Thread: Zero cost mod for Miss Silvia

KJM

Zero cost mod for Miss Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This one takes all of 5 minutes (tops). *Unfortunately, it doesnt improve the coffee - but might make the old girl live longer!

I noticed that there was always water underneath the stainless drip tray - whenever I look there is water there. *This cant be good - itll rust the black painted iron frame (eventually).

On my machine, the water is 100% caused by the outlet of the solenoid dump valve. *Basically when it dumps the water from the grouphead, it splashes back a bit - this runs down the (black) metal frame and under the drip tray. *My fix was gaffer tape - run a bit around the spout and extend it by about 6mm or so. *It needs to clear the drip tray. *Then I just "pinched" the tape so as to make an angled spout to direct water forward. *Complete cure!

To do: *Disconnect from power. * Remove the two screws on the vertical stainless splash guard above the drip tray. *This panel is removed by sliding/wiggling it to the LEFT as you face the machine (past the group head). *You now have access. * *Use whatever you think is appropriate (or what you have to hand). *You can put power back on, blank the portafilter for flushing and see where the water goes. *Remember to disconnect power again before touching - it is all 240V (or 110V if you are in the US).

Miss Silvia is no longer incontinent. *:P

Anyway, I think most Silvias would be the same as mine, so this probably applies to more machines than KJMs!

Cheers
    /Kevin

Re: Zero cost mod for Miss Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by KJM link=1228610593/0#0 date=1228610593

Anyway, I think most Silvias would be the same as mine, so this probably applies to more machines than KJMs!

Cheers
    /Kevin
    Mine doesnt do it, but great mod for those that do [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Thanks Kevin, always good to hear from you. Mine does the same thing so Ill give it a go!

Greg

Hi guys
    Same problem here. Noticed it every now and then, and particularly after backflushing when the detergent would cause the froth to spray out.
    I got around it by using a short length of surgical rubber hose that was the right size to fit over the end of the nozzle. Length was adjusted to allow the tray to slide out without touching. Now the overflow is directed into the tray.

All the best...
    Fraser

mine drips a bit, but I push my drip tray right back and it catches it, leaving the underneath dry. I wipe underneath after each use though (anal retentive cleaning regime seems to be a good thing on home machines!)