Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By pr1nce

Thread: My Rocky died! Which grinder to go with ECM Synchronika?

My Rocky died! Which grinder to go with ECM Synchronika?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Would love some advice about what grinder to pair with my Synchronika!

My rocky doser is dying a slow death and I will need to replace it, so would love your suggestions for a grinder - doesn't have to look matchy matchy, just want something quieter than the rocky, less retention, cleaner (end up with grinds everywhere currently) and one that will last!

I have always liked the Mazzers but there are more on the market now to think about! I would love to be able to have settings set, stick the portafilter in, turn it on and get the correct amount, rather than having to weigh it every time like I do now.

Currently only doing around 3 x espresso's per day, more on the weekend!

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by WACoffee View Post
    Would love some advice about what grinder to pair with my Synchronika!

My rocky doser is dying a slow death and I will need to replace it, so would love your suggestions for a grinder - doesn't have to look matchy matchy, just want something quieter than the rocky, less retention, cleaner (end up with grinds everywhere currently) and one that will last!

I have always liked the Mazzers but there are more on the market now to think about! I would love to be able to have settings set, stick the portafilter in, turn it on and get the correct amount, rather than having to weigh it every time like I do now.

Currently only doing around 3 x espresso's per day, more on the weekend!

Thanks for your help.
    Whatís the budget? New only or is used ok?

New would be preferable!

Budget probably up to $1500. Happy to spend less, probably don't want to spend more as it's just for home use!! Not sure there is much more bang for buck after that price is there?

Thanks!

G'day WA coffee,

Three that come to mind from me, all with slightly different features and benefits.

1/ The Sette 270wi - Porter filter holder, will grind to weight ( so fits your wish there) Down side - it is noisy! Well within your budget https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bara...tte-270wi.html
    2/ The Eureka Specialita - porter filter holder, timed doses ( so easy to get consistent doses) , very quiet! - down side , it does have a bit of retention https://www.casaespresso.com.au/eure...-perfetto.html
    3/ Niche Zero - super fast, near zero retention , quiet - down side - manual dose control, doesn't have a porta filter holder https://www.casaespresso.com.au/niche-zero.html

i would lean towards the Niche if you can adapt to the manual dose control

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and flynnaus like this.

Iíd go with the ECM S64 or the T64 (Profitec equivalent). Both are fast, accurate and rock solid reliable.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Eureka Atom or Mahlkoenig Vario, both extremely accurate timers. The Atom is quiet, the Vario not so much. The Atom retains a bit, the Vario not so much.
    Dimal likes this.

My Rocky died! Which grinder to go with ECM Synchronika?

Iíd have to agree that something from Eureka would fit the bill. The new Specialita is a higher specced and quiter version of the Mignon and the Atom is another step up. I have a Mahlkonig Vario and am super happy with it. Iíve owned lots of grinders and itís my favourite so far. Itís not the quietest, but itís not the noisiest either. If Iím ever making coffee while the family are asleep I put my hand on top of the hopper (which acts as a big amplifier on grinders) and that muffles it noticeably. Itís fast enough that itís not annoying to do occasionally. Thereís also the Macap M4D and something from Compak could be in your price range, but I believe Eureka offers better value for money.
    The offerings from Rocket, ECM and Profitec (all the same grinder in a different skin) are satisfactory, but all over priced for what they are in my opinion.
    Dimal, level3ninja and flashpixx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The
    The offerings from Rocket, ECM and Profitec (all the same grinder in a different skin)
    The Rocket is not the same as the ECM/Profitec. Itís a modified Eureka design.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    The Rocket is not the same as the ECM/Profitec. Itís a modified Eureka design.
    Ah right. I knew it was a reskinned something. Probably a pretty good grinder functionally if itís got Eureka internals, but itís got a disappointing exterior in my opinion.

The Rocket Fausto has Eureka Atom internals, the Faustino is essentially a Eureka Silenzio.

Styling may not suit everyone but both are very solid units

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and Cats like this.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Seems like a Eureka is the way to go. Are Mazzers a thing of the past??

Will I find much difference between the Eureka offerings? Is upgrading to the Atom going to give me a noticeable experience or would I be just as good getting the Specialtia or similar?

Now this Niche Zero. Looks good but can you put enough beans in it for more than one cup at a time? Say I am making 3-4 coffees, will I have to refill the grinder for each coffee or can I set it to grind say 18gm but the hopper holds more?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again all. Appreciate the input.

WA the point of the niche is single dosing. If you want to use it like a regular hopper buy the Eurekas.

Possibly a shallow reason but for me the specialita looks 100x better than the Atom on the bench and definitly was enough grinder for me.
    I guess asthetics does come into it, its a domestic thing not just completely for function

Thanks for the clarification Cats. Yes, I thought it was single dosing but a picture I saw showed it as having a large looking section that held more than 1 dose. Hence the confusion.

Good feedback about the aesthetics also. Appreciate the input.

I actually don't mind the look of the Mahlkonig Vario. How would this machine compare to the Eureka offerings?

By the way I only need to grind for my Synchronika, I don't use anything else for coffee.

Ideally just want to press a button for 2 shots and it will dispense the correct amount, relatively quietly and without leaving mess all over my bench!

I feel like the Niche Zero doesn't have the luxury of time behind it and I don't want to be repairing/replacing my grinder untimely. I also think I will regret it the second I need to make more than 1 coffee.

Thanks.

The Vario is amazing bang for the buck, but if it's quiet you want get an Atom or Mignon Silenzio. Varios aren't the noisiest grinders around, but they're in the top league.
    Dimal likes this.

I actually don't mind the look of the Mahlkonig Vario. How would this machine compare to the Eureka offerings?

By the way I only need to grind for my Synchronika, I don't use anything else for coffee.

Ideally just want to press a button for 2 shots and it will dispense the correct amount, relatively quietly and without leaving mess all over my bench!

I feel like the Niche Zero doesn't have the luxury of time behind it and I don't want to be repairing/replacing my grinder untimely. I also think I will regret it the second I need to make more than 1 coffee.

Thanks.
    G'day WACoffee

Firstly, ask 5 CS'r's about grinders and get a dozen opinions... so here's mine.

Presumably you are in West Oz (or Washington State US?). If so, I have three Mahlkoenig Varios (not for sale!) - you are welcome to come and play with one in my micro kitchen and see what you think if that suits (PM me). Works well with either a 6910 or a Decent DE1. BYO roast for testing.

BTW, I have 2 * gen2's (2013 / 2014) and 1 * gen3 (2016?). For some reason the gen2's are slightly quieter than the gen3, although none are noisy. BTW, all are Swiss made - and it shows.

IMO for the Turkish to espresso range of grinds (i.e. your espresso need is within their sweet spot) the Vario (with the standard ceramic burrs) has thrashed every other grinder anywhere near their price for flavour in the cuppa. The reason is pretty simple. Unlike conicals (i.e. Niche) which have a twin peak particle spread (i.e. complete with too many unwanted fines), the flat burrs of a Vario have been tuned to give a very narrow, precise particle spread in the Turkish to espresso range only. Outside that range, they are pretty poor. Most flat burr grinders - even monsters with huge diameter burrs like my Bo-ema RR45 - are tuned to give a wide range of acceptable grinds, whereas the Vario gen2 onward simply doesn't. Jack of all trades, master of none vs precision.

FYI, the original Vario does have a wide grinding range and is only a mediocre grinder for espresso. The gen2 and gen3 are totally different performers from the first model - hence some early reviews actually describe an entirely different mechanism / beastie.

The Vario also has truly minimal grind retention down to the last dose. Unlike those grinders when people measure a dose and only place those beans in the hopper the Vario does not rely on the weight of the beans in the hopper to give an even feed / particle spread. A friend summarized it neatly: "What else would you expect from Swiss engineers?".

That flavour in the cuppa is why I bought a second one a few weeks after my first one. Then I was sent a set of Mahlkoenig Vario "optional steel burrs" for coarser grinds when a near new gen3 was also up for grabs cheap...

The worst feature of the Vario is a trade off - place a Ditting commercial grinding module in such a compact package and the adjusters are delicate. Never let a "brute force idiot" anywhere near a Vario. My oldest Vario has done a number of stints in a cafe and survived over 300Kgs of use (and a dozen or so different baristas) without a problem (or, impressively any noticeable wear - those burrs are tough). Yet I keep seeing Varios where the adjusters have popped out (or even been bent out of shape - shudder) - a sure sign of abuse. The manual states the motor should be running when adjusting the grind finer (doh: been doing that to all grinders since 1970...) and presumably the same "brute force idiots" cannot read... BTW, unless the adjusters are actually severely bent, resetting them is an (unnecessary) 5 minute fix (requiring a PH#2 to remove one screw).

I hope this helps,

TampIt
    PS: The bean feeding issue: L3ninja's https://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/...tml#post668759 says it all. The Niche may well be another one of the few grinders immune to that issue.

Thanks.
    I have the same machine as you and I have paired it with a Eureka Atom, consistent grinds, extremely quick at grinding a double dose (~15 seconds) and quiet! Highly recommended but I am also tempted by the Niche Zero for single dosing and less wastage.
    WarrenK likes this.