Thread: FAMEA Due - guage reckons that its pulling 11 bar

FAMEA Due - guage reckons that its pulling 11 bar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have had my Due for quite a while now and it is making lovely shots. I have noticed that with proper extraction the guage is reading 11 bar. I wonder if my guage is inaccurate or whether it is in fact pulling 11 bar. The espresso is very sweet and balanced on the tongue (its so consistent that I normally dial in the grind for the particular bean and use the volumetric pour which pans out at a consistent 20 seconds (give or take a second or 2 at the most - when the beans age I adjust the grind to suit), which is my guide, but wondering what people think of this. I could try reducing the pump pressure, but it was set up by a reputable coffee machine service and sales place and had been in use consistently before I got it - with little but daily use.

Cheers

Re: FAMEA Due - guage reckons that its pulling 11

Hi again Oz,

Maybe worth a call to Sparky to see if you can borrow his PF Pressure Gauge setup so that you can check it for yourself. Dont know if his PF will lock into the Faema but from memory the whole kit and caboodle just screws on to the thread that the spout(s) attach to. Should be easy to swap over if necessary...... :)

Mal.

Thanks again Mal - I am in Qld and I dont know where Sparky is but he might be able to help. I dont really know if its a problem or not - its pulling great shots in the normal time and volume. If it was really 11 bar wouldnt it be doing the shot far too quickly?

Cheers

I think he lives near The Gap IIRC. Thought you might have caught up with him at one of the BeanBay collections ;)

Re: the current suspected 11 Bar brew pressure.... I imagine you would have accommodated for this pressure from the outset Oz, if the gauge on the front panel is accurate so this is no real guide. Should the indicated pressure be actual, then you will actually notice an improvement in the quality of your shots after re-adjusting. Just goes to show you how good that Faema of yours is, eh? 8-)

Mal.

Arrhh...Mark yep, we have not met but he has been a great help early on with this machine. I might have a tinker in the next week with the pressure adjustment on the pump and see what I can achieve.

Cheers and thanks again Mal:)

I was doing my morning preparation for a shot and during the cooling shot with no grinds to get through the guage was showing at the top of the 7-8mm or so wide 9 bar range. Looks like im up for a play when she cools down after the morning kick start...

Ozscott,

That is probably not a problem as your rotary pump is most likely very similar to my La Cimbali.... it will provide 230L per hour at 9 bar....

And the groups have a flow restrictor to limit the flow rate to well below that.... so even with no grinds in the basket..... it will still supply the same pressure (as far as the restrictor).... and that will be indicated on the gauge.

The only time the pressure will increase a little is when you are backflushing... with zero water flow..... and it might then increase by 0.1 bar or so.

Totally different to a vibe pump where pressure drops when the flow increases..... I can have both groups running (no grinds) and be drawing hot water (and/or the boiler fill cuts in)..... and the pressure is still 9 bar. I would expect yours to be the same.