Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By LeroyC

Thread: The Little Guy Espresso Maker

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5

    The Little Guy Espresso Maker

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting with this unit? Currently have a friend whom is trying to calibrate their Precision grinder to get the best possible extraction however they haven't had much luck with hitting the sweet spot.

    Any tips, photos of grind size or other recommendations for achieving the best possible extraction with the machine would be greatly appreciated. Have tried using the induction top on both the automatic preset as well as manual mode, though the extraction is slightly quicker the results still have been okay but not as desired.

    Hopefully someone can get him going in the right direction!

    Kind regards,

  2. #2
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,410
    I have that combo, but usually save the precision grinder for filter brew duties. Iíll have a go making coffee with my The Little Guy and this grinder later this week and let you know how I go.
    Andy, Dimal and 338 like this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    I have that combo, but usually save the precision grinder for filter brew duties. Iíll have a go making coffee with my The Little Guy and this grinder later this week and let you know how I go.
    Hi Leroy,

    Thank you so much for your help with this, I really appreciate it! To confirm, they are using a Precision GS2 Espresso grinder which I should have clarified.

    Regardless, i'll wait to hear back - Thank you again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by brewme View Post
    Hi Leroy,

    Thank you so much for your help with this, I really appreciate it! To confirm, they are using a Precision GS2 Espresso grinder which I should have clarified.

    Regardless, i'll wait to hear back - Thank you again!
    Ah right, I thought you meant a Precision Handgrinder. I donít have a GS2, but I do have a flat burr espresso grinder (Vario) so might still be able to help. What exactly is the problem theyíre having? Iíve generally found that you can get good results on The Little Guy using just about any grinder. Hereís my coffee this morning made using my Precision Handgrinder-


    Andy and Dimal like this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Ah right, I thought you meant a Precision Handgrinder. I donít have a GS2, but I do have a flat burr espresso grinder (Vario) so might still be able to help. What exactly is the problem theyíre having? Iíve generally found that you can get good results on The Little Guy using just about any grinder. Hereís my coffee this morning made using my Precision Handgrinder-
    Hi Leroy,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to send this through! Despite my help with trying to go through the correct grind size with him he is concerned as he can't seem to achieve a good extraction. We've tried trouble shooting to the best of our ability however obviously the nature of a stovetop unit such as the Little Guy/ Otto it does need to cool down which sees a good 20-30 minute wait after each brew.

    It would be greatly appreciated if you had any photos of the grind size used for this brew, had you used the induction top for the Little Guy or an electric/ gas stovetop? How long did the extraction take? How much coffee was used?

    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help out with this one! I really want him to be able to enjoy the unit but it has been a rocky ride so far.

  6. #6
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,410

    The Little Guy Espresso Maker

    Quote Originally Posted by brewme View Post
    Hi Leroy,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to send this through! Despite my help with trying to go through the correct grind size with him he is concerned as he can't seem to achieve a good extraction. We've tried trouble shooting to the best of our ability however obviously the nature of a stovetop unit such as the Little Guy/ Otto it does need to cool down which sees a good 20-30 minute wait after each brew.

    It would be greatly appreciated if you had any photos of the grind size used for this brew, had you used the induction top for the Little Guy or an electric/ gas stovetop? How long did the extraction take? How much coffee was used?

    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help out with this one! I really want him to be able to enjoy the unit but it has been a rocky ride so far.
    Hiya. Sorry this reply has taken so long. Today is my first day off since March 21 so I havenít had a chance to use my The Little Guy until now. I took a few photos along the way this morning so hopefully these tips are helpful.

    I start by filling the boiler/reservoir with cold water. Iíve tried using pre-boiled water to see if it works better or speeds things up, but have found that cold water is best. Make sure itís filled right to the lip without over filling it. Like this-



    Then I put the lid on and turn the element on to about 50% power-



    Next I weigh out my coffee. Most of the time I actually use pre-ground coffee and it works really well. (Itís still high quality coffee that Iíve ground myself at home, I wouldnít trust pre-ground coffee from the supermarket). If Iím grinding fresh then I go for a slightly courser setting than what I usually use in my espresso machine, but not by much. Iím usually just making one coffee for myself so I weigh out about 22-24g. If Iím making two coffees at once I put as much coffee in the filter basket as I can fit, which is usually about 28g depending on the coffee being used. Iíve found The Little Guy doesnít work as well with less than 22g of coffee-



    The two layer tamp that is recommended on The Little Guy website is the method I follow as Iíve found it gives the best results. Probably due to the deep filter baskets. So put about 3/4 of the coffee in then tamp-




    Then put the remaining coffee in and do the same-




    You can fill it almost all the way to the rim. Just make sure that thereís 1-2mm of clearance. Pop the portafilter in and turn the stove up close to maximum. Pop the jug underneath. (I preheat the jug with hot water first)-



    About 6min 30secs after that I saw the first drops of coffee. At this point I turn the element up to maximum. (If I had filled the portafilter then this would probably take longer, but shouldnít be much longer than about 8min). Initially itís just black coffee, but about a minute later you start to see some nice crema-





    The whole extraction took about 4min. I take the jug away as soon as the drips slow and before thereís any spluttering. Make sure you pop another cup or container under there to catch any remaining drips. As you can see I ended up with nearly 60g of Ďespressoí, so a ratio of over 2.5:1 and this would be enough to make two small milk coffees depending on how strong people like it-



    The machine reaches steam pressure quite quickly and will have heaps of power if youíve got the extraction right. Steam performance relies on back pressure so if youíve ground too course and the extraction has been too fast then you might lack a bit of steam power. I usually have plenty and can even turn the element off before Iíve finished steaming. I didnít get any photos of this part as itís not possible to hold the milk jug and take a photo at the same time. Just make sure you purge the steam wand before starting to steam the milk. All going well youíll end up with a delicious coffee-



    Hope this is at least a little helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by LeroyC; 3 Days Ago at 12:58 PM.
    Dimal and herbie like this.

  7. #7
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,584
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Terrific tutorial Leroy...

    I enjoyed going through it and we don't even own a Little Guy.

    Mal.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •