Thread: Equipments needed for a mobile coffee van

Equipments needed for a mobile coffee van

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone!

* * * Ive just signed on this site yesterday, so please forgive me if I misplaced this topic. I hope this the right section *:)... Anyway, as I saw it till now, this site is a good point to start gathering some info, considering that most you have a coffee related business.
    * * * The idea is that I want to start a mobile coffee business, here in Romania, Europe. Probably it will be based on a converted coffee van or truck and I dont know what kind/type of equipment have to be installed in the back of the van/truck, in order to make the conversion. Any information that you can offer me would much appreciated. Please excuse my poor knowledge of English. *
    Thank you very much!

Raftman

Re: Equipments needed for a mobile coffee van

Welcome to coffesnobs Raftman. In order for someone to help you let us know what sort of equipment is available in Romania and what the power ratings are for equipment there .
    My guess is you will need plenty of money to set a coffee van up.

Hello martybean!
    Thank you for your fast answer!

*Regarding the equipments, there are Romanian companies that can provide coffee related items and others related to this business (the entire range – espresso machines, espresso/coffee grinders, coffee brewing equipment & espresso machine parts, power generators, etc).
    *About power ratings, in Romania we are using 220 V on wall sockets, if this was your question.
    *I am aware that I will need a lot of money for this business, but I have made a lot of researches in the last 10 -12 months and I’ve decided to do this.
    Thanks again for your answer. I appreciate this.

Raftman

Goodluck Raftman.
    I hope someone here can help you out with the knowledge of what you need to get started.

Thank you martybean!

I understand that you cant help me, but thanks anyway.
    Anyone else can help me, please?

Hi Raftman

Its difficult to help when we may be unsure as to what help you need. It seems you already have a good understanding of rhe necessary equipment and have contacts with people who can instal this in a vehicle.

Apart from that, all I might suggest is that you visit one of your local cafes to see how they operate, what equipment they use, and how you can make this more compact so that it fits in the vehicle.

If you use google and search for mobile coffee van youll be able to see some set-ups that other people use to give you some ideas.

All the best

Have you seen this thread, Raftman? May be of interest.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211811903/13#13

Hi Raftman

Try this link for something a bit closer to your part of the world

Steve

Thanks a lot for your feedback cuppacoffee, GregJW, flynnaus!

Ive visited the links that you sent me and Ive found helpful information there.
    Cuppacoffee - Ive used google to search "mobile coffee van" and Ive found few companies which are dealing with coffe van conversions, but they are located in UK, Australia, NZ or US (where driving is on the left side on the road - right-handed vehicles except US - unlike here in Ro, where we are driving on the right side - left-handed cars). Beside of this, its too expensive to get a car from there. Ive also *found some photos with mobile coffee vans – unfortunately not very detailed; there are no schematics or some drawings…
    Anyway, with the links that you gave me guys and with what Ive learned till now, I made another step toward my goals. I have understood that Ill need (at least) some of the following:

- Espresso machine (2 groups);
    - Coffee grinder;
    - Power generator;
    - Alternator;
    - LPG tank?
    - Back-up battery maybe?
    - Fresh water tank;
    - Wastewater tank;
    - A cooling device (a small freezer with glass display - for refreshment drinks);
    - Electric blender for fresh fruit juice;
    - Stainless steel sink;
    - Pastry cabinet with glass display (for some pastries maybe)?
    - Knockout money draw;
    - Paper cup dispenser;
    The entire interior I’m thinking to be covered in stainless steel, for an easy maintenance.

For the moment thats all I know. If there is any other equipment needed for a mobile coffee van business, please let me know.

Another question: which way you think it’s best? A coffee van where you can stand inside and serve, or the one where you just simply open the back (or side) doors and serve? I don’t know if in Australia it’s snowing in the winter (as far as I know it isn’t *:), or maybe just a little bit), but in Romania, the winters are very cold and often it’s snowing a lot, the autumns are rainy and quite cold. For this reason, I’m thinking that the best choice is the “stand inside” option. Of course, there is also the comfort that comes along with the “stand inside” option – at least, here in Ro. *Although, (as I’ve seen in one of the links that GregJW sent me), there is the idea to stand at the same level as the customer, so he/she can se see what you are doing and feel some connection with you *:) (from “commercial psychologically reasons”).

Thanks again

Raftman