Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By roosterben

Thread: Carimali Uno Volumetric Controls - What on earth...??

Carimali Uno Volumetric Controls - What on earth...??

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is a 1987 Carimali Uno A. I can't find a single picture of these volumetric controls anywhere on the net, nor can I find reference to an "Uno A". From what I can gather, the middle switch changes between "Dose preset 1" and "Dose preset 2" and the left and right switches are for single and double doses (pretty sure the left switch is non original). The single doses are approx 50ml and 100ml and the double doses are approx 140ml and 270ml. The weird thing is, I can't find any way of setting the doses. Even weirder, you can't stop a shot once you've selected a dose. Has anyone encountered this style of volumetrics before? If there is indeed no way of changing or cancelling a dose, then I guess I'll just wire one of the buttons to be a standard on/off switch and bypass the dosing.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This doesn't seem to cover volumetric settings but did you find this manual already?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ce-manual.html
    Dimal and Mischa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    This doesn't seem to cover volumetric settings but did you find this manual already?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ce-manual.html
    I did, thanks.

It could be factory set and not able to be changed. Itís quite antiquated technology so Iím thinking thatís a possibility.

First thing I'd check is to make sure it has a flowmeter - some early 'volumetric' machines actually just had timers, since the flowmeter hadn't appeared yet.
    Another way to dose by volume that appeared in at least one model (Cimbali or Faema, can't remember which) was a small tank in the back of the machine fitted with a series of level probes, one for each dose. The machine would dose until the probe corresponding to the selected dose detected low water level, and the doses were adjusted by moving the probes.
    If it has a flowmeter, I would look at the control box for any little holes to access a trimpot on the board (a small rotary variable resistor adjusted with a small flat blade screwdriver). Older Rancilios had this setup, where it had one trimpot for a 'small single' dose, and another for a 'large single' dose. The double doses were automatically double the amounts set for singles.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganGT View Post
    First thing I'd check is to make sure it has a flowmeter - some early 'volumetric' machines actually just had timers, since the flowmeter hadn't appeared yet.
    Another way to dose by volume that appeared in at least one model (Cimbali or Faema, can't remember which) was a small tank in the back of the machine fitted with a series of level probes, one for each dose. The machine would dose until the probe corresponding to the selected dose detected low water level, and the doses were adjusted by moving the probes.
    If it has a flowmeter, I would look at the control box for any little holes to access a trimpot on the board (a small rotary variable resistor adjusted with a small flat blade screwdriver). Older Rancilios had this setup, where it had one trimpot for a 'small single' dose, and another for a 'large single' dose. The double doses were automatically double the amounts set for singles.
    Thanks, that's a good idea about looking for a pot on the board, I'll have a look. And yep, it's got a flow meter.