• 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 2 Post By Beanz.
  • 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 3 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By np9000

Thread: Profitec 800

Profitec 800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all just new to the form. I have recently purchased a profitec 800 lever machine, im haveing a bit of trouble with my coffee being bitter. It is paired with a mazzer mini grinder. I use a 21g botemless filter. I have tryed differnt coffee differnt grind settings and also doseing to 21g up to 25g and still not getting it right dose anyone have this machien or give me some pointers. It also is a dipper machine and has a pdi set from factory at 121. Cheers scottish

Might be the Brew water temp is too hot causing bitterness. If you haven't seen it, this seems like quite a good review of the machine -

https://www.home-barista.com/reviews...ew-t44660.html It includes some good links for temp management on levers.

Some more ref info - https://www.home-barista.com/levers/...rs-t42611.html

Hopefully owners of this machine will jump in and give you some quick tips!
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 17th February 2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Revised re: temp management

Thanks very much for the info
    CafeLotta likes this.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Hi Scottish, I have one and LOVE IT.

I found the 120-122 is about the right range for the temp setting on the PID.

However I normally dose 16.5g up to about 18g MAX. Make sure you use fresh beans and definitely not the supermarket stuff. You really need to get to a local roaster to get some fresh stuff. Beanbay also sells really good fresh stuff here too.

My work flow is like this:
    Weigh out 16.5g on my jewlers scale (0.01g accuracy - but they are just cheap ebay ones so probably not great)
    Thow beans into the hopper/grinder.
    Flush 1 cup of hot water into the glass, throw it down the sink and dry the glass
    Grind on my mazzer (it's a kony, but had a super jolly before that) into the PF
    lock in PF, pull lever down, hit 'tare' on the scales with the glass on it and place glass under the group head. Pre infuse for about 5 seconds give or take.
    Ideally the whole PF will fill with rich brown coffee from all the pores in the basket (if you are using the naked PF)
    You should then get a good solid tar like drip and likely a few more over about 2-3 seconds. By about 7-10 seconds you should have a nice easy stream - not gushing.
    Then you remove the cup after 30 seconds - sometimes with different coffees I will let this go to 40 sec, but 30 seconds is the 'standard'. This time starts from when the first drop hits the bottom of the glass.
    The coffee will continue to run from the PF.
    Weigh the glass and the coffee should come to about 30-35g. That is usually a very drinkable range.

Things to watch out for:
    Gushing liquid straight away from the PF. Not a good sign and you don't have the right dose/grind setting.
    Coffee is too much liquid - grind/dose settings again or you didn't take the cup out in time
    Machine not warm enough - get a timer and put it on that. It needs a good hour from cold to warm up. At a MINIMUM 30 mins to heat the group head enough. MINIMUM.

Will try get a video of my flow for you later.
    Dimal likes this.

Hi Scottish
    I also run the same machine. I have it set at 120 and use 16g for single shots. I grind fine and tamp hard. I preinfuse for 10 sec. Aim for a typical 30ml shot but don't get hung up on the time it takes, work with anything giving you the shot in the time range of 35 to 55 sec and you should get consistently good shots. I suggest work with 16g and adjust the grind to achieve the result that fits with your requirements

Thanks for the info ill give it a go cheers

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar

Hi Scottish - couple days delay, had trouble dialing in the new beans as they are a wee bit old. But This is a pretty decent shot. But maybe a bit too quick.
    Dimal likes this.

Am I missing something here? 121 degrees brew boiler temp? Celsius?

Shouldn't the brew temp be in the 90-96c range?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but 121C doesn't seem right...

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by splashalot View Post
    Am I missing something here? 121 degrees brew boiler temp? Celsius?

Shouldn't the brew temp be in the 90-96c range?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but 121C doesn't seem right...
    93 degrees or so is what you want when the water hits the puck. The temperature in the boiler has to be quite a bit higher to deliver that.
    Dimal, flynnaus and splashalot like this.

Cheers, Barry 'O.

Edit: I received my Pro 700 from Jetblack today. Was set up out of the box with the PID showing 94 for the brew boiler. Only two shots so far, but both were utterly sensational. Significantly better than those from my old Unico Splendor HX.

Scottish, if I were you I'd be going back to the shop you bought the machine from to see if they did any sort of set up, or just on-sold a box. If the later, hopefully they can give you the full set-up figures including off-sets, if these are required.
    Last edited by splashalot; 21st February 2020 at 04:26 PM.

Hi Scottish

I've also recently acquired the same machine, and like you I'm still learning how to get the best out of it... but I'm loving it!
    Of course the second shot I ever got out of it was AMAZING, and I've not been able to replicate that since...

Experiment with the dose, don't be afraid to go with less - I started off with 22g in the largest basket, but found I was getting better results with a smaller dose.

Try tweaking just one thing at a time, see what works best and carry on... be prepared to go through a bit of coffee!

(oh, and the PID on mine was set to 120 out of the box, that seems to be the starting point for this machine from what I've seen / read)
    Last edited by np9000; 25th February 2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added info on "out of the box" settings
    Dimal likes this.