Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bachonga
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By quester

Thread: ECM Technika V PROFI - reviews & thoughts

ECM Technika V PROFI - any reviews or thoughts?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Been looking online and in the forum and while there’s plenty on the ECM Technika IV, I couldn’t find much on the V. If there’s a thread that explores it more please point me to it...

ok so I’ve done some research and I’m currently thinking the Technika V is the way to go with a Mazzer mini A to go with it.

my requirements are (apart from the ability to produce a superb brew)

- I want to buy the right machine & grinder - once.
    - must be able to be plumbed in, but not straight away necessarily
    - really want something quiet - I make coffees while I’m on the phone a lot
    - timer I think will help me while I’m learning / distracted
    - I’m not making coffee for large groups
    - I like the idea of PID, not sure I need it but hey, why not?
    - I like the idea of all levers

Am I on the right track?
    What do people think of the machine / grinder?
    what would you do differently for similar coin? Ie alternatives.
    Last edited by Sleeprequired; 1 Week Ago at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeprequired View Post
    Been looking online and in the forum and while there’s plenty on the ECM Technika IV, I couldn’t find much on the V. If there’s a thread that explores it more please point me to it...

ok so I’ve done some research and I’m currently thinking the Technika V is the way to go with a Mazzer mini A to go with it.

my requirements are (apart from the ability to produce a superb brew)

- I want to buy the right machine & grinder - once.
    - must be able to be plumbed in, but not straight away necessarily
    - really want something quiet - I make coffees while I’m on the phone a lot
    - timer I think will help me while I’m learning / distracted
    - I’m not making coffee for large groups
    - I like the idea of PID, not sure I need it but hey, why not?
    - I like the idea of all levers

Am I on the right track?
    What do people think of the machine / grinder?
    what would you do differently for similar coin? Ie alternatives.
    I would like to know and how much you are willing to spend?

It would help others with their suggestions.

If you are looking for something quite anything with a rotary pump will help you there but to what level of hush are you expecting?

At the end of the day a machine like this is going to make a great cup. IT comes down i think personally to the grinder you have and the person making it..

I cant speak for ECM, I can say though the Izzo range is worth a look. Maybe similar price range and fits a lot of what you are looking for.

Grinder, the only think i would say is have a read about flat burrs and conical burrs, so have a preference on these. I do and hence why i have a Eureka. either way though its once choice.

Cheers,

Chris

Everything you laid out is great. But honestly espresso machines are kinda like cars... you are never going to be completely satisfied with the one you own. A nice one is always waiting to drive by and redirect your attention.
    The upside of this is that it's fun. But honestly for just making coffee, most machines fit the bill of the "right machine"... it's just pushing water through your coffee! It's all the features or the way it looks that will make it fit you.

For example, a timer is not on my list of requirements. You can buy any timer and set it next to the machine. This isn't easy when distracted, but also not that hard. Opens up a lot of options of machines.
    Next is noise level. Again, kind of subjective and depends how important your calls are. I don't know if there is a machine that the other person on the other end of the line wont hear, combined with you not hearing quite as well...

These are definitely your deciding factors in my opinion. It sounds like you need a bit of ease and quietness at time. I would focus on quietness first, then look through the options you find to see if there is a timer.
    I would limit the need for a PID and lever only if it ever shows up after the previous filters.

Take a look at my thread for the La Cimbali Type R Restoration... I added a "Pulsor for QM67" piece recently that lowered the volume on my machine a lot, and I swapped in an ex4 pump instead of ex5. The difference is pretty astounding, but I still don't know if I would consider using it on an important call... Honestly it sounds pretty close to most rotary machines I have used. You will find neither of these in a machine stock, unless it is the Quickmill machine that uses this part. But you can purchase and add them (or get somebody to do it for you) on almost any machine.

Thanks for the contribution guys. I did a little tour of the traps today and had the opportunity to look at a few machines.

I looked at the Izzo Alex duetto today and also saw the rocket double boiler version. They’re both beautiful and although they’re double boiler I’m still trying to work out if I want that or the (cheaper) heat exchange versions. I was told today that the PID is ‘less effective’ on the heat exchangers and I’ve seen a whole thread of even experts arguing over how correct that is.

what’s got me now is the grinder choices. My friend purchased a niche zero today and it was handy from the point of view of being able to ‘dial’ in the grinder with new beans because there were no wasted shots from grind retention, but the downside is you have to weigh every coffee. The advice I received is the niche is way ahead of its peers in terms of grind quality for the money. It certainly seems popular here.

What appeals about say the eureka atom for me is the ability to dose without having to weigh or put new beans in each time which I think I’d prefer - once I get the beans dialled in. Up until that point the niche appeals because of the zero waste thing.

hmmm to be truthful it was a bit intimidating watching people who are good at what they’re doing having to dial things in. Makes me wonder what hope ive got I had a laugh.

Thanks for the contribution guys. I did a little tour of the traps today and had the opportunity to look at a few machines.

I looked at the Izzo Alex duetto today and also saw the rocket double boiler version. They’re both beautiful and although they’re double boiler I’m still trying to work out if I want that or the (cheaper) heat exchange versions. I was told today that the PID is ‘less effective’ on the heat exchangers and I’ve seen a whole thread of even experts arguing over how correct that is.

what’s got me now is the grinder choices. My friend purchased a niche zero today and it was handy from the point of view of being able to ‘dial’ in the grinder with new beans because there were no wasted shots from grind retention, but the downside is you have to weigh every coffee. The advice I received is the niche is way ahead of its peers in terms of grind quality for the money. It certainly seems popular here.

What appeals about say the eureka atom for me is the ability to dose without having to weigh or put new beans in each time which I think I’d prefer - once I get the beans dialled in. Up until that point the niche appeals because of the zero waste thing.

hmmm to be truthful it was a bit intimidating watching people who are good at what they’re doing having to dial things in. Makes me wonder what hope ive got I had a laugh.
    I know the Izzo range have a smaller foot print machine https://www.casaespresso.com.au/izzo-vivi-pid.html site sponsor Casa Espresso has them. I've heard that same that a PID is not needed on the HX machines.

As for grinders I went from a Breville smart grinder to a Compak k3 to a Macap MD4 to now a Eureka Zenith 65E... I dont see my self changing grinders soon. I have taken a look into the niche grinder but as many have said although they look great and people love them there is no track record for durability yet. I guess that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing as other than this they look the goods.

cheers,

Chris

PID is an arguement, but in my own logic I think of it as a waste on a HX. It will control the temp of the boiler, which on a HX does not dictate the heat of the group and therefore the brew. On a HX, you need to run a bit of water to even out the temps. So it will fluctuate, but pretty consistently so you just need to know how long to run the water before the shot. I put a Thermometer on my HX group when I am trying to "dial in" how much water I need to do a small rinse before making the shot. Boiler temp affects steam pressure (since the boiler produces steam and only flash heats the brew water), which can usually be adjusted at the P-stat and eliminates the need for a PID in my opinion, at least if you are looking to save at least $100 or $2. I have adjusted my P-stat a few times and it was pretty easy on my machine. Adjusting the P-stat tells the machine to lower the steam pressure, which translates to a lower boiler temperature. I will say this is the most annoying part of the HX (being unsure if you have the ideal group temp), but the cost saving is huge compared to a PID double-boiler if you are willing to spend a bit of time to nail down your process.

The price seems worth it if you just want to plug and play without too much dialing and learning of your machine, and opens up some more advanced options pretty quickly. On a double boiler, having a controlled boiler temperature makes way more sense: the water coming from the brew boiler will bring the group to a consistent temperature, and the steam has its own boiler. You can really dial in your exact brew temperatures to the degree. But then you open up the door for not only dialing the grind, but dialing in temperatures for each grind/bean/variety. It is really an infinite hole that takes years to fully explore and at the end of the day is totally subjective. Most people spend years brewing at the same temperature and only affect other factors. Your journey, your choice what to do first.

Niche looks super cool, never tried it though. I am not an expert here, but as a solution to lost grounds on my grinders I turn the leftovers into either cold brew or save it to make coconut oil scrub for gifts. For cold brew I just throw the leftover grounds in a jar, and filter it through a paper filter the 14-24 hours later. Helps me save a few bucks and makes an awesome to-go when time is short.

And heck yes! It is intimidating. Practice makes things look so easy. But with the basics in hand about grinding, tamping, and a goal for a brew-time/shot size, you will be nailing it down in no time and won't believe how hard you thought it was.
    Last edited by Bachonga; 1 Week Ago at 07:45 PM.
    Dimal likes this.

Great input "Bachonga"...

Mal.

Bezzera Mitica TOP (non-PID) is worth a look also. Quality build, Lever operated valves, Rotary for plumbing-in if desired or run from Reservoir.

Bezzera MITICA TOP.jpeg

Check your Private Messages for some more info.
    Dimal likes this.

Sleeprequired… I have been following these blogs for a while and just decided to commit and join so that I may see the .jpgs and links more easily and, maybe, contribute. In my relatively brief time here I have come to respect greatly the inputs of the likes of CafeLotta and would listen to their wisdom very closely.
    For myself, I have recently purchased the Technika V PROFI PID and am delighted. I have teamed this with a Baratza Sette 270Wi and Brewista BBSRBE Smart Scale II. I can't commend each of these highly enough! The Sette accurately weighs to within about .1gm and can be dialled, infinitely and quickly, to espresso, pour over etc. A little noisy but so quick it doesn't matter....and NO RETENTION. The only beef I have, and this would apply to any grinder, is that with some beans, such as the Lavazza Super Crema, electrostatics sees coffee grinds sprinkle around the machine. This hasn't happened with freshly roasted beans. The Brewista scales measure the pour accurately and times from when it starts receiving the coffee. Fabulous.
    Re the PID, I have been advised, by a Barista trainer, that the timing is more important from when the lever is pulled than from when the pour starts hitting the cup. So I use the PID on the Technika and find it invaluable and just use the scales for the weight. So, would I go for the DB Synchronica over the HX Technika. Sure. But I don't have bottomless pockets and for a similar price I have a fabulous espresso machine with matching grinder and scales. btw the Sette uses built in ACAIA scales and updates Firmware via Bluetooth from an Apple iPhone or iPad.
    I have upgraded this gear from a fully automatic DeLonghi Primadonna Elite and I can't tell you how much more and better coffee is being extracted and I still have a LONG WAY to go!!!!
    As for the accuracy of the PID controlled temperature on the group head. I am exploring the notion of a thermometer to confirm. However ECM, EXCELLENTLY manufactured, gives a very accurate table which correlates the water temp with the group head temp. The BAR is variable via a screw located, not so conveniently, under the machine. So, it is much more accurate than previous versions of the machine. I will be plumbing mine in ASAP. Warning, this requires a filter and a Reducer valve as the Technika V can only handle 0 - 1.5 Bar inline pressure but it does give you access to pre-infusion that is not available from the built in tank! I'm finding I am using seriously more water than the fully automatic Delonghi. I don't have the facility to plumb in the waste, but, as the machine is sitting in the scullery, it is not too onerous to empty the drip tray into the sink. Love the levers, Love the gauges at the top (I'm tall and my eyesight isn't what it used to be), Love the rotary pump, Love being able to plumb in, Love PID timer and temp control/accuracy.
    Dimal likes this.