Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By level3ninja

Thread: La Cimbali heating element help!

La Cimbali heating element help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have started restoring an m29 selectron which had been sitting for 2 years when I picked it up. One of the first issues I noticed was the heating element. There was power at the two left wires but it wasn't heating. I'm wondering does anyone know what the other terminals are for? As there are some wires in my machine that have been taped up.

Looks like you've got 3 elements there. I'm guessing only 1 is in use to make it work on a 10A plug. If that element is gone 1 of the other 2 might be ok.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 19 Hours Ago at 03:56 PM.
    Dimal, robusto and Sullo like this.

All right, that makes sense. All the elements and terminals seems to be in good condition and wiring seems all good. So I'm wondering where the fault could be? Would there be common problems with these? Was completely caked in limescale but no visible damage after being cleaned.

sorta similar element to the azkoyen I used to have, the element seal to the boiler was tripping out my rcd, what condition was the seals in?

yeah I'm pretty sure its a Teflon gasket between element and boiler. It was cracked but not sure if that happened in the process of removing the element

If there's power on the element but it's not heating then there's a break in the element somewhere. With the wires disconnected check to see if there's continuity across the element. If there's continuity across 2 of the other 4 terminals then that element should work. I can't guarantee that all 3 elements are the same rating, or that there isn't a short in 1 of the elements do have your licenced electrician check it over before it gets connected to power.
    Dimal likes this.

Test not just for continuity within the element...but any shirting to the outer tubes.

You need an insulation resistance tester to properly check if they're down to earth. By the time you can read resistance with a multimeter it's well and truly stuffed.
    Dimal and kelvin8r like this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    With the wires disconnected check to see if there's continuity across the element.
    And Power Off with power plug removed... Play it very safe.

Mal.