Thread: Machine choice?

Machine choice?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys newbie here! Now Im no coffee connoisseur but do enjoy a good cup and thought i would take the next step and start making it myself. I have come to the choice of two machines which should be more than capable for my needs well i think so anyway, and have never used one before either. They are the Nemox Dell Opera and the Lelit Combi, both these machines seem very similar in comparison but not sure about the internals and service and repair. Im looking at these because of the combined grinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Machine choice?

I would strongly suggest separate grinder rather than an integrated one.

Hi Airsk

I have had a LeLit combi for over a year and am very happy with it. The inbuilt grinder grinds well and leaves no residue. The coffee shot produced is great, but like all machines, the operator dictates the final results. Steaming milk is excellent, producing great microfoam. The machine looks good, is clean to operate, easy to clean and takes up minimal bench space. *

As far as having the grinder built in, I only put as many beans in the grinder as needed. I dont leave beans in the hopper. The only possible downside is if either the grinder or coffee machine breaks down you loose the use of both.

The LeLit is similar to a Silvia internally and has very little to go wrong. The grinder is a Nemox Lux and works well. The importer (not a CS sponsor) carries a full range of spares and is very easy to talk to. I have had no problems at all. I have changed the group gasket as part of regular maintenance.

I would recommend the LeLit as a good first machine

SunnyCoaster

After owing one combo stereo, Ive learned that components never die together. So if something goes wrong with one part, you end up without both if it needs repairs - or worse (I now have a stereo where the CD player doesnt work and is not repairable). Im sure the build quality on the LeLit is superior to RCA, but the principle is the same.

Anyone else got any feedback?

I think they are a nicely made machine and lots of people have been very satisfied with the performance provided. If you are even slightly mechanically minded, you will be able to undertake 95% of all maintenance and repair tasks that you are likely to encounter, so dont worry too much about that side of things.

It is a fair point made by "peteru" above.... A lot of people will recommend that discrete components are the way to go for a couple of reasons, one of which has already been mentioned. The other reason is that because coffee is best stored in a cool, dark and dry location the concept of storing them in the bean hopper of a grinder located right beside a boiler and steam pipework, etc seems to be counter to the longevity of the beans. Easily overcome though, just get into the habit of loading the hopper with just enough beans required for immediate use and store the rest in their 1-Way Valve bag in a cool, dark and dry spot somewhere.

One of our site sponsors, Greg Pullman, used one of these types of combos for many years and he has nothing but praise for the service that this unit gave him. Best thing is, if at all possible, try to have a unit demonstrated by someone who knows their stuff and can allow you to sample some of the coffee produced. There is at least one of our site sponsors who sells this style of machine, so something may be able to be worked out.

All the best, :)
    Mal.

Airsk,

My experience mirrors that of SunnyCoaster. I only sold it because I needed a machine with 58mm filter baskets. It was a great machine to get started with, very similar specs on paper to the Silvia although not of the same build quality / materials, but definitely an excellent value machine. In the four years I owned it it never broke - only had to do routine maintenance. Sensibly used it should last as long as any other well-made machine. www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/imat/ has some more info about working with these machines which may or may not be of use.

Greg

Hi Airsk,

I have used numerous cheaper machines (and worn them all out) and grinders too.

I have just bought a Rancilio Silvia and am really happy with it so far (only had it a week) but you can tell by the build quality that its going to last.

As I look back now in hindsight, I wish I had just bought a proper machine like this 1st up. I would have saved money in the long run.

I dont think grinders will last as long as the espresso machine so you may end up with just the espresso machine and having to buy a grinder anyway. As a lot of people point out, the grinder is really important. Id suggest getting them separately then you can buy the best fit for purpose.

Have a look at the thread time to move up to something more serious which led me to purchase the Silvia.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vadie link=1228038330/0#7 date=1228275959
    I dont think grinders will last as long as the espresso machine
    I beg to differ.
    My Macap will outlive me.

All it takes is one lost stone in a bag of beans and you have a grinder crisis on your hands. :(

Quote Originally Posted by peteru link=1228038330/0#9 date=1228287541
    All it takes is one lost stone in a bag of beans and you have a grinder crisis on your hands. :(
    Unlikely.... Most "real" burr-plate grinders will have no trouble dealing with the odd stone or piece of concrete. Small pieces of iron or steel however, are an entirely different matter and is why most commercial grinders use a specifically sited strong magnet in the lower section of the bean hopper.

Anyway, the worst thats likely to happen is that the burrs will take a beating and if damaged, are easily and relatively cheaply replaced...

Mal.

Ive lost my marbles at times but never found any in the hopper.

I am happy to hear that my fears are perhaps unfounded. In the month and a half that I had my conical burr grinder, its been smooth sailing. Heres hopping to another decade or two of the same. :D

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to spend the extra money first time around and get Rancilio Silvia and rocky combo. Now just have to work out where to get it, best through a sponsor i suppose too. Might see if i can do a course when i buy it make sure i do it right as well.

Best place to buy on the South Coast?

South Coast NSW? Well theres Euro at Batemans Bay. Check Site Sponsors over on the left

In the Illawarra?

You mean the Gong? My recommendation would be cuppacoffee at Caringbah/Taren Point as the closest sponsor.

Dennis Wells, the proprietor, is away until Dec 8 but I would ring or send him a PM and book some time with him.

I bought mine from Jetblack at Cremorne.
    They have personally owned silvias so really know how to get the best out of them.
    they were really helpful and provide a 3hr course for just over $100 which includes how to set it up correctly with the right grinder setting, how to make the espresso, froth the milk, and clean and look after the equipment.

cant recommend them highly enough....could be worth the hour drive

Yeah cheers Vadie, checked out there site and seem to have everything i want all in one place so will give them a call on Monday.

Spoke to Jetblack Expresso and have ordered a Silvia and Rocky combo, pick them up on the weekend! Plus doing a Barista course also.