Thread: Advice needed on a Unic Diva

Advice needed on a Unic Diva

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been interested in commercial machines, comes from hanging around CS to much, so when this not working unit came along I jumped at it to have a play with. It is quite a beefy single group machine, appearance is not to bad, with a big boiler, sirai pressurestat, rotary pump. Group doesnt appear to be water heated, just hangs on the end of the boiler, no conventional shower screen, water flows from the centre of a disc maybe to help keep group clear of grinds, solenoid controlled steam wand, which is a thick teflon affair with what looks like a 3 position flow adjustment, it is French made and reminds me of there cars, a bit quirky. Anyway I came by it because it ceased working, the previous owner a electrician treated himself to a new machine. Ive turned it on and the fill box leds dont come on, pulled wire from probe and autofill did not kick in, power continuity is OK up to the fill box. I have opened the controller(made by gicar) but nothing stands out as being blown, transformer, relays etc look OK. So can anyone offer any suggestions re testing and repairs, has anyone had experience using one of these units. Worst case would be to replace the 2 Unic controllers with a standard Gicar fill box and a rocker switch I expect this would set me back around $200.00.

Re: Advice needed on a Unic Diva

Cant help you with the specifics of your machine Vic but we need to see lots of photos [smiley=laugh.gif], youre not allowed to start talking about a newly acquired machine and then NOT show us what it looks like :o....... Thats just plain cruel :(

Mal.

I will put some up over the weekend Mal. :)

Pics of the Diva unclad :o temporary position sitting on a piece of cardboard on 2 chairs so it can be plugged into the air conditioner 15 amp plug, she also has her control boxes half hanging out. The other night the LEDs lit up and pump started to kick in, today thinks I shell be going, but she has turned temperamental and now wont wake up for me. :(

Side view showing 6.3 litre boiler, rotary pump and motor visible below boiler

Top view of boiler, control box wiring visible at front, Sirai p/stat at rear.

Rear of boiler showing Sirai and fill solenoid

Divas face with control boxes half hanging out. Machine has narrow foot print thanks to for aft boiler.

Gauges and teflon steam wand.

Looks like the Gicar fill box transformer has gone faulty to start with, would any one out there have a Hahn BV EI 303 0134 or 303 2034 out of a old Gicar? :D, also had a bit of a mishap with the board but will cross that bridge when I get it powered up. :-[

Looks to have the goods for delivering quality coffee vr 8-), when you get it all sorted out. One thing though, must be one of the most substantial single group commercials I have ever seen :o. Best of luck with the auto controls mate :),

Mal.

I have posted a cry for help over on CG
    http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/esp...inemods/348834
    Any assistace from fellow CSs would be appreciated, even the terminal out voltage for the fill probe would be helpful.

Site Sponsor

Vicroamer;

The best person to talk about this machine is an old friend of my. He is in Brisbane and he used to be head teck for Cona Coffee. His name is Guy and his business name is Espresso Break Down
    1/ 1 Dan St Capalaba QLD 4157
    ph: (07) 3245 1991.

Good luck, and send my regards if you talk to him.

regards

Renzo

Good news, autofill now works :P
    Bad news, autofill wont stop :(
    Back to the drawing board ::)

Autofill box now seems to be functioning correctly, the relays appear to working as they should, though before I can fire the machine up I need to redo the wires between the 2 boards they, couldnt handle the constant flexing of my repair attempts, The volumetric control box will be replaced with a on/off switch. The boiler also needs to be partly drained the result of overfilling when it couldnt switch off. More in a couple of days when I can get back to it.
    At the moment I have a smile on my dial *:) fingers crossed the worst is over with.

Youre a brave man VR.......... Ray.

Brave for smiling in presumption the worst is over ?...ahh no the wiring. You really do need to make sure the machine is unplugged b4 you fiddle with then....and NOT standing in a mercury bath helps too....(me and my randomness) one wire at a time, one end at a time.....lots of photos from all angles....youll get there.

My auto fill still wont work hot...I must try some insulation on it...it worksright up untill full boiler pressure...then knocks of because of the heat and goes home till the next day.

DONT USE

hi
    in regard to Unic control box there is a bloke i use in Qld who reconditions them. if you need his details email me

the unic diva is a top machine , 10amp, small footprint, good size boiler, they were available with a full metal steam arm or the plastic turbo unit, some parts are a bit hard to get, but worth the effort

graham

The lady is now a goer, shes been sitting in the corner plugged in to the 15amp a/c outlet and cycling all day. Autofill now works as it should, despite wanting to do its own thing early on, but after a slight wiring adjustment she settled down and behaved.
    Parts used in the Gicar were transformer, regulator, opamp chip, timer chip, mkt capacitor and a transistor, also replaced other components as I struggled to come to grips with the circuit, started making headway when I photographed both sides of the board and mirror imaged the rear, that way I could line up the two images and figure out what went where.
    With that out of the way other issues have come along, like no water through the group, checked wiring & solenoid all ok, found the gicleur blocked, corrected that. Then brew switch didnt work, strange since I have replaced the dose box with a on/off switch and it was functioning ok, the 12v supply to the switch also branched down to the doser, unplugged the doser and the switch functioned, must have been shorting through the doser. So Diva will now live out her days as a semi auto, sans doser and dose buttons just one big red on/off brew switch.
    Still more things to be sorted, I dont think I can live with that pannarello steamer, that will have to be replaced. My one attempt at pulling a shot was a disaster, group gasket needs replacing and brew pressure needs to be checked.
    Please take note, working on the fill box required testing components in situ with the board powered up, I do NOT advocate people do this, if you do, take due safety precautions YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Love the posts! I also have a UNIC Diva that makes great espresso.... however.. the rotary pump is very loud... well I hear a loud engaging sound .. its just loud.. my FAEMA Compact with Vibe pump is quieter... anyway.. that and the water side of my manometer pegs out almost to the other side.. other than that.. it seems to work great and temps are good.... any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 3D29382B313834590 link=1199358106/15#15 date=1250179590
    Love the posts! I also have a UNIC Diva that makes great espresso.... however..

the rotary pump is very loud... well I hear a loud engaging sound .. its just loud..

any suggestions?
    i got to ask the dumb questions

the bolts or screw circlip thing is tight on the pump right?
    and the brackets it sits on are tight too?
    and its not torque of starting moving the pump to "bang something" inside the case?

apart from that, is the key way pump bit bent / wrong size?

i know i know but often the simple things make a diff.....

Hi anyone have DIVA UNIC PRO manual in pdf format ? Thanks

Hi,

My unic diva pro wont heat at all, any idea how to fix this. My guess it is between thermostat, sirai and heating element. I dont think theres any power running to the heating element, but i am not sure. I try to push the thermostat button then running the machine again, still no luck.

Any help would is appreciated

thanks

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 48444B4D4A4A41250 link=1199358106/17#17 date=1252870337
    Hi,

My unic diva pro wont heat at all, any idea how to fix this. My guess it is between thermostat, sirai and heating element. I dont think theres any power running to the heating element, but i am not sure. I try to push the thermostat button then running the machine again, still no luck.

Any help would is appreciated

thanks
    Hello manhood,

If you dont have a good understanding of what youre doing, its probably best to arrange service for your machine.

Assuming you have reset the thermal switch, it could be any of:
    [*]failed element[*]failed element relay on control board[*]failed pressurestat- less likely

If you have a mutlimeter, you can switch off and unplug your machine and then test for resistance across the element probes. Typical readings are in the order of 40 ohm in most prosumer level stuff...

If the thermal switch brings things back to life, you need to work out why it tripped- leaks from the boiler or using your machine as a kettle are the two most common causes.

Good luck and if electrikery is beyond you, take it to a service agent. Repair bills are less expensive than medical bills...

2mcm

Good luck and if electrikery is beyond you, take it to a service agent. Repair bills are less expensive than medical bills.
    I second this advice, I no longer have the Diva, it was an interesting project, a learning experience as I nutted out the problems. Take care.