• 1 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By JohnA
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By JohnA
  • 1 Post By JohnA

Thread: La Marzocco GS3 brew gauge

La Marzocco GS3 brew gauge

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I finally plumbed in my la gs3 a couple days ago and noticed the brew gauge reading different pressures.
    When on the tank, and the machine was off, and cooled down it read 0 and the normal 9bar when just running water through the group head
    however ever since plumbing it in, it now reads 10 bar when just running water and around 3 bar when shut of and cooled down.

I'll put it back to tank water tonight just to be sure its not the gauge thats defective, but any ideas what else may be causing the issue?

Sounds about right.
    Line pressure from the tap is about 3bar.
    Do you mean 10 bar at free flow water from the group head with no coffee for resistance?
    Dimal and JohnA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Sounds about right.
    Line pressure from the tap is about 3bar.
    Do you mean 10 bar at free flow water from the group head with no coffee for resistance?
    Hey Ronin, thanks for that, glad to know its not the gauge or something else.
    Yea 10 bar at free flow with no coffee or resistance.
    On the inbuilt tank it was 9 bar, and with coffee and resistance would sometimes go up to 11 bar, but since blumbing in, 10 bar free flow and 12 bar with coffee.

I will test it again with the inbuilt tank to see if it goes back to normal, then it may just be a case of re adjusting the pump when plumbed in

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    a case of re adjusting the pump when plumbed in
    Correct.

Java "Tweak time" phile
    JohnA likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

cheers again guys, have re-adjusted the pump and all is working as normal again
    Dimal likes this.

one more question regarding when the gs3 is plumbed in,

the manual states it requires a water flow rate into the machine of 8 litres per minute.
    I havent tested it, but doubt i will be getting that after the filter. It does seem a bit high, as most other machines i have seen only require around 5-6 litres

i am running 1/4 john guest tubing from the mains water to the filter with a 350kpa PLV inline
    from the filter i am also running 1/4" to a filtered water tap on the bench and to the jug rinser and the 3/8 braided S/S line to the machine

I am using the c150 kit like this one

should i maybe change all the john guest plastic piping to 3/8" just to be on the safe side

everything seems to be working properly, and the pump doesnt seem tot be struggling to draw in water, but i'd rather be safe then sorry
    Last edited by JohnA; 1st February 2020 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    should i maybe change all the john guest plastic piping to 3/8" just to be on the safe side

everything seems to be working properly, and the pump doesnt seem tot be struggling to draw in water, but i'd rather be safe then sorry
    Certainly not a bad idea and easy to do. Let the restriction be at the machine rather than at the tap.
    Dimal and JohnA like this.

yea i have ordered all the parts, as for the sake of around $80 its a no brainer...though i still find that the machine requires 8ltrs per minute overkill.

I would say the restriction will be at the PRV. Ours was very fast flow prior to fitting PRV, with PRV fitted its quite slow. filling a big glass is a bit of a PITA. I would guess 1-2 litres/min?

Cheers
    Dimal likes this.

ill test mine tonight with the 1/4" tubing and then test it again with the 3/8 tubing

i'll run my test from the hose going to the machine

Cant do without the PLV as its needed to protect the filter, and the jug rinser, would think its also needed for the coffee machines. Wouldnt want to be running full water pressure to it

well i changed it all out to 3/8 tubing and the difference in water flow is amazing. Wont have any issues now.
    Dimal and Caffeinator like this.

Flow should be (potentially) roughly twice that of the 1/4" tubing....

Mal.
    JohnA likes this.

yea, you can really tell from just the jug rinser.

Should have done it from the start, but i already had all the 1/4" tubing from my last install with no dramas at all, so figured i'd use it again. Seems the lamarzoccos, need a higher flow rate then most others
    Dimal likes this.

Good work! How long are your tubing runs out of curiosity?

Cheers

from the mains to the filter its around 2 mtrs, then very short runs to everything else
    artman likes this.