Thread: Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Elegance?

Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Elegance?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello ppls, My Water pressure gauge tells me that I am running 7 bars of pressure at the group head. I want to increase somewhere in between 8 and 9 bars. I know its probably not the best to fiddle too much with the pressure, but Id like the freedom to know how to do it. Any ideas?

Im happy to be directed elsewhere if there is already a post on this issue.

Also, does anyone know what causes a machine to drop or increase in pressure at the group head? Im thinking faulty solenoids could be one reason. *I just want to make sure I have no nasty machine habits that are causing this problem.

Cheers

Tim

Re: Problem with G/head Pressure on Expobar Elegan

Hi, why not fiddle with teh pressure I think - you want it right. If youbve a procon pump like me there is a screw on the pump. clockwise for more pressure, anticlockwise for less. You need to be careful that your pressure is not low due to a loose overpressure valve or else any adjustment you make to the pump will make no difference at all. Make sure you unplyug your machine before doing anything to it.

I dont understand what your pressure problem is. can you describe it abit more? it should show mains pressure when idle (assuming your not talking about a portafilter gauge), and then go to about 9 (or 7 in your case) when pumping. Then back to mains pressure after the shot. I wouldnt think there would be any issues with a solenoid.

If you wanted to check anything, probably the first thing I would do is tighten the opv and see what that does. If your pressure geos up then you opv was too loose (a spring could have worn out a bit). If the pressure stays the same, return the opv to where it started and then you could start thinking about adjusting the pump assuming there are no other problems.

Hope that helped some!

Damian.

tjriffboy,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

The Expobar has a rotary pump as far as Im aware.... and the pressure regulator on these adjusts the difference between the mains supply pressure and the output of the pump....

So if the mains pressure is at 5.5Bar (not uncommon) and the pressure regulator is set to deliver 9 Bar then if the mains pressure falls to 4 Bar (other taps on in the house.... lots of people watering their lawns in your street etc) the pressure to the group will also fall by 1.5 Bar = 7.5 Bar.

This happens with all rotary pump machines. This is overcome by fitting a pressure regulator (350kpa which equals about 3.5Bar) to the water supply line..... so - unless the mains pressure drops below 3.5 Bar - the coffee machine will always see 3.5 Bar.... readjust the pressure regulator to deliver 9 Bar with this supply.....

And problem solved!!! ;)

yep pressure regulator sounds like a good idea. I knew I should have left this problem to someone who knows what they are talking about JavaB - pity you didnt login 20 mins earlier and save me confusing someone!

Thank you Damien and Java for your valuable information. Ill let you know when Im done fiddling... now to find the time to get it done.

Thanks again..