Thread: 1 group Boema

1 group Boema

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well Iíve finally joined the extreme machines club after purchasing a 1 group volumetric Boema off ebay sight unseen, after picking it up I was pleasantly surprised with the condition externally, but after reading many stories here and elsewhere I was very nervous taking off the covers to possibly see a horror story, however yet again I was pleasantly surprised, it was reasonably clean.

However after firing it up I have a few questions the boiler pressure gauge on the front of the machine is indicating a pressure range from 20-25psi which from my conversions work at around 1.37-1.72 bar, from what I understand this is very high. If it is indeed too high how do I modify it?

I also tried to back flush the machine and it leaked from around the portafilter. Iím assuming that this was to due to a perished seal, if it is the item the green arrow is pointing to it was already cracked and when I removed it, it broke up in my hand. Iím more after confirmation that this was indeed the group seal and nothing more important.

One last one for now I also tried using the hot water spout and when opened it was a mixture of water and mostly steam that came out, I had an idea that this may be due to the above mentioned boiler pressure, but as I am unfamiliar with commercial machines please let me know if it is normal.

Thanks for reading, Rob.

Re: 1 group Boema

Hi mate and welcome to this interesting end of town!

Ok - boiler pressure is way to high - aim for .9bar - 1.1 bar to get going. You will probably find thats why your getting so much steam out of the hot water wand. MAKE SURE MACHINE IS OFF AND DISCONNECTED FROM THE WALL - then use the adjustment screw in on the pressurstat box marked with the CE symbol in photo 2 above on the left hand side of the photo. You should get access without removing the cover, but if you have to its only a screw. You will see a neg and pos symbol on the box. I would heat her up before turning off and doing the job, so that you can then plug her in and hit get her back up to temp very quickly. Then if the pressurstat is clicking off to low etc you can change things by a quick turn off plug out and adjusting.

The seal is well stuffed - Pedro at Coffeeparts down south (site sponsor have a look to the left of screen) will help you with parts - wont be expensive to replace. Showerscreen looks good, but you can soak it in Caffetto that he also sells to thoroughly clean.

Post back with the results.

Cheers

...I would have thought that water would be pouring out from around that seal because it wouldnt seal against the rim of the basket..

Cheers

Nice buy, and as Oz says, welcome to the club!

That perished gasket will def need replacing, once you get another you should have no probs with leaks when backflushing or making coffee.

The reason you are getting steam and a touch of hot water from the hot water spout is because it is blocked. The spouts on these are notorious for blockages, and extremely tough to remove said blockage. You have to take off the spout, and i think you undo the diffuser in the hot water spout using a flat blade screw driver. As i said, tough to remove at times ( one i had was impossible to remove).

Also, once you have taken the spout off the valve, if you open the valve you should notice the hot water coming out more freely - albeit spraying everywhere.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies so far, unfortunately I have stumbled across a couple of hopefully minor issues today, with the boiler having a slight leak from around the pressure relief valve from where I found what looks like the remains of a gasket/seal of some sort where it meets the boiler.

Also today the anti vac valve has started constantly venting a rather large amount of steam, so it looks it needs replacing

just to give an idea of how much steam Im talking about

On the plus side however I did clean out the boiler and managed to adjust the pressure to a more reasonable level (0.9-1.1bar).

The boiler was nearly clean as compared to some of the others on here, but according to the previous owner it is only about 2.5 years old.

Thanks for the help so far, Rob

Chelbe

The Boemas are not really a bad machine, many will state that they lack the refinements of the dearer machines, but you certainly do get what you pay for.

We still have our twin-group Boemea that we use in our BBQ area and the coffee extractions that are produced are quite acceptable (yet I still prefer to use our Veneziano A1).

When we first got our machine there was lot of work that we needed to do on it, but Boema were really quite supportive and there was always plenty of advice.

By working on your Boema and restoring it back to its former glory, you will in fact gain a greater understanding and appreciation of how these machines work.

My only advice to you would be is to have a readily available supply of Group seals and screens and keep the unit as basic as you can, the more gadgets you have the greater chance of exposing yourself to potential problems.

Bon appťtit

FB

DONT USE

hi chelbe

suggest buying the original seals from boema
    ones from cof parts are over sized

by the looks of the pics the machine hasnt been well serviced,
    the Av, pressure safety, level probe and group nut all look to have been leaking for a while. not that any of it is hard to fix

would recomend when you get the chance to put a full set of seals through the machine. talk to boema and they will send out same or next day

graham

Quote Originally Posted by short_black_fella link=1210425989/0#3 date=1210488114
    Nice buy, and as Oz says, welcome to the club!

The reason you are getting steam and a touch of hot water from the hot water spout is because it is blocked. *The spouts on these are notorious for blockages, and extremely tough to remove said blockage. *You have to take off the spout, and i think you undo the diffuser in the hot water spout using a flat blade screw driver. *As i said, tough to remove at times ( one i had was impossible to remove).

Also, once you have taken the spout off the valve, if you open the valve you should notice the hot water coming out more freely - albeit spraying everywhere.

Good luck.
    Thanks mate, I took the spout off and undid the diffuser it all looked fine, I gave it a clean anyway and once it went back in it was much better. I think it just wanted some attention, and was sick of coming third to its more interesting mates the steam wand and group who normally take the spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1210425989/0#6 date=1210753557
    hi chelbe

suggest buying the original seals from boema
    ones from cof parts are over sized

would recomend when you get the chance to put a full set of seals through the machine. talk to boema and they will send out same or next day

graham
    Already done, received anti-vac valve, and a set of seals for the machine today, all on and the machine is ready to come inside.

Pulled a couple of shots in the garage and Im currently struggling with getting the dosing and grind correct after coming from my little sunbeam, next on the list is a grinder more capable of matching the boema than my sunbeam em480

Rob.