Thread: Its a hard life...

Its a hard life...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    ... when an academic staff member says they want a 2-group setup for our tea room and yours truly gets the job of going shopping! 8-)

As it happens it came about because said staff member was in the faculty inhabited by fellow CSers hazbean and kjm and saw their Wega Atlas. Budget is indeterminate at the moment depending on how much the rest of the academics are prepared to chip in from their consulting funds but its likely to be $3k-$5k for the whole package (including grinder). Will be catering for one-off drinks but perhaps up to two dozen at a time (a few hundred users of the facility but its unlikely theyre all going to descend at the same moment).

Any suggestions on machine and grinder for the purpose? Im thinking a grinder like the Mini E so the doser doesnt get left full of stale coffee. While there are plenty of second-hand bargains on evilbay I think getting new stuff with local support is fairly important so theres less chance of failure, and quick turnaround if there is.

This is what I call loving my job! *;D

Greg

Re: Its a hard life...

Greg my choice

Grinder:- Macap M4D

From Barazi Bezzera

Machine :- Choice of 2

Bezzera Ellisse 2 Group
    http://barazi.com.au/content/view/46/144/

Bezzera Galatea 2 Group
    http://barazi.com.au/content/view/110/208/

KK

TC

Nice problem to have, Greg!

FWIW, I reckon the Mazzer or even a K3T as both are harder for sticky fingers to fiddle with than the M4D. If the $$$ are there, the mazzer will be quicker...

As for machine, with your budget, you will be looking for a good 2nd hand or risking it with the bay of evil, me thinks...

Enjoy ;)

Chris

Spending other peoples money what fun upgraditis without the personal $$ :) I quite like the Wega for looks from our newest sponsor Genovese.

Greg
    I visited Barazi this week and if you are looking for a good used machine they have this available its worth a phone call

The Original Bezzera Eagle
    This will get those teachers flying high (any legal eagles ::))

http://barazi.com.au/content/view/45/130/

KK

Greg,

if you have a mo tomorrow and I havent called you (because I might forget sorry) please do give me a call (or send me a reminder email).

Kind regards,
    Attilio

Thanks for the tips guys. I called a local company yesterday and after reading KKs (unbiased ;D) suggestions I checked Barazis site and left a message but they havent gotten back to me yet. Just missed Attilio so hopefully well catch up later. Will keep you posted with what we decide, otherwise keep em tips coming!

Hey Greg,

Wouldnt the most pressing consideration be to go with whatever machine can be supplied and serviced locally?

For your budget, maybe you should look at getting an awesome plumbed in single group machine and probably one with volumetrics for the non-snobs.

Mazzer mini E sounds like the way to go; simple to operate, no possibility of someone grinding a whole dosers worth of coffee, relatively clean and, as Chris said, less possibility of it being adjusted. *You might be able to afford a major-E, not sure what theyre going for, which would grind a helluva lot faster.

As for tampers, maybe an Espro to eliminate variables further ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Hey Luca,

Yeah local support is fairly important, as stated in the OP. I understand Barazi and Attilio, while based interstate, have local servicing arrangements with Adelaide companies which is why Im looking at those. Theyre really set on a 2 group, which I guess will provide a bit more throughput so people can work both sides of it, but most of the time a single group would be fine Im sure.

A lot will depend on the budget and once thats settled this will all be a lot easier, but whatever it comes to I dont think therell quite be enough in the budget for an Espro - so we might have to settle for something better. :o ;D

Greg

Greg,
    Itd be worth talking to Mark Barun at The Coffee Barun (also a site sponsor).
    Rio Coffee are also good and do a fair bit at this level.
    Cheers,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1223532846/0#4 date=1223551787
    Greg
    I visited Barazi this week and if you are looking for a good used machine they have this available its worth a phone call

The Original Bezzera Eagle
    This will get those teachers flying high (any legal eagles *::))

http://barazi.com.au/content/view/45/130/

KK
    Ive worked on a similar machine to this and even doing 1 cup at a time, the drip trays are virtually useless (read water everywhere). In an office type environment i would be more inclined to pick something that doesnt require extra cleaning.

Thanks for the suggestions DavidR. I did consider Coffee Barun but from the trips Ive done out there their equipment is domestic 1 group stuff. The same goes for some other sponsors I initially considered. I have also been in contact with Rio as they were the mob the other school got their machine from.

JamesKilby: Yeah they look fancy but I dont think Ill be going with either of those flashy looking things. Apart from being out of our budget, I imagine theyd be a nightmare to work on.

Anyway have gotten several leads now thanks to a few sponsors and a few PMs from members with useful links so Ill mournfully slave away at my desk today deciding which toy to buy. As I said, a hard life! ;D

Greg

Ive worked on a similar machine to this and even doing 1 cup at a time, the drip trays are virtually useless (read water everywhere). In an office type environment i would be more inclined to pick something that doesnt require extra cleaning
    Easy to fix install a drain hose *;)

I am sure most cafes would do this to prevent accidents
    The drain hose can be directed to a sink or drum if sink is not available
    KK