Thread: Boema not autofilling- any help appreciated

Boema not autofilling- any help appreciated

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All
    our little Boema 1 gp is not auto filling. I first noticed it this morning- the light which illuminates the brew switch went off and the light which shows water level is low came on. The brew switch didnt work. Ive cleaned the boiler probe but it made no difference. Sometimes the switch which allows you to fill with the element off works but not always. When you turn off the machine then re turn it on and use the manual fill button, things work again for a while but stop when I assume the machine senses it needs to refill but cant, then the boiler low-level light comes on again.
    Hope that makes sense!
    Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might look next- help would be greatly appreciated as it is expected to do service at a wedding not this weekend but the next!

Re: Boema not autofilling- any help appreciated

telemaster,

Although I dont know the Boema in detail.... in general

The level probe (when water is low) operates a relay which....

1. opens a solenoid valve to allow water from the pump to flow into the boiler
    2. supplies power to the pump to fill the boiler.

When the probe again detects water in the boiler at the correct level, the relay drops out....

Does the pump operate when water is low? I suspect the water low circuit isnt operating at all..... and as you can rule out the pump (as you can brew) it is probably the relay which is faulty.

If the pump operates but the boiler doesnt fill.... then Id suspect a faulty boiler fill solenoid.

Hope that helps

Hi Java,
    when all is operating (when water is high enough) you can get the machine to brew. When you use the hot water outlet in this state the water flows from the boiler but autofill doesnt work, and so the pressure gauge shows the same pressure until you use the manual fill button. Then it drops I imagine due to cold water coming in.
    Hope this helps, thanks
    Brett

Brett,

Id guess that either the relay isnt operating.... or that the solenoid which lets water into the boiler is either suck closed, the coil has burnt out or a wire has become corroded and disconnected.....

That would be the most likely cause in most commercials Ive played with.... and Im assuming the Boema is similar....

Would be really handy is someone had a circuit of this beastie .... that was the first thing I obtained for my La Cimbali (other than the machine itself ::))

Hi Java hope this helps
    Ill try phoning Boema today as well. Many thanks,
    Brettt

Hi Brett,

A shame to hear its playing up. Those symptoms ring a bell from the early days. If those were the symptoms I was troubleshooting, it ended up being the control board. I replaced a couple of relays without any joy, then started chasing down cold joints. IIRC, the power transformer was the culprit. The solder joint to the board was fine, but I placed a small wedge between the trafo and the PCB and the problem never recurred. Sounds bodgy I know, but it worked and was cheaper than the $250 or so for a replacement board (they dont repair them)!

Im off to work now, but Ill PM you as soon as I get a chance.

BTW Java, Im pretty sure Bo-Ema have the circuit diagram on their website; I got it from somewhere and printed it out anyway....

Regards,
    Phil

Brett,

The circuit helps.

OK your manual fill button operates the fill 2 way solenoid so if that works then the solenoid is fine. (Mine is a mechanical valve which allows the water supply to fill the boiler directly). We have also established that the pump is working OK.

So the culprit must be the FIL40ES control board (as Phil suggested).... and that is potentially bad news. If its like the La Cimbali then they arent repairable, and also arent cheap (and despite lots of searching I couldnt find a circuit for my board either......) La Cimbali consider it a "black box" - all be it a very expensive black box.....

All I can suggest is have a good look over the board for loose connectors, or small cracks in the board and the copper track on the board. I suspect that was the problem with Phils and the wedge caused the broken track to make contact again.

Good luck, you will probably need it.

I did Phils trick of a wedge under the little transformer on the circuit board- this time I used a toothpick which I shaved down- this allowed me to use very careful force to maintain circuit trace contact. The unit is happy for now.
    After the wedding, Ill try to remove the transformer fro the board using desoldering braid- the desolder bulb didnt get enough off this morning- and check for a break in the traces under it- this unit uses a double sided board, with diff traces each side (wierd).
    Thanks to Phil and JavaB for help

Brett

It sounds like you need to take out your auto fill probe and clean it, they get gummed up with scale on the bottom, which stops the signal and prevents the machine from filling...

I hope this helps.

Jacob.

Hi all,

I think what you mean Jacob, is when the circuit is not completed eg as in when the probe is dirty or scaled up, the auto fill box doesnt get the signal to stop filling so it keeps going ie it overfills ad infinitum until you switch it off and investigate / rectify the cause. ie the oppposite to not filling!

Regardz,
    FC.

Hi Jacob- cleaning the probe was the first thing I did, but to no effect. As its coming up to Christmas Ill probably pull the transformer off the circuit board and fix the trace. Failing that, Ill get a new board.
    Thanks
    Brett