Thread: my la pavoni pub

my la pavoni pub

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have a la pavoni pub that I bought a few months ago. It needs a bit of work, and after having trouble finding much information on my model on the net, I thought it would be good to put up a bit of information as I go through fixing it.

Here is a photo of a similar machine (silly me didnt take any photos of the outside before pulling apart!). Mine is just like it = but not quite as shiny!

I wasnt sure of the year, but my pressure gauge was badged as 93. does this sound right? I thought it may be older.

Damian.

Re: my la pavoni pub

Here is a photo inside. It has a 4 litre boiler, external rotary pump, volumetric. It has a funny little board where you flick multiple switches to adjust the dose volumes!

I would say at first glance I was very pleased with this machine. It all looks really good quality. the fittings are nice. sirai pstat, flowmeter all good.

I wasnt sure exactly what the fitting coming out of the top of the group was, but after lloking a bit more realised it is a pressure valve.

Also, I thought it was weird that the outlet from the three way valve actually goes uphill - I would have thought this would mean I would always have dribbly pucks?

I should give some background to this. I bought it off ebay unseen - but assured excellent condition, but unused for a while. The price was too cheap not to buy!!! Getting it home, I first noticed the power switch was wired out, and the button internals were aged and crumbled. No problem, I am sure I can buy another switch. You could also see that several joints were weeping and scaled up on the outside. then I plugged it in feeling very nervous to see what worked. I filled it up manually (button on front under drip tray). Then switched it on. I was so pleased when it heated! Then I started getting water pouring out the boiler vacuum valve on top of the water level gauge. This was a good stream happening! I always planning to pull the machine completely apart, so I decided to deal with this later. I then tried the group, and nothing. I was getting 4 bar, and 9 at pumping but not a dribble. I figured there must be a blockage, and it was in the three way valve, which was completely jammed full of gunk. After putting htis back on, I was very pleased to test out and see the volumetric dosing working perfect.

so all in all, at this stage I am very pleased with the machine. All the important bits work, and it looks like really good quality. Now it just needs a really good clean out as I really dont like the idea of drinking from a quite old machine that could be really yuck inside.

So then it got pulled apart. here is the boiler. It has a screw threaded heating element, which is the biggest access hole to the boiler (about 4 or 5 cm). I imagine this will make my clean up a bit tricky, but will manage!

I was a bit worried about the nickel plating on this boiler. I wasnt sure if it would still be in good condition on an older machine. This was one point that I was really concerned about before buying the machine - as I would not use it if the plating was flaking. On inspection, the boiler is plated inside and out (like on the newer models as you see from a search of the net). I did see some stuff in teh boiler that I thought could be flaking, but no, it was just scale that had come loose. I was actually able to wipe the inside of the boiler with my finger, and the scale just wiped away (see pic below) to show nice shiny nickel plating in perfect condition. Now I was happy, knowing the condition of the machine all over was excellent. it was interesting that the scale did not stick. When I cleaned my rancilio boiler out the scale was seriously stuck and would only come off with many days in acid. Maybe an advantage of nickel plating?

Here is the group. You can see that someone has been trying to undo the slotted dispersion screen unsucessfully.

I am impressed with the steam and hot water valves. They have a funny feel when you first get to them. Before I turned that machine onfor the first time, I actually thought they were both open due to the loose feeling, but they were actually shut. After pulling them apart, it is clear why. Instead of the gasket (or seal or whatever you call it) being on the knob side of teh valve, the knob pushes a rod which in turn pushes the gasket away from the seat. (Im sure that didnt make sense, but oh well!).

The flowmeter is an LED version. It is perfect condition with a bit of a green colour at the moment.

Whoever worked on this machine seemed to love loctite!!! the flowmeter and surrounds had what seemed to be a very strong loctite all over them. It took me a fair while to get it all apart, and my hands took a few days to recover from spanner imprints! I hope I never see any of this stuff again.

Here is the reason for my leaking boiler vacuum valve. The bottom inlet to the water level gauge was completely clogged. Meaning I manually overfilled the boiler as the little red ball in the gauge was not going up until the water was pouring into the gauge from the top inlet. As the valve is at the top of the gauge, the water then poured straight out.

Here is the water inlet. again, pushing the knob presses a rod that releases the gasket, and the water flows. Here the knob is adjustable, but I am not really sure why you adjust it - I suppose depending if you want to fill the boiler quick or slow???

The top right on the main body is the water inlet. Teh bottom left is manual boiler fill. then there is 3 other outlets. what are they? pressure gauge, auto boiler refill, hx supply.

Here is my auto refill solenoid. It has a filter at the inlet. I much prefer these solenoids where the body screws in as one, rather than the 4 screws and gasket on the rancilio. they seem a better long lasting design.

my sight glass, with vacuum valve on top and ball covered in yuck (you can just see some red where I scraped it off!).

And here are my portafilters needing some attention (rechroming or maybe buy some new). All of what looks like coffee grinds were inside the handle. It isnt coffee, it is a corroded washer. It sounded a bit like a maracca!

my three way valve. No problems here after a quick clean. But still needs a very good clean before reassembly.

and here is the opv, which comes out the top of the group. This part sits down a length of copper pipe, and then after the opv goes to the drip tray.

Thats an awful lot of pieces--I sure hope youre having fun doing it, cause watching you do it is fun!
    Greg

Looks like fun Damian.

It could be in way worse shape.

yeah it is kind of fun pulling apart - its the cleaning part Im sure I will find a bit tedious.

No, it is in pretty good condition I think. One of the areas where it showed most age was all the gaskets and seals. all the gaskets on the boiler (which is had a fair few, instead of washers at all the fittings) were completely crumbled and fallen off, and I think the only thing holding the fittings in place was the scale. All of the seals around steam/hot taps and sight glass were also very dry.

Next up I will have to get going on the paintwork I think.

Looks & sounds like a cool machine, Damian. Enjoying having an optic at all of the pics, thanks for putting them up. :)

Should come up a beauty!

Cheers......................Sean

Hi Sean,

Glad you are enjoying the pics! I will keep them coming when I come across anything interesting!

I got my delivery from coffeeparts today. Lots of bags with lots of bits! I have to say, I think their service is great how they have all the bits for all the different machines, with all the blowup pics of parts. It really surprised me that I can still buy every single little washer etc that I need for this machine. Thanks coffeeparts.

Damian.

Damian, gee you are really giving that thing an overhaul arent you? You will have an awesome machine when shes finished.

great work

Ian aka
    Javanation

Heres a pic of my San Marino I also recently overhauled although not to the same extent your going to..

Hi Ian,

Thanks, yeah Im pretty excited about it. Still not sure what I am going to do with 2 coffee machines though!

That is a really nice looking machine you have there - looks in great condition. I havent seen one of them before.

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1214012854/20#22 date=1214466865
    Hi Ian,

Thanks, yeah Im pretty excited about it. *Still not sure what I am going to do with 2 coffee machines though! *

That is a really nice looking machine you have there - looks in great condition. *I havent seen one of them before.

Damian
    Damian,
    there is always the Hardware for Sale section here for your spare machine. You may even recoup some of the money spent bringing this new one back to life.

Thanks, re:my machine. Its a "San Marino Compact" about 18months old. I havent been able to find anything online about this particular model although it just needed a new vibrapump and a few of the gauze filters cleaned out and a good descale of the boiler etc. Coffeeparts is a godsend for all those bits... Yes, it polished up pretty decent and makes a damn fine espresso. Im still learning all about tweaking the grind tamping and so forth but I tell you, its a lot of fun mucking around with all this hardware...

have fun

Ian aka
    Javanation

yeah it is fun. I have just managed to get my rancilio under control I think - the temp likes to run hot at the group - I suppose that is what you get froma commercial machine? I ahve to say I am loving the coffes from this machine now that every second coffee is not coming out burnt! It makes me think temp is probably one of the main reasons I can never get a nice coffee around me in the city - even if I get anything else right, my coffee can easily go from excellent to undrinkable if I dont flush right.

Ive been informed this machine is a 70s/80s model. I think I would almost call it antique!

Other than that, I think I will head over to a recommended spraypainter today and see how expensive it is to get it professionally resprayed. My steam and hot water valves also made it to some citric acid. The hot water tap was sparkling clean after about 3 hours. The steam still has lots of scale 9hrs in.

quoted $300 for a respray. more expensive than I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1214012854/20#26 date=1214992463
    quoted $300 for a respray. more expensive than I would have thought.
    Wow! That sounds a bit exy... :o

I had the chassis and main cover of my Bezz bead-blasted and powder-coated by a local operator (who did a top job by the way) and it only cost me about $100. Might have to shop around a bit Damian, if possible,

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1214012854/20#26 date=1214992463
    quoted $300 for a respray. *more expensive than I would have thought.
    Pricey indeed. for that sort of money I would have thought you could have it chrome dipped..

shop around...

Well after a long break it is time to get going on this machine again! Hopefully I will have it done in the next few weeks all going well.

I went and checked out local powdercoaters, $80 for sandblasting, rustproofing, and powdercoating base and a panel- Hopefully he does a good job. And hopefully my colour choice isnt too bad!!!

I was having a look at the group today, and there is a lot more to it than the rancilio. It bolts onto the frame, and the two holes at the back are the thermosyphen. The water then flows from there up to the higher hole. In here sits a metal filter. After the filter the OPV connects here, and also it goes through a gicleur down and out to the three way valve. The three way then leads to the bigger hole (shown furthest right in pic). These 2 holes on the right are just closed off with bolts. The bigger hole is a chamber within the group about 1.5cm by 3.5cm. This chamber then leads to the dispersion/shower screen.

So I imagine when you run the machine, water slowly will flow through the gicleur and gradually fill the large chamber. And only once this is full will I see any water come out the group. Is this chamber what you would call pre-infusion chamber? I imagine it will also play a big part in temperature stability?

I have included a few photos.
    Damian.

chamber. The hole on the left does nothing.

Getting there!

slow progress!

The boiler was actually a lot more of a pain to clean than I had hoped. Initially when I pulled it apart, the scale seemed to wipe away. After several months without touching it, it no longer wiped away!!! I think that probably the test heatup may have cracked the scale apart a little, making it temporarily removeable. Anyway, i got there, and after inspection with a small mirror and light there is not a speck left in the boiler or HX. It all came off using citric acid, and I encouraged the last bits along with a toothbrush. It was a bit tricky with a small access hole trying to inspect/clean around the hx joins where the last remains of scale seemed to sit. The hx didnt actually have scale inside, oonly outside.

Im starting to really want a coffee from this machine!

I have been trying to understand teh pre-infusion on my machine a bit more. I have included a pic of the group with illistration of important bits.

Here is wht I think: but I could be wrong!

The water flows from the HX into a gicleur. From here it goes one way to the OPV, and the other to the 3 way valve. reentering from the 3 way, it enters the pre-infusion chamber at quite a low point in the chamber. It also exits the pre-infusion chamber at quite a low point.

As the water gradually enters via the gicleur, the pre-infusion chamber will form an air pocket. I estimate around a 10 cm3 air pocket. Once the air pocket is formed, the water has to go out the puck, or compress the air pocket. As the puck will not let much through til higher pressures, the air pocket will gredually compress (the ramp) based on the water flow (size of the gicleur). I gather the pressure rise will result in the air pocket being compressed to about 1 cm3 at 130psi. How long this process takes, I will have to see when I have it back together.

Pretty cool I think! Unless of course I have completely misunderstood what it does!!

Damian.