Thread: All Assistance appreciated!?!

All Assistance appreciated!?!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    GDay Im a new to this caper. My wife purchased this Boema machine at an Auction and im responsible for fixing it up.
    Could someone please identify it? everything seems to be functioning except the Procon water pump.
    Does anyone know the best place to buy one, new or refurbished?
    Also any tips on cleaning it up would be appreciated.
    Thanks Bazz

N.B.:
    Please ensure that attached images are sized to a max of 640x480 pixels as this reduces the amount of scrolling required in most browsers....

Mal.

Re: All Assistance appreciated!?!

Gday bazzah, welcome to CS ...

To me looks like a semi-automatic HX, where you can control the flow-time of extraction via those red switches. Dont know the age or the model though from your pic - could be a Classic. I also cant tell from the angle of your pic whether a pressure stat gauge, to give readings of relative steam & extraction levels, exists on the face of the machine.

Maybe post another pic (smaller please! ;)), but front on rather than the angle, so it gives us a better look at the machine.

Also, with respect, you say youre new to this caper but can identify the pump as the only non-functioning aspect of the machine ... how did you pinpoint that as the problem?

Anyway mate, a bit more info provided might reap a few more answers.

Cheers,
    Tony

Hi, thanks for the interest.
    This does have a pressure gauge on RHS. It appears to have had some water in it at some stage (water marks inside) and it doesnt work.
    we hooked it up to a garden hose and filled the tank.
    The tank seemed to get to a high enough temp to produce some steam, but the pump would not kick in.
    The motor works fine but the pump is ceased, looks like the water may not have been too clean.
    I have attached another photo if it helps at all.
    Thanks

Hi,

It looks like its an "A-3S20A". Doesnt seem to be the "C-Classic" or "D-Deluxe" range.

A = All original
    3S = 3-group Semi-auto
    20A = 20 amp

From http://www.boema.com.au/frmain01.htm:
    A-3S20A 3 GRP SEMI 20AMP "ALL ORIGINAL" 240V 4800W 4587.00

For cleaning the outside, stainless steel cleaning spray will make it shinier than you expect!

Call up Boema, http://www.boema.com.au

-Paul

Given the uknown state of the machine, a thorough flush, clean and descale of the insides might prove more beneficial.

Bazzah, you obviously can hear the motor running, but no water emerges from the groups, is that right?

On the surface you would suspect the pump, but perhaps the groups are blocked. Sometimes that is the case, and a dismantle and clean will fix it.

On some machines (mine) an air lock can stop the flow of water through the heat exchangers. A simple fix is to partly unscrew the pipe to the pressure gauge to bleed out air.

Pumps and motors are available from www.coffeeparts.com.au a site sponsor

Hi,
    We bought the machine at a sale, not connected or running.

I noticed that the pump wasnt cutting in, so I separated the pump from the motor (clamp on pump). The motor runs free but the pump is seized.

I ran the machine without the pump, connected to mains water only, to test it. Everything was fine perfectly clear water from the groups and excellent steam. All seems to work fine, with the exception of the pump and the presure guage.

I think I will replace the pump and guage and see how it goes. Curious as to the age of the machine and the value.
    Thanks

Bad luck about the pump. The options are a reconditioned one or a new one, with not too much price difference between the two. Boemas have a good reputation. Yours seems pretty straight forward, no complicated computer boxes to drive volumetric dosing. Easier to diagnose, and cheaper to fix. :)

Its hard to put a value on the machine -- three-groups arent as popular among domestic users for the obvious reason of being too big and overkill to requirement.

Hi bazzah,

Looks like a good project for you.

If it was my machine, Id be doing a full dismantle and descale.

Check the hot water from the boiler for taste.... if it tastes "off" then milk has been sucked back into the boiler at some stage.... and a dismantle and clean of the boiler is required.... (no other option) :(

Pedro (CoffeeParts) can supply you a replacement pump.... and you can then test her out (which I did on mine before major surgery was undertaken).

Value..... as Robusto said its not easy as it depends on a number of factors.... but a commercial past its service life in the commercial world tends to fetch as follows....

1 Group (highly desirable for home use) $1200 - $1400
    2 Group (plumbing, special power run, lots of bench space) $400- $700
    3 Group and above (same as 2 Group but even bigger!!!) around $400 mark....

If in really top condition, or a highly collectable model etc... they will fetch a bit more.... also age does play a part.

If only a few years old, the 2 group and above will sell back into the commercial market and are worth a LOT more.... but once past that the price plummets. (Hence why they are attractive to some of us.... they make a great restoration project, produce great espresso and are cheap to purchase....) but its not worth "on- selling" as you probably wont recoup the money and time spent on the machine.

Just enjoy the machine - dont think dollar value!

Thank you,
    I will play around with it as a project.

It will make a great talking point in our BBQ area, or in our bar.

Bazzah

Quote Originally Posted by bazzah link=1197709554/0#8 date=1197779365
    It will make a great talking point in our BBQ area, or in our bar.

Bazzah
    ....over a cup of espresso from said machine in between drinks. ;)

a) this machine is most probably in the vicinity of 15 years old.

b) I am sorry to say that this machine has no value. It is obsolete, was only a low budget coffee machine in its time, and is a 3 group "elephant" which because of its size, makes it hard to sell....but it is simple and does the job.

c) You isolated the problem with the water pump admirably. CoffeeSnobeans always refer everyone to Coffee Parts, another site sponsor, and they seem to forget that other site sponsors also import and sell parts. I can also sell you a pump (and I am a site sponsor). From the sounds of it that will get you going.

d) Suggest you do not follow any of the advice (abeit well meaning) about pulling down and descaling etc. If it works and runs and makes coffee after only having to fit a new pump, enjoy the machine for what it is.

Its a pity the pressure gauge is not working, if you want to keep the machine and run it you really ought to get one.

If you do get a replacement gauge, on this machine set the pressure to cut out at 0.9 bars...no higher. *It has ample steam volume/pressure, and is an inherent coffee "burner" so you need to keep the temp of the boiler water down (set by adjusting boiler pressure to 0.9 as stated).

JavaB (I think) mentioned that you should smell, check the boiler water to get an idea of whether it has been contaminated with milk or other contaminants. Good idea. It probably has been, but could very well be within "reasonable" limits.......flush plenty of water through the machine (by pulling water out of the hot water tap and causing the auto fill to activate and refill with clean water). If this has a positive effect just keep flushing from time to time to keep the boiler water "fresh", and leave it alone. If on the other hand the boiler water is PUTRID, *from a commercial point of view I would stop there and junk it. *My workshop has seen some machines recently that were so bad that even after we DID fully run through with cleaning chemicals, acid, physical disassembly and everything else at our disposal, the machines were condemned. *Total waste of time, couldnt get the putrid smell out of the copper.

The steam valves on these babies are well below standard and the weakest link in the machine. Watch out for when they either just strip out and keep turning with no effect, OR...you open the valve but then cant close it. You will be looking for some new valves in the future. Say 3 new valves at say $100.00 each, and the machine isnt worth that much...its your call.

Also, note the large black plastic group switch "holders" - This machne did not start life as a simple, toggle switch operated "semi automatic". It either started out as a volumetric / electronic automatic, OR, someone has fitted a facia plate from a volumetric machine.

I think it more likely the machine was indeed a volumetric /electronic, and the CPU boxes were prone to failure. My workshop used to do an "exchange" repair service on them. They are unavailable now (although I bet we still have a couple in stock), and some PO must have done a conversion to this simpler format, covering up the large touch pad holes and inserting rocker switches.

All that said - it looks in extremely good condition on the outside for the age, and it strikes me that someone may already have "done it up". If so, good for you, you may have a nice functioning albeit extra large size coffee machine to sit next to your BBQ.

Replace the pump, and see how it goes!

Thats about all for the moment.

Good luck.
    FC.

When I got my commercial baby there was a slight taint of milk from the hot water tap. I drained the boiler using the bung plug under the boiler itself and filled and drained from that point several times and then stuck the bung back in and after a few auto fills on top with the hot water tap open it came good and has not had a taint since. I religiously flush the steam immediately after pulling the wand out of the milk - I do it with the left hand whilst polishing the milk by swirling it with the right...always. I then wash off the wand and for good measure give the wand another quick squirt to make sure...to make sure that I thought I had done it (because its second nature) and might not have the first time!

I also resisted the temptation to pull down my FAEMA and it has worked very well...but it was also in pristine condition. You might just want to suck it and see.

Cheers

Thank you for all of the advice, I will play around with it over xmas and see what happens.

F.C. you said you could supply a pump. Could you email me a price for the pump new/reconditioned/second hand, and a *pressure guage if you have one, delivered to Bathurst. *i will send you an email.

regards
    Bazzah