Thread: How do you change the gaskets on an Epoca?

How do you change the gaskets on an Epoca?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, a few weeks ago I posted a post regarding my group heads on my Rancilio Epoca leaking. I just ordered the new gaskets from Coffee Parts along with new shower heads.

It may be one of the simplist things but I have never done it before and dont want to possibly damage anything. How do I replace the old gaskets??? The shower heads come off just by unscrewing the 10mm bolt in the centre of it but I cannot see or feel the old gasket.

Any Ideas on how to do it or any sites that may have a walk through on the procedure? I checked the Rancilio site but cant seem to find anything other than owners manual and a parts list.

I look forward to any answers you guys may have.

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: How do you change the gaskets on an Epoca?

:)

Greetings David, Im Dave as well, and as two newer green beans, I say we take over!!

As far as gaskets and shower heads, keep in mind CLEANLINESS...

Clean threads, Clean Surfaces, and Dont overtighten anything!!!!!(too loose will leak and be obvious)

When working with fittings, a little water will help to lubricate parts, and evaporate.

When cleaning, Id use the planets best, most universal solvent to clean.....
    ...WATER!(distilled of course)

As far as your particular machine, I have no experience. *Certain parts could require sealer/anti-sieze (Lets have some input from the veterans beanos)

Cheers! *Good luck with your operation ...er SURGERY !

Dave

Hi David,
    I take it youre referring to the group gasket that helps seal the portafilter against the group head when pulling a shot? When they get old and brittle you can get leaking from around the filter and you then need to replace it.

If so - as far as I know, the gasket setup is the same as for the Silvia - (and the S27 that I have). There are a number of guides online about replacing the gasket on a Silvia - many with pics. Im loathe to provide a direct link right now as some of these sites belong to non-sponsors, but Google will find them easily enough.

The basics is that you use a gasket pick or fine-nose pliers to pull the old gasket out. (or screw a couple of self-tapping screws into the gasket then yank on those). Residue is usually then chiselled or scraped out with whatever is handy - big sewing needle or whatever.

The new gasket is a push-fit into the ring/slot - and putting the portafilter in a few times will help seat it.

Take this all with a grain of salt as I actually havent done it to my own machine and am going by memory and what Ive seen on-line - but I will be looking at doing it soon.

Good luck.

Frankie

When I changed the gasket on the used Epoca that I got I had trouble finding it as well! The gasket isnt held in place by the shower screen, it is actually inserted into a cutout in the very top of the grouphead, and it sits flush with it. Mine was old and dry, so I couldnt actually find it by feel, as it just felt like metal.

If you take a light and shine it into the deepest recess of your group head, you should be able to see it as a dark ring of rubber about 8mm wide flush against the brass that drops to join the shower screen.

It should have four small notches, at 3, 6, 9 and 12 oclock, which you may be able to get something into to hook it and pull it out, but I had to use the self-tapping screw method on mine, as it was so hard. It isnt easy and does provoke cursing, but you should be able to get a good few turns of the screw into the rubber. The gasket is quite thick, but dont go too far in or you will hit the brass above it. Get a screw or two in and start pulling it out with the pliers.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone. All done and no more leaks.

David