Thread: Opinions on the La Cimbali Junior?

Opinions on the La Cimbali Junior?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday,
    with the napolitana playing up again, a boys dreams turn to bigger & better things as upgraditis sets in.
    One possible option is the Junior (M21), so while Ive done some reading on home-barista about the machine, I thought Id see if there were any coffee-snob locals with thoughts on the Junior, particularly focusing on its ability to produce a great espresso.
    She has kind of a functional beauty to her (is that a nice way of saying her personality makes her more attractive?), but Id like to hear from anyone whos lived with one day to day & tasted the sweet nectar of success, or the bitter taste of defeat at the hands of this machine.

Cheers,
    Mike

Re: Opinions on the La Cimbali Junior?

BTW, am I right in thinking the Junior & the Faema E98 S1 are one & the same machine?

Hi:

I know Ben at Biobeans had one of these. They are quite a robust machine and well suited for home use.

Ive always favoured a machine with a rotary pump as they are so heavy duty and they sound better. This adds $1000 to the cost of the M21 though.

I have a Bezzera BZ40 which is an excellent machine, outstanding in fact and they are available for about $3000 mark with a rotary pump.

I live in Perth which means when I want spares i have to phone Barazi in Sydney but the guys there are really so cool and go out of their way to help me.

Grant

TC

Hi Mike,

Might I suggest that you also have a really good look at the LaSpaziale Vivaldi II as well? There are already 2 of ours in WA. They represent incredible bang for buck and have had fantastic reviews. They are dual boiler, rotary pump, temp. adjustable and they need to be plumbed.

I am highly impressed by them.

Happy to assist if I can.

Chris

Hi Mike,

Try sending a PM to mauricem. He has two of these machines and seems pretty happy with them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Could be a little futile, Sparky---Mauricem was last on line 5 months ago.

tim
    Administrator

Mike,

I bought a La Cimbali Junior S (the tank only version) brand-new from a person who won it about 2 years ago and have found it to be a great machine, built like a tank and requiring very little maintenance as long as you look after it properly.
    It does have the odd vice however:
    - It runs fairly hot and requires a substantial flush before you pull a shot if it has been idle for longer than 3 minutes. (Ive been too lazy/busy/name-your-excuse to tweak it but I believe Maurice has tweaked his two).
    - As per Grants advice, if I had my druthers, I would probably have gone for a plumbed-in model even though more expensive.

Finally, since I bought this, I reckon there have been some better value machines pop up on the market.
    I would seriously have a look at the LaSpaziale that Chris mentioned above, its got me thinking "upgrade".

Tim

I dont know about the Spatziale machine but boiler machines are a good idea, at least when they have a honking big boiler like a 2L or so. Most heat exchanger machines do seem to run hot, probably tuned for throughput. My Bezzera is one of the few heat exchanger machines I know of that needs little or no purging. The heat exchanger machines can be made to run cooler. Normally it is done by changing the length of the PTFE tube that runs into the heat exchanger to increase/decrease mixing. Im not familiar with all the models though.

If the Junior runs too hot I would suggest talking to a technician about it, someone who knows exactly what they are doing, of course.

Anyway, although I am happy with my machine, very happy, I still think double boiler machines are a good idea.

Grant

I just read up the La Spatziale Vivaldi 2. It seems like an excellent machine and has the rotary pump which i like. It is priced reasonably too.

The group boiler of .45L seems tiny but then you would have to assume that they know what they are doing. It does come down in part to how fast any temperature drop is sensed and how quickly the heater heats up. I guess that is where you go to analaboutcoffee.com to read the latest review.

Seriously nice machine although I still like the heavy use of stainless on my Bezzera. Still looks brand new after 11 years.

Grant

tim
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by wattgn link=1188644294/0#7 date=1190120478

If the Junior runs too hot I would suggest talking to a technician about it, someone who knows exactly what they are doing, of course.
    True enough Grant,
    Ive just got to get off my culo and do it!
    Ive seen a few tweaking guides for it on the web (such as in the HB site) but Im starting to think that Ill trade her in for a rotary pump job when we do up the kitchen.
    As long as you flush it and do things right (and use good coffee), the coffee from it is fantastic.
    Hey, who knows, I might even look at a Bez !!! :-)

Cheers guys... the pondering continues.