Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Brew pressure gauge problem on VBM 2B

Brew pressure gauge problem on VBM 2B

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone could help with a problem with my VBM 2B which has been serving me faithfully for a number of years.

The machine has been great, but recently there has been a problem with the brew pressure gauge. When the machine is cold it reads 4 bar, when it is heated up it goes up to 10 and then during a shot it goes to around 9-10 bar. After the shopt finishes, the number on the gauge shoots up to the maximum (16 bar). If I pull the lever up without the portafilter it fluctuates around the 8-10 bar range.

If anyone has any idea on what could be causing the problem that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
    Tim

Hi Tim,
    Is the machine plumbed into the water mains or drawing from a tank?

Hi robusto,

Thanks for the reply.... much appreciated.

Since the machine is located in a part of the kitchen without plumbing it is 'plumbed' in via a Flojet system to a bottle containing filtered water. I've got a splitter on the Flojet that connects the water to the coffee machine as well as a water filter tap. I have not noticed any change in the water pressure when using either the tap or when I pull the lever up on the machine so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. I've had the same setup with no changes running for around 5 years or so.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.... but if you need a more detailed explanation please let me know.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 22nd November 2019 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

A strange one.
    And I don't have the answers.
    My thoughts are that when heating water in the brew lines expands and causes pressure to rise from the idle 4 bar when cold.
    Why if would then shoot to 16 bar after pulling a shot? Don't know. Maybe the flowjet pump pressure?
    These problems are all of a sudden without any changes having been made? Twelve years ago my rotary pump would draw from a tank. Now, the same pump
    needs an inline anti flowback valve (which like your system, is playing havoc with pressures).

No worries.... I'm just as stumped as you are.

Thanks anyway.... might just need to book the machine in for a service. You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations for a place in Melbourne would you?

Site Sponsor The Coffee Machinist would be worth getting in touch with.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks CafeLotta. I may give him a call next week some time.

I'd say it has some chunk of scale upsetting things
    Dimal likes this.