Thread: Can I dampen the brew infusion in a Faema E98 A1?

Can I dampen the brew infusion in a Faema E98 A1?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Machine: Faema E98 Compact Automatic Single Group, manufactured 2001. *It has a Cimabli group - actually very similar overall to the Cimbali Junior (automatic) D1

Problem: Pours/shots have progressively worsened - pouring too fast.

Ive think Ive narrowed down to the problem to short infusion. *The coffee always begins to pour out of the portafilter basket almost as soon as I press the brew/dispenser button.

I compared it to Junior S1 (manual/tanked with vibe pump). *It has the same group. Using the same coffee / grind. *The junior consistently as a nice long infusion delay before the coffee begins to pour through basket.

For what its worth I measured the brew pressure ramp up time.
    Using a water filled pressure portafilter:

Junior S1: 3.0sec to 8bar
    Faema E98: 1.7sec to 9bar

Of course this would be different to a basket filled with tamped coffee - but maybe its an indicator.

Any how I dropped the brew pressure on the Faema (to 7bar) - but it still pours too fast, or perhaps should I say too soon. *In fact I have to grind too fine (get a very acidic coffee) to get a reasonable shot time.

The Faema uses a rotary pump. *If the problem is the infusion / ramp up, is there a way to adjust or fix it?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can I dampen the brew infusion in a Faema E98

Hi, I dont know anything about the machine, but I can tell you my rancilio has virtually no ramp up/preinfusion at all. I have it set around 9 bar, and all is good. If my gorup is not clean enough, it can squirt water at the puck which isnt good, and could cause something similar to you describe.

Damian

Is it plumbed in? You may like to do a search of the Home Barista forum and on the alt.coffee newsgroup for some postings from Ken Fox. He has 2 Cimbali Juniors, one is a pourover with vibe pump and the other is a plumbed-in rotary. He has added preinfusion to his rotary by adding an electronic delay on the pump. ie. when starting the shot the 3-way valve first opens allowing the mains pressure on to the puck, then after a delay of 3sec or so the pump starts. This seems to have made his machine more forgiving of dosing, tamping etc. His vibe pump machine performed better than his rotary in this regard as its pressure ramp-up is more gradual. Anyway, check out his postings for more detail.

For what its worth, my Faema E98 (with vibe pump) takes about 6sec before coffee comes out the spouts.

regards,
    Bill

Hi damian1, *I think I can safely rule out group/tamping issues. *Fortunately I could compare the Faema with the Junior side-by-side using the same portafilter, coffee and grinder/grind. Also I thoroughly cleaned both machines before my tests.

Hi Bill, 6 secs is pretty much what I get with the Jnr (vibe pump) using a bottomless portafilter, its barley a coupe of secs on the Faema rotary, and worth mentioning the tamping/preparation required is much more precise.

I had no problem googling for the postings by Ken Fox - its exactly what I needed to know/confirm. *For anyone with a similar class of machine, definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for your help,
    yoma

PS: When I first got the Faema (with rotary) its settings seemed a little dull - thermostat / brew pressure. *Maybe it was some kind of work around by the folk that set it up. *I think as I pushed it up over the last couple of years it became less forgiving.

Hmmm...

Sounds to me that you need specific professional advice to sort out these issues "yoma", especially for a machine in a commercial situation :-?,

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1226453281/0#4 date=1226480403
    Sounds to me that you need specific professional advice to sort out these issues "yoma", especially for a machine in a commercial situation :-?
    Initially I discussed this with a Cimbali service technician. *I didnt mention it in my initial posting for the sake of brevity. *Anyhow the technician confirmed theres no simple way to control pre infusion characteristics in this machine. *Also I sent him follow up links of what I found above.

Anyhow another interesting fact I discovered in my research, is higher brew temperature (and pressure) have the somewhat counter-intuitive effect of reducing the brew flow.

I was running the machine a little hotter than standard and at 10bar brew (I normally up the pstat for winter). *These settings were derived from taste alone. *I recently trimmed it down. *In this case a little more than I usually do - right back to factory standard. *And for no good reason I set the brew pressure back to a standard 9bar. * This would explain the recently change in pour.

Im not familiar with that specific machine, but do you know if the machine uses a gicleur in the brew line? If so the technician should be able to change it to a smaller one if its available and once they get reasonably small they should affect the ramp up time to something more like what youre after