• 2 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By mthomas87
  • 6 Post By Caffeinator

Thread: La Marzocco GS3 + Macap Xtreme

La Marzocco GS3 + Macap Xtreme - Mobile Coffee Trailer

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I'm about to design an off-road trailer for a small mobile coffee operation - let's say 40-50 cups per hour.

Trailer will simply have a bench, La Marzocco GS3 (manually filling the water tank, not a Flo-jet set up) and Macap Xtreme grinder and wondered if I could pick your brains out there?
    I've been looking at the Honda EU22i (max output 2200) to power the machine and the 400 watt grinder. On paper this looks possible as I've read the machine draws 1600 watt at max load but I'm not sure? Anyone done something similar or could say off the top of your head whether this generator would work?

I also wondered, in the end, was it the right choice for you to use a GS3 in a mobile set up? Did you end up seeing the machine struggle at all? Did it last or break?

I realise a 1 group is limiting but I'm going to purchase another group handle to load up while the first shot is pouring.

The reason I want this particular machine, before you all suggest a 2 group is:

- I've already got a trailer with a 2 group Wega Pegaso, changed the element to 10A and I'm not liking it - I'm using a 15A to 10A power adapter and the machine just seems to struggle doing VERY little. I have used a Pegaso commercially with a standard element and it was fine.

- I need to be able to lift the machine and grinder in and out (I am only 5ft!)

- I may also need to lift the generator - the EU22i is barely manageable and putting a gen box on the drawbar may not be an option.

Any information or advice you have would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
    Kat
    Last edited by KatBrazier; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:43 PM.

Looked at GS3 specs a long time ago and seem to remember US element was 1600 and 230v was 2100 or 2000. Plus you would need couple of hundred to run the actual machine. You didn't post the specs on the generator so no idea if it would do the job. Also if used stationary assume generator would be placed some short distance away to reduce noise, there will be some loss in the lead.
    KatBrazier likes this.

Thanks, you're right! I must have found the US specs. The 230v is 2100 so I'll have to go up a generator to the 3000 watt. That unfortunately may not be viable

From the reviews I've seen the Linea Mini is preferred over the GS3 for a coffee cart by some people. Heaps of examples of them at events and from what I've read they're rock solid for that use. Wandering through Shanghai the other month there were heaps of small cafe booths I saw that had a GS3 though.

Also, won't refilling the reservoir make 40-50 drinks an hour pretty hard?
    KatBrazier likes this.

Hi Kat...

Even the 3.0KW gen-set will be barely enough.
    A simple 'rule-of-thumb' on the decision for sizing the gen-set minimum rating, is to total up all the loads being supplied, then add another 50%. The sudden switching of near maximum loads runs the risk of destabilising the gen-set and causing protection devices to operate and clear the load.

Mal.

Sorry, but I reckon unrealistic. 40-50 cups an hour on a one group, 1 person up will allow you about zero time to do anything else whatsoever. Have you ever tried doing that?

It's a job for a 2 group compact at minimum.
    Casa Espresso and KatBrazier like this.

Thanks that's really useful information - I overlooked the LM Mini due to size and power but might be worth revisiting And yes filling the reservoir would be near impossible at 50 drinks per hour, even with a second person helping - If I start making over 30 coffees, I'll look at getting a Flo-jet.

Thanks and nope I haven't! I have worked off a 1 group at a trade show and been completely slammed, back to back shots for hours but I was using a second handle and had help. If I was doing 50 cups I'd be very happy and put a second person on with me.

Bugger!! Ok, need to re-think. Thanks for posting this reply - exactly what I was looking for

Honda and Yamaha are probably the 2 best generator brands but maximum output is higher than rated output.

In other words for a very short time only during a load and not for continuous output.

The Honda 22 is maximum output of 2200 watts but continuous output of 1800 watts. It replaces the ubiquitous 20i which was 2000W max and just 1600W continuous.

You could buy 2 and parallel them to output a total of 3600 watts. (Incidently, the price per unit of $1600-$1700 Is a steal as even the discontinued smaller EU20 was once $2000 many years ago)
    KatBrazier likes this.

Yesss! I have seen 2 tethered together so this may work! Thank you

Two are lighter to handle than one larger one, and they'll probably automatically drop down to economy mode.
    KatBrazier and quester like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    From the reviews I've seen the Linea Mini is preferred over the GS3 for a coffee cart by some people. Heaps of examples of them at events and from what I've read they're rock solid for that use. Wandering through Shanghai the other month there were heaps of small cafe booths I saw that had a GS3 though.

Also, won't refilling the reservoir make 40-50 drinks an hour pretty hard?
    Hey again

Can you by any chance elaborate on why some people prefer the Linea Mini over the GS3 for a coffee cart? What have you heard?

It seems like the GS3 is superior to the Mini due to the saturated group head, dual PID and a few other benefits. I just saw this review of the Cons of the Mini:

• Tank fiddly to fill and even moreso to empty- drip tray needs to be removed
    • Expensive parts
    • To plumb in, it requires fiddly modification and this take time and money. Time and money also to revert to tank operation
    • Temperature via rheostat on side of machine. Can be almost impossible to see what temperature it’s set to
    • Paddle is a con. It could have been replaced by a simple switch as there is virtually zero preinfusion. In unmodified form, it lives to channel shot unless preparation is perfect. It can be modified ($1200+) to provide preinfusion, but LM then voids the warranty and may possibly try to avoid their obligations under Australian Consumer Law.

Much of this applies to both of them. If your preparation is perfect, you will get away with the mini, but the GS3 is more forgiving. Realistically for cart operation, you'd go the volumetric AV which will sort of preinfuse. The MP (too slow for what you need) will preinfuse, but does it best with mains pressure connection: flojet and accumulator.

Chances are that your clients (given that coffee cart customers want "a latte") won't tell the difference between the machines anyway. You might also just use a long inlet hose and stop valve for water. It's a little harder on the motor, but the pump won't care. NB that if you go to 2 x you with then need >20A to do your stuff.

Hoping that this is a hobby/income supplement business as carts can be very much marginal unless you have the perfect location/s.
    quester likes this.

Simplicity, reliability and consistency were the takeaways is saw. It is also considerably cheaper.

Regarding your cons:
    -same as gs3
    -less complex parts and less expensive parts than gs3
    -$180 kit or diy from bunnings. Similar install.
    -temperature for a coffee cart would very much be set and forget
    -pre infusion setting via app coming q1 2020 apparently.

I'd try out the workflow in shop but yeah if the paddle isn't your thing and you'd rather go volumetric then that's Gs3 locked in.

Mini uses less power and might be lighter too.
    KatBrazier likes this.

[QUOTE=Caffeinator;668090]Much of this applies to both of them. If your preparation is perfect, you will get away with the mini, but the GS3 is more forgiving. Realistically for cart operation, you'd go the volumetric AV which will sort of preinfuse. The MP (too slow for what you need) will preinfuse, but does it best with mains pressure connection: flojet and accumulator.

Chances are that your clients (given that coffee cart customers want "a latte") won't tell the difference between the machines anyway. You might also just use a long inlet hose and stop valve for water. It's a little harder on the motor, but the pump won't care. NB that if you go to 2 x you with then need >20A to do your stuff.

Hey Caffeinator,

Thank you for your answer but can you explain this a little further, I don't really understand it -

"NB that if you go to 2 x you with then need >20A to do your stuff."

Also, yes it is only to supplement income and I'm very lucky to be in an area where there is limited specialty coffee and a large captive audience

The other selling point might be the traditional la marzocco back on the mini. Pretty iconic and a lot of people associate it with quality coffee.

Just saying that 2 minis or GS3s will mean 20A. On the other hand, a 2group compact will run on 10A

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    Simplicity, reliability and consistency were the takeaways is saw. It is also considerably cheaper.

Regarding your cons:
    -same as gs3
    -less complex parts and less expensive parts than gs3
    -$180 kit or diy from bunnings. Similar install.
    -temperature for a coffee cart would very much be set and forget
    -pre infusion setting via app coming q1 2020 apparently.

I'd try out the workflow in shop but yeah if the paddle isn't your thing and you'd rather go volumetric then that's Gs3 locked in.

Mini uses less power and might be lighter too.
    Hey mthomas87,

Ooo pre-infusion via App may change my mind But these modifications can be notoriously late, we shall see.

I'm not adverse to the paddle, although prefer volumetric when working alone but hate the idea of channelling with the Mini, no one is perfect and I hate mucking around with my dosing!

But the pros can't be ignored either. Mmmm, hurry up App I say

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Just saying that 2 minis or GS3s will mean 20A. On the other hand, a 2group compact will run on 10A
    Ok cool, yes compacts are an option, but so ugly (sorry no offence out there)!

So for all here on this thread, please throw any better machine options at me under 8k.

I know, a little off topic but please feel free.....

And any thoughts on the ECM Controvento (not really portable though)???