Thread: Rancilio S26

Rancilio S26

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have just purchased a near new Expobar Elegance 2 Group from a winery who had upgraded to a new machine and as I was about to head out the door, the guy said "are you interested in taking this single group machine with you as well" It was a rancilio S26 that has been sitting in storage for around 2 years or so.

I fired it up and its all good apart from the steam assembly is continually leaking steam, which I found could be replaced for a little over a hundree bucks, so with the machine pulled apart at the moment, I thought the next model up in the single group Rancilios is the S27 which had the fully automatic volumetric touchpads, is it possible to convert an S26 into an S27 by replacing the front panel and some of the circutry or is it not possible?

Re: Rancilio S26

Id keep the semi auto as it is. Easier to use, less prone to problems.

Just fix the steam wand, give the machine a good descale and youre funky.

Why would you want to complicate it and add more bits with potetial to fail?

Not so simple unfortunately.

The difference between the volumetric and manual is more than just a row of touch pads.

The touch pads are only switches, which feed into a computer control box, which in turn operates a flow meter in the plumbing.

Oh, dont want to sound like a coffee snob ::) but is the S26 really an extreme machine? :o

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1188651775/0#3 date=1188717278
    Oh, dont want to sound like a coffee snob ::) but is the S26 really an extreme machine? :o
    Probably depends on whether it is the "Vibe-Pump" or "Rotary-Pump/Plumb-in" model I guess, but from what Ive seen around the traps, most of them are the plumb-in commercial jobs that fit into the "Extreme Category" very well :) 8-)....

Mal.

Hi,
    I think the S26 is an extreme machine - but Im biased - I own an S27.
    Besides - the S-series are built like tanks - with huge heavy-duty framing, powder-coated steel side panels, 4l boiler, Procon pumps, Gicar pressurestats etc. - much like a Cimbali Junior - and heavy buggers too.

Im pretty sure its only the S24 that is a vibe pump and S26 and S27 are both rotary.

New - I guess they would have retailed for $3000 plus - so that fits them there too.

And to the OP - the control board for the volumetric is kinda expensive - so probably not worth the effort to upgrade your S26 - and as Robusto said - lots of extra bits and pieces and wiring to sort it all out.

Frankie

Thanks folks, when I ordered the steam assembly and new arm arm from Mocopan they told me the same thing, leave it alone, its a great machine even as a semi auto.

The steam works perfectly, two issues though, how do I descale it? and once it gets up to temperature the group head produces an initial shot of very hot water & steam instead of the usual 93-95C water range, is that just a matter of turning the screw on the pressurstat.

Regards

Mark

I descaled a azkoyen bravo boiler by removing it completely and all pipework, soaked in citric acid bath and used a gerni that died halfway thru, try the high pressure guns at car lovers they worka treat,
    wedge the boiler behind your rear car wheel(ensure handbrake is on) and hold with your foot, stick the water gun in there and go nuts :D

also is a great conversation piece when some poor bugger comes up asking what it is so you crap on about it being some new fangled supercharger turbo in development :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sullo link=1188651775/0#7 date=1189464090
    also is a great conversation piece when some poor bugger comes up asking what it is so you crap on about it being some new fangled supercharger turbo in development :D
    I thought it was a major component from a new high pressure nitrous oxide delivery system ;)

Mal.

no I told him that the nitro had to be removed(pointing to the heat exchanger) that it kept blowing engine heads and cracking the block!

Funny thing is I know nothing about cars!

Hey Cafe Man on Wheels

I just scored an S26 as well with unknown history/abuse etc. Looks ok but will probably take it apart on the weekend...
    Is yours up and running? I got mine as is with no hoses etc so i might be off to a plumbing supply store.. how is the procon? pumping ok? we will see about mine soon.... ok just read your last post yours seems to be working ok
    How did you go with your pressure stat? Not having looked at the machine (or the internals of any HX for that matter) my intention is to PID it but first things first I guess..
    How was mocopan for support? im in WA but is there anyone to deal with regarding spares etc?

Anyway ciao for now