Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mthomas87

Thread: Connected Linea Mini

Connected Linea Mini

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I saw a news post about an updated Linea Mini being shown at HOST a while back but haven't really seen any information since: https://international.lamarzocco.com...essory-lineup/

I sent an email to La Marzocco Australia and they were able to give me the following information:
    - New teal colour coming out (not locked in to connected version)
    - "Connected" part will be able to be purchased for old LMs (basically a board that you plug in somewhere)
    - Will be controlled by the LMLM App "So you’ll be able to add a day, date and time on/off timer, control boiler temperatures, see shot lengths, adjust pre infusion, etc. Basically everything available on the GS/3."
    - Expected release Q1 2020
    - No price yet

Sounds like it will be adding in a bunch of the features that were commonly modded onto the Linea Mini (Rick Bond's mods).

What do you guys think?

I'd be very keen to hear more. I'm struggling to understand how a board can be used to adjust pre-infusion and offer the things Ricks mods can, but would be thrilled if it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzal View Post
    I'd be very keen to hear more. I'm struggling to understand how a board can be used to adjust pre-infusion but would be thrilled to be wrong!
    I believe the pre-infusion is just the water coming out at "boiler pressure" without the pump on so the preinfusion time should just be the time between opening the valve and engaging the pump. The board you plug in is probably a bluetooth programmer board that can update the firmware running on the linea mini's controller

Sorry edited my post to inlcude more detail. Time will tell but colour me very interested.

hopefully it's not like the 'preinfusion' on the cafe linea models, which just runs the pump as usual and then turns it off without opening the three-way valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzal View Post
    Sorry edited my post to inlcude more detail. Time will tell but colour me very interested.
    It won't be able to do everything that the mods can do but I think the main mods were digital temperature setpoint and shot timer and the pre-infusion mod. The pre-infusion won't be the same obviously (the mods installed extra valves and other electronics) but you should be able to run a few more seconds of water through it at least.

And coming to an Appliances online near you. You read it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    And coming to an Appliances online near you. You read it here first.
    Haha with the same 5% discount as everyone else?

Edit: seems unlikely based on this https://www.applianceretailer.com.au...usive-partner/

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Haha with the same 5% discount as everyone else?

Edit: seems unlikely based on this https://www.applianceretailer.com.au...usive-partner/
    Nope. As of 31 January, the discount is dead, deceased, no longer exists.

So does that mean they're alienating re-sellers even further? They're already pretty reluctant to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    So does that mean they're alienating re-sellers even further? They're already pretty reluctant to sell them.
    In my opinion, alienating resellers is one of the things that LM does best. What will happen from 31 January when you purchase from their @home site is that you will enter the reseller discount code and receive sweet FA in terms of a discount for doing so. The reseller will only receive a commission for time spent with you if you choose to enter the code. I can't see why you'd necessarily bother.

Should you decide to purchase LM and use Afterpay to spread your payments, the reseller wears that. LM will then take the entire payment and the reseller gets nothing whatsoever for the time s/he has spent with you.

Well , that's very disappointing, whilst i love my GS3, i work in the coffee industry and have noticed a marked decline in interest and respect for LM home brand, and the direction they are heading.
    When i recently sold my Linea mini, there was much less interest than when i sold one 2 years ago. All of the interest i got was from Thai people looking to import them back to Thailand to beat the high local prices there...
    I wonder who will want to service and repair them , now they will be sold through Appliances online?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    I can't see why you'd necessarily bother.
    Unless something has changed, you get a discount for entering a reseller code.

I agree though, they don't do a good job but I feel they are "trying" to build some exclusivity and own the whole process of getting you the machine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvautin View Post
    Unless something has changed, you get a discount for entering a reseller code.
    Yes- something has changed. Have a read amongst the earlier posts. As of 31 January, the reseller code gets you a 0% discount.

but I feel they are "trying" to build some exclusivity and own the whole process of getting you the machine etc.
    How so when it's about to be for sale via a discount box seller?

Quote Originally Posted by kofekitt View Post
    Well, that's very disappointing...
    Yep- downright arrogant IMHO- but that's not new for them. I'm wondering if they conduct themselves this poorly in other countries?

If @home was working, they wouldn't need to give it to a box seller which is not in the aftersales service or support business.

LM is not setup to do service or support other than in the major capitals. If their so-called "partners" were to show the middle digit to the service and repair jobs which LM would have them do, the decision would be pretty well justified.
    Last edited by Caffeinator; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:53 AM.

cf on HB forums posted this:

Following back up on this thread.

According to an article from Daily Coffee News it looks like the App is scheduled to roll out in March 2020. Again, looks like we'll be able to modify brew temperature, on/off time, and pre-infusion.
    Guglielmino said the app is particularly impactful for the Linea Mini, as it unlocks an array of capabilities that were previously not controllable by users. Owners of the setup will be able to skip the click-wheel thermostats and set and monitor the temperature digitally, to a tenth of a degree; adjust the preinfusion parameters; set a wake-up/heat-up and shut-off timer, and more.

The Home IoT app will launch in March 2020, according to Guglielmino. Also in 2020, the company will be rolling out a hands-free milk steaming machine, and upgraded versions of both the GB5 and Strada commercial espresso machines, all of which were displayed at HOST in 2019 and none of which will be discussed publicly until closer to their respective launches.
    https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/01/06/ ... busy-2020/

My only question reading that is the App is specifically mentioned for launching in March 2020, but I wonder when the updated Mini with the IoT functionality will start selling. Hopefully at the same time.

A lot of questions have been asked about pre-infusion that I've been reading up on. Some people are concerned that the pre-infusion is just extending the one-second dwell time to something longer, not really allowing more volume of pre-infusion water to hit the puck. From reading LM's responses on their post about this on Instagram and their own website, it seems that pre-infusion with the app will make the Mini pre-infusion work like GS3 AV pre-infusion. According to LM that works like the following.

From LM employee on instagram
    i_am_fabri17
    @anthonysonstein you can set the the preonfusion time and delay, just like you would do on a gs3 av, but now you can do it on the mini and via the app...the water flow and pressure cannot be changed
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B32eI-MI2gV ... _copy_link

From LM's website on GS3 AV preinfusion
    The AV also has a few more bits of functionality thanks to the electronics. First, the ability to program pre-infusion times into each button. Say you'd like to program pre-infusion into your shot, the AV allows you to tell the machine, for example, to pre-infuse for 4 seconds, rest for 5 seconds, then begin brewing. Whether plumbed-in or using the reservoir, pre-infusion is accomplished by quickly engaging the pump for 1-5 seconds (adjustable for each AV preset), then disengaging for 1-5 seconds, then engaging the pump for brewing, which is able to replicate a smooth pre-infusion pressure curve.
    https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/demystif ... -mp-or-av/

Hope this helps!
    Pretzal likes this.

Thanks very much for the information. I will be waiting to see how much it might cost too...