Thread: Boiler not cutting out???

Boiler not cutting out???

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a La Cimbali M27 and it was working fine on the weekend. I have turned it on tonight when I got home from work and it is boiling up and then not stopping (as if the thermostat is not cutting it out). It will then keep boiling and reach about 1.5 or 1.6 bar before the safety valve on top of the boiler releases an explosion of steam. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be. I am thinking Thermostat and have looked on www.coffeeparts.com and a new one is $175. I am comfortable it replacing it, but do not want to spend $175 if i should be looking at other things. Am I better off taking it somewhere to be repaired, if so, I am in Adelaide, any suggestions of recommended repairers?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Re: Boiler not cutting out???

Could it be the pressurestat rubber getting really stiff with age...if so the rubber is cheap. Does the pressurestat click in at the right pressure at the bottom of the cycle...I just guessing here. Someone like JavaB etc might reply if they see this.

Cheers

It seems to not care about pressure and just keeps boiling. It will normally get to a certain temp and stop until it needs to heat a little more, this is not happening as soon as it is turned on it starts boiling and does not stop until you turn the power off on the front.

Snoop....

Two possible causes

1. the pressurestat has failed (a Sirai unit)..... can you hear it clicking on/off as the pressure increases to about 1.1 Bar?

2. the elements can fail..... and initially develop leakage to earth caused by corrosion which eats through the copper outer.... The pressurestat is in the neutral leg (dont ask me why :o :o)..... and so the element (which eventually shorts to the copper outer) continues to heat.... regardless of pressurestat operation.

The first can be checked by listening for a loud click.... the second will require you to check the heater elements to earth with a multimeter (they should all be open circuit on the highest ohms range)..... with the power off of course ::) ::) and the leads disconnected!!

Id bet on the second if the unit is of unknown age.... and has had hard water in the boiler. It starts as a pin hole..... letting water in when the unit is turned off and cools down.... (if you have and earth leakage breaker it will trip at the next switch on---) this water dissolves the "clay" which insulates the inner spiral element from the outer copper case..... the element touches the case.... and if you dont have an earth leakage breaker power flows from active through the element to earth and boils the water!!!

Dont remember a loud click, but will fire it up again and listen at about 1.1 bar.

Cheers for your help.

I will see how I go. If it is to hard I think it is in to the rapairers :(

No big click at all and it climbed to 1.4 bar before I turned it off. I have a hobby temp reader and it showed about 90 degrees at that point. Think it is off to someone that has a multimeter :(

Well if you cant hear the Sirai clicking (and it is pretty obvious - I can hear it in the next room)..... the odds are that it is stuck on..... as ozscott said above the diaphragms can fail.... a replacement kit is available from CoffeeParts.... but you will need to do a bit of disassembly to replace it.

If the element had failed you would hear the Sirai click off.... but the unit would continue to heat.

And by the way, at 1.1 Bar the temperature in the boiler is about 120C and at 1.4Bar it is 126C (so your meter is reading a tad low!!!)

You all have been awesome help. I think I will give it a shot and see how we go.

Cheers

Ben

DONT USE

Could it be the pressurestat rubber getting really stiff with age...if so the rubber is cheap.
    replace the pressurstat. dont stuff around
    if the pressure stat requires a new diaphram then the contacts will be burnt and pitted, mechanisms dont work as effecient

graham

Took it to get it looked at and as per normal, the machine worked a treat when put on the bench. GRRRRR

The tech has cleaned all the pipes leading to the pressurstat and silicon sprayed the pressurstat (not a tech so I assume this is right) :)

Has tested for the past 3 days and says all seems good.

Fingers Crossed