicely, thank you. Ryan also showed me the Lelit Bianca which I had often admired but my Olympia Cremina is able to perform pressure profiling duties.

A generous trade in offer on my old Giotto Premium Plus sealed the deal and the Pro 600 has now joined the Flynn household. I fired it up when I got it home and made 3 shots that poured too quickly so still need to dial in the grinder but a bit too wired now. That will have to wait until next time.

Thank you Charlie, Ryan and the Jetblack team for the customary great service!

Congratulations Flynn, well done.

Love the classic styling, I'm sure it will live up to its reputation.

I know you will keep us informed.
    flynnaus likes this.

So much bling and so much coffee...

Good one Steve.

Mal.
    flynnaus likes this.

Must add, I'm a big fan of rotary valves/taps.
    LauriG likes this.

Nice Flynn, would be great to hear your thoughts on the pro 600 compared to the old Giotto once you have had a good chance to test it out
    flynnaus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    In my extensive research, I also looked at the ECM Synchronika which featured toggle steam and water valves. It was claimed by some that this was an almost compelling reason to buy the ECM over its relative, the Profitec Pro 700. I guess I'll never know. I have always had rotaries on my prosumer machines and have not been disappointed. It wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker if a machine had toggle valves but I prefer the look of rotaries. The quality of the steam is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Nice Flynn, would be great to hear your thoughts on the pro 600 compared to the old Giotto once you have had a good chance to test it out
    Thanks all. I will certainly be reporting on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    In my extensive research, I also looked at the ECM Synchronika which featured toggle steam and water valves. It was claimed by some that this was an almost compelling reason to buy the ECM over its relative, the Profitec Pro 700. I guess I'll never know. I have always had rotaries on my prosumer machines and have not been disappointed but it wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker if a machine had toggle valves but I prefer the look of rotaries. The quality of the steam is more important.
    I like the hands off ability to regulate the steam flow that rotary valves provide, I usually start steaming quite vigorously, however by the end of the process I've backed of considerably.
    LauriG likes this.

WOW! I had Pro 600 in my sights but my budget did not allow it. Looking forward to a review. Congratulations!

As for rotary valves, I need to learn from Yelta and wind back towards the end.

Rotary rocks! The machine looks really good!
    flynnaus likes this.

Agree, the Pro 600 is a very classy machine indeed...
    You're going to have to do a lot of experimenting now mate, to identify which beans/roast profiles go best with what Brew Water Temp.
    Lotsa fun ahead...

Mal.
    flynnaus likes this.

Hahaha loved the progressive unveiling XD

AWESOME, enjoy that beauty mate, so cool
    Dimal and flynnaus like this.

Made my first lattes this morning The Pro 600 is quick to come up to temperature - after 15 mins both boilers had heated up and the grouphead was almost hot enough. 20 minutes to get to optimum temp I think but gave it 30 mins to be sure.
    Only had time to make one brew. After yesterday, I tightened the grind considerably - a bit too tight it turned out as it took 38 seconds to pour two shots. However, a slower pour seems to suit the Ethiopia Geyusu Select beans I roasted on July 19. Steaming of 300ml of milk took a bit longer than on the trusty old Giotto so I will look at getting a 4 hole steam wand tip. I have to say it was an excellent brew - flavoursome but smooth.
    PID is preset to 93 degrees brew and 130 degrees steam boiler.
    Very pleased with my first real attempt. When I have more time, I'll tweak the grind a little coarser.
    Dimal, matth3wh and level3ninja like this.

Congratulations on your new purchase, Flynn! Well done!
    flynnaus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    Congratulations on your new purchase, Flynn! Well done!
    It's not the Vesuvius you encouraged me to buy but I'm sure we will get along fine
    Dimal likes this.

Update on the Pro 600

Day 3 of ownership and first off, the shot quality has been sensational. Haven't felt the need to adjust anything. Now drinking Ethiopian Sidamo Fairtrade (bought from Jetblack). After having to dial much finer for the Ethiopian Geyusu, now having to dial all the way back out. But even with a 38 second double, it was a flavorsome and smooth shot.
    Still trying to nail the milk texturing and with a 2 hole tip, it takes much longer than my previous machine that had a 4 hole tip. But I think I could be making mostly short or long blacks or lungos from now on.

Given the shots I have been making so far, my decision to buy the Pro 600 is more than justified and if you are in the market for a sub-$4k double boiler, definitely include this machine on your short list.

Day 3 of ownership and first off, the shot quality has been sensational. Haven't felt the need to adjust anything. Now drinking Ethiopian Sidamo Fairtrade (bought from Jetblack). After having to dial much finer for the Ethiopian Geyusu, now having to dial all the way back out. But even with a 38 second double, it was a flavorsome and smooth shot.
    Still trying to nail the milk texturing and with a 2 hole tip, it takes much longer than my previous machine that had a 4 hole tip. But I think I could be making mostly short or long blacks or lungos from now on.

Given the shots I have been making so far, my decision to buy the Pro 600 is more than justified and if you are in the market for a sub-$4k double boiler, definitely include this machine on your short list.
    Sounds good Flynn, as a matter of interest what method do you use to pull a Lungo, i.e. dose extraction time and volume, the Lungo is my coffee of choice 95% of the time, it's seldom mentioned on CS, am interested in the way others go about producing it.

Must admit I'm surprised re your comments on steam from the Pro600, my old Bezzera is a steamin demon, 2 hole tip, single 2 litre boiler Hx, if anything steam can be a bit too vigorous, one of the reasons I like rotary valves, allows me to back the steam off toward the end of the process, have not timed it but at a guess 20 seconds to steam 250ml from cold.

I've got the Pro 600 too. Try bumping the stream boiler up a few degrees rather than using the 4 hole tip. I found the 4 hole tip out of control on relatively small amount a of milk.
    flynnaus likes this.

Sounds good Flynn, as a matter of interest what method do you use to pull a Lungo, i.e. dose extraction time and volume, the Lungo is my coffee of choice 95% of the time, it's seldom mentioned on CS, am interested in the way others go about producing it.

Must admit I'm surprised re your comments on steam from the Pro600, my old Bezzera is a steamin demon, 2 hole tip, single 2 litre boiler Hx, if anything steam can be a bit too vigorous, one of the reasons I like rotary valves, allows me to back the steam off toward the end of the process, have not timed it but at a guess 20 seconds to steam 250ml from cold.
    When I first read about the lungo (it wasn't called that in the article), someone was advocating a looser grind to pour 100-150 ml. That has been pretty much my method on the few occasions I make one and that is usually when I have something special in the grinder. I tend to make a long black if I want to go milkless. I wrote about this on CS many years ago but some poo-pooed the idea. I'm not into weighing and measuring my shots so can't give you precise numbers.

Yeah, my old Giotto was like that. It could steam 200ml of milk in a 400 ml jug in less than 20 seconds but with a 4 hole tip. My Pro 600 takes about twice that.
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowds1122 View Post
    I've got the Pro 600 too. Try bumping the stream boiler up a few degrees rather than using the 4 hole tip. I found the 4 hole tip out of control on relatively small amount a of milk.
    Thanks bowds. My PID currently shows a steam boiler temp of 130 degrees. I'll give 132 degrees a try.
    I am used to using a 4 hole tip and I might buy one anyway for larger jugs.

When I first read about the lungo (it wasn't called that in the article), someone was advocating a looser grind to pour 100-150 ml. That has been pretty much my method on the few occasions I make one and that is usually when I have something special in the grinder. I tend to make a long black if I want to go milkless. I wrote about this on CS many years ago but some poo-pooed the idea.
    Interesting, yep, must admit I have been met with mild skepticism on CS when discussing the Lungo and process of making.

I tend to make mine a bit shorter than you, I look to pour approx 90ml.

Bowds may well be on to something with raising the steam boiler temp.
    flynnaus likes this.

I can't remember the exact temp, but it equates to 1.7-1.8 bar of pressure. Works well for me. Your machine should have come with a 4 hole tip as well in the accessory box!
    flynnaus likes this.

For those wanting to know...
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/s...ies-d_457.html

Mal.
    flynnaus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowds1122 View Post
    Your machine should have come with a 4 hole tip as well in the accessory box!
    Ah, so it does. It was in the same slot as the cleaning brush. It wasn't listed in the 'Included wih delivery' accessories list in the manual so didn't look for it. I noticed an extra length of plastic tube in the accessory box as well. Any idea what that's for?

Nah, sorry, I haven't looked to see which hose it's a backup for.

Ah, so it does. It was in the same slot as the cleaning brush. It wasn't listed in the 'Included wih delivery' accessories list in the manual so didn't look for it. I noticed an extra length of plastic tube in the accessory box as well. Any idea what that's for?
    That plastic tube miiiight be for the cool touch wand. Like an extra?

I noticed an extra length of plastic tube in the accessory box as well. Any idea what that's for?
    https://www.ecm.de/en/service/faq/

I had the same piece supplied with my ECM Classika PID. It is listed as "silicone tube for water filter". It is for a ECM in-tank water filter. I don't know if they sell those filters in Australia. See pic below:

ECM-Zubehoer-Wasserfilter-Hauptbild.jpg

From ECM website FAQ "service" section:
    Use of the water filter (item no. C639900940):
    Before use, keep the filter under running water so that it can soak up with water.
    Then place the filter in a large container with 1 liter of water for at least 5 minutes. This ensures that all the granules are soaked with water.
    The filter is ready for use as soon as it sinks into the water.
    Now the filter can be connected to the water tank via the silicone hose (in the machine accessories). To do this, take the silicone hose and connect it to the water tank, let water run through the hose. There must be no air in the hose as air is then drawn into the system. Now connect the silicone hose to the water filter and place it in the water tank.
    Remove about 400 ml of water through the brew group. As soon as the water flows out of the brew group, your espresso machine is ready for operation again.
    Please renew the filter at intervals of 2 months to ensure proper functioning of your machine.

Cheers,
    LG
    flynnaus and bowds1122 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    That plastic tube miiiight be for the cool touch wand. Like an extra?
    That was my thought as well but there is a teflon tube already inserted in the steam wand and it is thinner than the spare tube. LauriG has solved the mystery.
    simonsk8r and LauriG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LauriG View Post
    https://www.ecm.de/en/service/faq/

I had the same piece supplied with my ECM Classika PID. It is listed as "silicone tube for water filter". It is for a ECM in-tank water filter. I don't know if they sell those filters in Australia. See pic below
    Thanks very much Lauri.

I already have a water filtration system so I won't bother with the ECM filter
    LauriG likes this.

Just on the subject of steam control...I believe in 2 speeds. None...and flat out.

At least that's how I drive my Grimac. Pressurestat is set to 0.9 bar and being a commercial machine there's more than enough steam to drive a steam loco.

The rotary knob is turned to flat out and is never touched during steaming. When I'm done swirling, swirling, swirling and the bottom of the pitcher feels at the right temperature to the touch, I make sure not to move the pitcher while I turn the knob off ( otherwise can end up blowing bubbles in the now glossy microfoamed milk).

Actually, maximum steam is only a bit of a turn from shut, so there's no pesky turning, turning.

The machine came with a 4-hole tip but it was overwheming for 300 mls of milk for 2. So I bought a two-hole one which underperformed so I drilled out the holes with my smalles drill bit and am satisfied with the result.
    Dimal and flynnaus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Just on the subject of steam control...I believe in 2 speeds. None...and flat out.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was taught when I learned to steam: turn it on full bore and turn it off when the milk reaches desired temperature
    robusto likes this.

Yep, beats me why people think that the Steam Valve is meant to be used the same as a household water tap...
    Not meant to be used as a Proportional Valve; just Flat-out, then Off - Adjusters need to learn how to texture milk properly.

Mal.
    flynnaus and robusto like this.

I noticed an extra length of plastic tube in the accessory box as well. Any idea what that's for?
    When I purchased my Pro 500 a few years ago I had the same question. On enquiry from me to the retailer (Di Bartoli), I was advised it was to connect an option water softener, which in my case, was not needed. Don't know why Profitec still don't mention it in the manual.
    Congratulations on your new machine.

Cheers
    Mal.

P.S. Oops, I see LauriG has already provided the answer. Weird that ECM provide details but Profitec don't, given their relationship.
    Last edited by Brewster; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:14 AM. Reason: P.S/

Thanks for confirming Mal
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Yep, beats me why people think that the Steam Valve is meant to be used the same as a household water tap...
    Not meant to be used as a Proportional Valve; just Flat-out, then Off - Adjusters need to learn how to texture milk properly.

Mal.
    Morning all.

Oh dear, seems I've been sprung! I'm an adjuster, broken one of the commandments, been a naughty boy, perhaps a degree of contrition is in order, maybe even a penance, the shame.
    level3ninja likes this.

Thou hast been made conscious of thy wicked, wicked ways of blasphemy. Now, take ye heed of the way of the righteous and go forth and be absolved my son.
    simonsk8r likes this.

@Yelta 😆
    images.jpeg
    Yelta and level3ninja like this.

This morning I bumped up the steam boiler by 2 degrees AND attached the 4 hole tip. It steamed a half filled 700 ml jug in very quick time. Reattached the 2 hole tip and steamed a 400 ml jug in quite reasonable time.
    Last edited by flynnaus; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:07 PM. Reason: Oops 400 ml, not 4

@Yelta 
    images.jpeg
    That's me on the right, red beard, the one they're pointing at.

This morning I bumped up the steam boiler by 2 degrees AND attached the 4 hole tip. It steamed a half filled 700 ml jug in very quick time. Reattached the 2 hole tip and steamed a 4 ml jug in quite reasonable time.
    Sounds like its all coming together Flynn.

4ml is a tiny amount to steam! surprised you were able to keep it in the jug.
    magnafunk likes this.

Haha, beat me to it. Far it for me to put words in people's mouths (or posts), but presumably Flynnaus omitted a couple of zeros .
    flynnaus and Yelta like this.

As for rotary valves, I need to learn from Yelta and wind back towards the end.
    Oh, I repent! I have been following the wrong messiah! I will correct my ways.

Oh, I repent! I have been following the wrong messiah! I will correct my ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HB7zqP9QNo
    And now F*** off.
    LauriG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Haha, beat me to it. Far it for me to put words in people's mouths (or posts), but presumably Flynnaus omitted a couple of zeros .
    Think you may have nailed it.

Yeah, some would consider having no milk in the milk jug to be the correct outcome (coffee should not be sullied with any additives ).

Proofreading before I hit the Post button is not one of my strong points
    Dimal likes this.

Me too. I am a big fan too of these E61 groups and the chrome. It is what you call a timeless design.

In 20 years time, it will still look good and you should be able to get parts. All that helps with value retention.
    Dimal likes this.

That's me on the right, red beard, the one they're pointing at.
    A wise guy, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast