Thread: Need feedback and opinion on Faema 3 Group

Need feedback and opinion on Faema 3 Group

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

Ive just noticed this post:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1190020431

Before I give the seller a call, I would like some honest opinion and feedback from other users. Any seller will of course not give 100% negative feedback on their products.

I would like to know what you all think about purchasing a machine as old as this one. It has obviously been used day and night being at a Cafe.

I am thinking of purchasing it not for a commercial use however as a machine for my business to be used by myself and a few other people. Pretty much around 10 coffees a day or so.

Basically I would like your opinions on the following points:

1. Are they known to be reliable?
    2. Are there certain parts that are known to require replacement often?
    3. Would you recommend the purchase of one of these for more of a domestic use, rather than commercial?
    4. How often would a machine like this require servicing, also would it be an expensive process - ball park figure?

Thats pretty much it. Any other feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

TC

Re: Need feedback and opinion on Faema 3 Group

Quote Originally Posted by allblitz link=1196746381/0#0 date=1196746381
    Hi guys,

Ive just noticed this post:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1190020431

Before I give the seller a call, I would like some honest opinion and feedback from other users. *Any seller will of course not give 100% negative feedback on their products.

I would like to know what you all think about purchasing a machine as old as this one. *It has obviously been used day and night being at a Cafe. *

I am thinking of purchasing it not for a commercial use however as a machine for my business to be used by myself and a few other people. *Pretty much around 10 coffees a day or so.

Basically I would like your opinions on the following points:

1. *Are they known to be reliable?
    2. *Are there certain parts that are known to require replacement often?
    3. *Would you recommend the purchase of one of these for more of a domestic use, rather than commercial?
    4. *How often would a machine like this require servicing, also would it be an expensive process - ball park figure?

Thats pretty much it. *Any other feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Hi All and welcome,

Many of us here know Ken very well and respect him as a highly ethical person. I think that he will call it 100% as it is....Faema are considered robust and reliable. In addition, the price is terrific....

Why not give him a buzz and have a chat?

Chris

1. Are they known to be reliable?

Yes

2. Are there certain parts that are known to require replacement often?

no personal experience

3. Would you recommend the purchase of one of these for more of a domestic use, rather than commercial?

I wouldve bought this were it not for the challenge of working out freight costs and the timeframe I needed a machine in - this wouldve been for home use.

4. How often would a machine like this require servicing, also would it be an expensive process - ball park figure?

Talk to your nearest supplier and they should be able to help. For an office machine (with a grinder and a decaf grinder) I think something like this would be perfect.

Some would say that having a two-group for domestic purposes is over the top. Let alone a three-group. Unless you are going to get some private joy from having a huge commercial machine like that -- and they are BIG --- then it is definitely more suited to a commercial rather than domestic environment.

Obviously you have to replace minor things like group seals, which are cheap.

The electronics, if they break down, are very expensive. This one appears to have digital temperature displays, as well as volumetric dosing, adding to the complexity and potential repair costs.

Cant advise on serving costs -- I am a compulsive self-servicer, from cars to lawn mowers to electric motors to coffee machines. I dont believe in paying car dealers about $400 for a "service" which in essence means changing the oil ($20) and filter ($10)---retail.

If you are competent, learn how the machine works and know how to diagnose and repair/service yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1196746381/0#3 date=1196754490
    The electronics, if they break down, are very expensive. This one appears to have digital temperature displays, as well as volumetric dosing, adding to the complexity and potential repair costs.

Cant advise on serving costs -- I am a compulsive self-servicer, from cars to lawn mowers to electric motors to coffee machines. I dont believe in paying car dealers about $400 for a "service" which in essence means changing the oil ($20) and filter ($10)---retail.

If you are competent, learn how the machine works and know how to diagnose and repair/service yourself.
    Agree totally with robusto.

IMHO commercial machines are really only viable outside the Commercial environment (for which they were designed) if you can / will maintain them yourself.

I LOVE my ex commercial machine and wouldnt swap it for anything (well maybe a Synesso ::) ) but it isnt easily transported for service.... and getting someone in to service the machine is $$$$$$$$

Parts dont often fail - but when they do they are expensive (again designed for the commercial world)..... that is especially true of the pump and motor..... and if you have an automatic - you better pray that the computer board doesnt fail - the cost of a new one is most of the cost of a Silvia..... and that doesnt include labour for fitting :(

But they are fantastic for home use (if you entertain a lot) and limitless hot water is also a real bonus.

KB

Appreciate all the comments guys. Most a valid.
    For what its worth can I give you the long story about this machine as explained to some interested parties.
    Its a bit of a rant so Andy and fellow mods feel free to delete.
    I tried very hard to explain the potential difficulties in putting a commercial machine into a domestic situation depending on individual knowledge on how to go about this.
    Quote to one query
    "As I see it the negatives are:
    Uses more power and needs 20 amp power supply to run it.
    Would possibly need a plumber to connect a fitting from your water supply so that a standard flexible steel hose can be screwed on. This would then go to the filter which I can supply along with the other hose which connects to the machine.
    The machine takes about 15 minutes to get to temperature , then heat up time for the filter holders. I keep mine on 24 hrs and everything is ready to go first thing in the morning. It saves time and less power under pressure than ramping up each day( My belief)
    It takes up a lot of room about 1 mtr. wide plus room for grinder and operating space
    Cost of repairs could be higher as the machine would require on site repair rather than drop off to a service centre, although parts are easily obtained through the likes of Coffee Parts or through the Faema agents in Melbourne.
    On the plus side it can handle multiple coffees at a time as fast as you can do it.
    Steam power is good and micro foaming is good. I replaced the large steam nozzles with smaller ones and turned down the boiler pressure a bit to get what I believe is a better extraction temperature, still has plenty of steaming power.
    Although getting on in years a lot of work was done on this machine firstly when I bought it several years ago and during this time I have replaced the power board which shorted out due to a fuse being bridged over by some incompetent tech in earlier years. The board has been adapted by Coffee Technologies in Melbourne to take the later model "Diplomat" board.
    The pressure electronic readout and adjustment has been bypassed and a standard pressure gauge fitted so that the boiler pressure and bar pressure gauge are side by side. I thought because of the machines age there could be calcium buildup in the boiler so got a tech. to syphon out water after stirring up the bottom the water remained clear. So without a full chemical clean, which may or may not improve the espresso taste, the machine is performing close to its best.
    A new pressure stat was fitted recently along with solenoids and coils. The water pump was replaced about a year ago at the time of the power board problem as this was thought to be faulty, but it turned out to be one of the leads to the gauge.
    (New seals just done)
    So thats the story. I am currently working on plans for extensions into an adjoining shop to cater for increased patrons and have decided to buy a new 3 group Wega that is a bit more impressive looking to the customer and I thought I deserved a new machine but could not afford a La Mazzocco or Synesso at this stage. The Wega set me back around $8000 just the same with new filtering system as well as the trialling of a new high magnetic filter that aids in water softening as well as calcium build up etc.
    Whats the machine worth? Who knows. To a cafe owner looking for a machine without being tied to a coffee brand that inflates the bean price to cover machine and promotion material and that can produce a cap. cafe latte or flat white better than what I have tasted at most other places I go to, out side a select few, it is probably worth my original asking price.
    To someone not able to obtain commercial gain then maybe a several thousand dollar HX single group may be more practical or general domestic machine for less than a thousand."
    I am willing to look at a reduced price to a newbie who wants to learn on a commercial machine or even for a commercial outlet.
    Time to move on
    Ken

KB

By the way, I and 2 of fellow staff got held up at knife point yesterday.
    May or may not justify our coffee prices but it sure is a hard way to make a living.
    Ken

TC

Quote Originally Posted by KB link=1196746381/0#6 date=1196940160
    May or may not justify our coffee prices but it sure is a hard way to make a living.
    Ken
    Wow Ken,

Glad to hear that youre ok...$$ are easier to replace than body organs....

I hope that the culprits have a lonely, miserable Christmas in addition to chronic, severe haemorhoids..

Chris

thats bloody terrible. As for the machine I can tell you that I have the FAEMA Due (ie 2 group) and its a beauty that makes it very easy to make excellent coffee shot after shot with very little need for cooling flushes with the pressurestat turned down to cut out at about .9 bar and still produces more steam than a top end home machine could hope for. I also love getting the two groups working at the same time whilst steaming a litre of milk for guests in a massive stainless jug! The immediate hot water for teas etc is excellent, and I even use that water for boiling on the stove top.

Cheers

I think that my DUE - A shares the same group as the E91 Diplomat series based on the following:

www.coffeeparts.com/fae/fae1.html

The seals are easy to change, although my seal and shower screen set up is a little different from the Diplomat as you will see from that page.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by KB link=1196746381/0#6 date=1196940160
    Ken
    Sorry to hear that -- just read the post. Hope you have recovered. Hope the grubby crooks are caught and spend a lot of time in quiet solitude regretting what they did.

Yeah, bloody mongrels alright >:(.... Have heard that some detention centres have rather long, steep, difficult to negotiate stair wells? One can hope that the buggers trip near the top and bounce all the way down to the bottom ::). The least that should happen in my book.... Glad to hear youre all ok though KB :), terrible experience to say the least.

Mal.

KB

Thanks Guys
    My youngest may need some counseling. She was pretty shook up.
    Me - Im constantly in a state of numbness.
    Ken

Hey

Had something similar happen.
    Really worth getting counselling. The sooner the better.
    It actually helps to talk to someone who knows what you are feeling and can explain that that is ok, and the process one normally goes through after a traumatic experience.

B

Hey Ken
    Sorry to hear about your episode. Dont forget to look after yourself as well.
    Speak to someone (counselor) even if you dont think you need it. These things effects you in ways you cant predict.

Take Care
    Crash