Thread: HELP! Faema E98 S1 (aka Cimbali Jnr) problem

HELP! Faema E98 S1 (aka Cimbali Jnr) problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I finally got my Faema E98 (purchased on the “Hardware For Sale” section on here) home last night and fired it up. My problem is that it doesn’t heat up, even after being on for 45mins. Everything else appears to work – pump works, water comes out of the grouphead, but the water is cold and the boiler pressure gauge doesn’t budge from zero.

Note that this machine is BRAND NEW, and has never been used before, so I’m doubtful that any parts could be broken/faulty as presumably it was tested at the factory and worked ok then.

So, before I put it in for repair, or try to see if I can get it fixed under warrantee, are there any simple things I can check first? Could I have missed some important step when I was setting it up? These are the steps I followed when I got it home:

1. Unpacked machine and set it up on counter.
    2. Filled reservoir with water.
    3. Turned on power.
    4. Pressed “boiler fill” button until I heard pump prime with water and water level on sight glass increase to over half-way (was already showing some water in boiler before I filled it – maybe from factory testing?)
    5. Turned on brew switch – water came out grouphead, so far so good.
    6. Allowed time fore machine to heat up, but it never heated up.

Is there anything I can check? Any ideas what may be wrong? Where should I go from here?

thanks,
    Bill

Re: HELP! Faema E98 S1 (aka Cimbali Jnr) problem

Bill,

This might sound stupid but ::).....

You are turning the power switch to position 2.....

Position 1 is all but heaters..... position 2 adds the heaters.

Theres a position 2??!! * :o :-[
    I thought it was just on or off. Gee I feel stupid now. Ill check that out tonight.

thanks JavaB! *:)

Just checking the manual at work. Theres no mention of a position "2" in the manual that I can see.

Manual states "Turn main swith to position "1". If water in boiler is lower than the MIN level, press boiler fill button and keep depressed until the floating ball reaches MAX. Heating now begins."

They couldve made that manual more clear/complete!

Bill,

The Faema and La Cimbalis Ive seen (admittedly older than yours) all have a two position main switch..... so you can fill the boiler before turning on the elements....

It is possible they have done away with this "safety feature"

See left hand switch below:

Yep, Im sure youre right. I think that photo is of my actual machine!

The photo in the manual only apperas to have "0" and "1" on their machine though, so maybe theres been some different variations of it.

Thanks for your help. I feel like a complete idiot though. Ill just run and hide somewhere now.

Youll do no such thing! :) No such thing as a stupid question even if something is pretty obvious once you know the answer (and what solutions arent when you know the answer?!). Chances are youll have answered the same question for someone else down the track.

Greg

Yep, there was a position "2" on the switch. It works now. :)

Congratulations Bill...

They are a fantastic machine - very well built and it will make you some fantastic espressos.....

It is just a cut down version of my M20 (and that is a great machine IMHO)..

Let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1202177427/0#8 date=1202213216
    Congratulations Bill...

They are a fantastic machine - very well built and it will make you some fantastic espressos.....

It is just a cut down version of my M20 (and that is a great machine IMHO)..

Let us know how you go.
    Seems to work well, but I have to get used to it I think. Its somewhat different to the Silvia, particularly in regards to steaming. Also have to work out a flushing technique to get the right temps out of it.

The double filter basket that came with it looks quite similar to the Synesso ones, but holds about 2gm less than the LM double Ive got. Fortunately my Pullman tamper appears to be a pretty good fit in it.

The boiler pressure cycles between a little below 0.85, to just slightly over 1.0 - not sure if that setting is ideal or not. Thats at the very low end of the "green" zone on the pressure gauge. Should the pressurestat be set higher than that?

Bill,

Changes to the pressurestat will affect the brew temperature as well.... so Id try before you alter anything. That pressure range is pretty well identical to what most of us who run commercial machines use..... Any higher and you need much longer cooling flushes and you will have even more steam when you texture your milk - and around 0.9 Bar is plenty for that....

Yes, cooling flushes are very important.

See: http://www.home-barista.com/junior-buyers-guide-espresso-performance.html

and the links from that page for some valuable hints on flushing..... it makes a great use for volumetric buttons -if you had them- (which otherwise wouldnt be used ;) ::))...

And you are correct - it is no Silvia and requires quite different techniques to get the best results.... but once mastered the results are fantastic.

Enjoy!!!

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.

Hi Bill

Good to hear that youve got your machine safely back home, and that youve solved your problem...

My machine only has one position which is ON for both heating elements and pump. Its a couple of years old. Perhaps there is some recent developments... or maybe my machine is older than I thought.

My pressure guage also cycles between 0.85 and about 1 and a wee bit just to bottom of green area. Probably factory set.

Mine requires quite a decent cooling flush, and that article in Home Barista is very useful

And I think that the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Regards and enjoy
    Robert

Thanks Robert.

Yes, that manual seems pretty useless.

The Home Barista article is very good. I had read it some time ago, but I think I need to re-read it more carefully now that I have the machine up and running.

How are you finding the steaming? Are you getting good microfoam from it yet?

HI Bill

Got a good microfoam ONCE and once only. So I know the machine knows how to do it.... Im just not sure what I did to do that, so I dont know how to repeat it .... more experimenting required.... but I only use a small amount of milk or none in my drinks so I waste a lot and I dont get a lot of practice. Im sure that you with your exprience will master it soon

Did you read this thread? http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1202017308
    I found it encouraging. Let me know how you go.

Regards
    Robert

Hi Robert,

Yes, I read that thread.

Well tonights effort at steaming was better than last nights attempt, but still nowhere near what I was getting out of the Silvia. I still need more practice at it. It heats up so quick that its a bit difficult to find that right position to get a good whirlpool happening in that short amount of time. Im sure Ill get there eventually though.

I got a better crema out of it tonight as well, as Im gradually getting the dose and grind closer to optimum. And also been working on my cooling flush routine. Itd be better if I could see what temperature I was actually getting during the shot though.

I just purchase the Faema E98 S1 as well and its such a great machine. Mines made in 2002 but its been barely used from what I can see when Im cleaning the machine.

A few problems with the machine. The floating ball that tells you the level of the boiler is not working so I cant tell how much water is in the boiler. Doesnt matter but I do want to look into fixing it.

The hot water dispenser only seems to dispense steam. Not matter what I do in terms of cooling flushes etc, I cant seem to get hot water from the dispenser, just steam.

How do I tell if the machine is running too hot? Is that possible and what can I do about it?

Hi E-Gene. Interesting you only get steam. Maybe your boiler water level is really low (ie, below the hot water inlet in the boiler)?

Hey mate,
    Good pick up E-Gene! Have you actually pulled a shot from the machine yet? Reason I ask, is that usually the hot water dumps out the bottom of the boiler, now if you say the floating ball isnt, well floating, have you actually got much water in the boiler (hence all the steam being dumped intead)? I must admit, I know nothing about this machine, but I thought Id just throw that out there.

YeeZa

Beat you to it by 2 mins Yeeza! By the way, glad you like my bike!

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1202177427/0#19 date=1216901708
    Beat you to it by 2 mins Yeeza! *By the way, glad you like my bike!
    Yeah a bit behind you on the typing there mate, but surely your delayed reaction to my reaction of your bike was weeks! ;D ;D ;D

Even weeks later, Ill still remember a compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1202177427/20#21 date=1216902747
    Even weeks later, Ill still remember a compliment!
    :D

I can pull a shot no probs. Pretty good actually, but the hot water dispenser still only dispenses steam.

Maybe Ill push the machine to fill more of the boiler before I try again.

Any other thoughts?

Id be very concerned that the water level wasnt high enough - there is about an inch or so of boiler depth below the sight screen on the front panel that frames the glass tube - below which the ball can disappear into if the water isnt high enough. If the water is down there, its not covering the element fully.

Even if you cant see the ball (it can get stuck down there) - you should still be able to see the boiler waters meniscus in the glass tube? If not - you definitely need to add more water.

In terms of running hot - you can deal with this by turning the boiler pressure down to peak at 0.9 bar or thereabouts, then developing a decent cooling flush/recovery understanding.

A couple of useful threads on this machine are at:

For the basics on a cooling flush regime, see http://www.home-barista.com/junior-b...g-started.html

For very useful data on the temperature performance and recovery of the Junior, see http://www.home-barista.com/forums/n...ata-t5601.html

My own personal regimen is as follows:

I run my Junior at 0.9 bar max.
    I give Junior 40 mins at least to get warm.
    Preparing to pull a shot, I do two 10 sec cooling flushes about a minute apart to get Junior in the groove (this gets rid of Juniors slight tendency to initial exuberance).
    Then....
    In winter, I do an 8 sec flush, wait around 17 to 22 secs to pull a shot (22 secs on a very cold morning, 17 secs in the middle of a warmer winter day)
    In summer, I do a 10 sec flush, then wait 15 secs to pull a shot (less if its a very hot day).
    The taste is in the cup. Too hot will be black flecked (!), burnt tasting with poor crema. Too cold will be sour tasting and a very washed out colour to the crema. Just right will be a rich toffee crema with reddy flecks (yum).

Hi E_Gene, You can still get water out the group with really low water level in the boiler, as your HX is independent, and would be full. Id be filling some more to avoid damage.

Well it looks like it was probably a low water senerio. Ive filled the boiler up more and the hot water dispenser, guess what, dispenses hot water now. Thanks guys!

As for the water level green ball thingie, I cant imagine where the ball could have gone. I think I see water in the tube, but its either totally full or totally empty cos I cant see a level at all.

Sorry if I was telling you how to suck eggs re hot vs cold E-Gene (like doh, just noticed your blogspot etc)!

But it does sound like your Faema has sucked its little green ball somewhere (better than an egg I suspect).

You could investigate this quite easily by removing the cup warmer tray (via screws) - exposing the top of the machine - then unscrewing the top boiler inspection hole nut, then putting a dipstick (bamboo skewer?) down into the boiler to manually check the level.

If it is clear that the ball is stuck (and perhaps blocking the water into the glass tube) then you need to go further in the dismantle. First, drain the water from the boiler (LHS side cover will access drain plug) then remove the front panel to get access to the glass tube, then unscrew its whole assembly off the boiler top and bottom (careful, dont damage boiler!), then youve got it on the bench and it should be pretty obvious how to dismantle it from there. Hopefully, the little green ball wont drop out while youre doing this and run down the crack at the back of the workshop!

Good luck and happy mechanicking.

Haha, I love eggs so its ok. Theres such a great range of members on this forum but your reply was still great. See that the weekend is ahead, will definitely take some time to investigate the disappearing green ball.

But definitely appreciate your response. Thanks dude.