Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUNBEAM em6910 flow issues?

SUNBEAM em6910 flow issues?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi yall!

I have got a sunbeam em6910 espresso machine. And upon going to the free coffee class I now realise there is a difference between the pour speeds in the em6910s at the school and my one. Mine is only about 2 months old and on average has made about 1 cup a day.

I have opened the shower curtain and scrubed it all, flushed the system contiunuosly and descaled however I still cant seem to match the schools EM6910.

The guy at the school said to take the PLASTIC flooring at the bottom of the handle out as its useless so I did. But still .

At the school I could see the creme and changes of colour and texture right from the spout but in mine its a trickle at the 2oclock position(ideal).

I have used 3 different types of beans Harris Brazilian, Harris Columbian and Lavazzoria(sp?). However no difference.

therefore;

1. Does anyone else have this flow issue? What did you do? What should I do?
    2. Did anyone else notice the difference in the schools em6910 flow and your own??
    3. Anyone else taken the plastic bottom off from the handle??
    4. Suggestions?

A_M

Re: SUNBEAM em6910 flow issues?

Are you using a double floor basket or the single ?

Remove the basket and look to the light... *If you can see only one small hole; then your using the pressurised basket- Note: SB even mention this on page 8 of the Instruction manual.

1: *What grinder ?
    2: *What grind settings ?

Many people think it is all a simple process, however as you will learn... There are a few simple steps such as;

1: Fresh beans
    2: The grind
    3: The tamp

And this will make all the difference. *From there you can stop if your happy or keep tweaking in an effort to get the best from your machine.

Welcome to CS...

Where are you located ?

Hi sampam and welcome to CS.

Dont worry, this question come up all the time and easily fixed.

The coffee your are using is ultra-stale, hence the quick pours and lack of crema. Sunbeam trainers usually make a point of recommending that people buy fresh coffee, from a local roaster or one of the Sponsors on the left, including me.

It will make all the difference. ;)

Cheers!

Hi Sampam, and welcome to coffeesnobs.
    You first need to start with freshly roasted coffee. Then preferably grind your own beans as you need them.Dont pay to much attention to the pressure gauge on the machine.You will need to tamp your coffee quite firm and once the porta filter is inserted into the group head the showerscreen screw should make a little mark in the puck.I aim for 30mls of espresso in 40 secs.

A_M

Oh... While 2 may have been what you saw at the coffee school, if your unit is NEW then, you may have one that has a recalibrated gauge.

See here as to what you might like to do to check.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1227858558

Then go to here

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=BrewMid

As this is where most of the posts about the EM6910 tend to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1228718331/0#1 date=1228719102
    Are you using a double floor basket or the single ?

Remove the basket and look to the light... *If you can see only one small hole; then your using the pressurised basket- Note: SB even mention this on page 8 of the Instruction manual.

1: *What grinder ?
    2: *What grind settings ?

Many people think it is all a simple process, however as you will learn... There are a few simple steps such as;

1: Fresh beans
    2: The grind
    3: The tamp

And this will make all the difference. *From there you can stop if your happy or keep tweaking in an effort to get the best from your machine.

Welcome to CS...

Where are you located ?

hi

Im using a single basket. Taking it out i see tons of small holes and there is no additional basket etc underneath/above. Hence 1 basket with tons of holes. SAME as the coffee school.

1. SUNBEAM EM0480
    2. Current environmental conditions a setting of 5-6 on the grinder gives me a 2oclock pressure gauge.

Apart from possibly the beans neither my tamping nor my grinding is the issue and I seriously doubt the coffee beans could be it. Sure the beans contribute but it cant affect it to that point and I mean it when I said trickle.

Based in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1228718331/0#2 date=1228719124
    Hi sampam and welcome to CS.

Dont worry, this question come up all the time and easily fixed.

The coffee your are using is ultra-stale, hence the quick pours and lack of crema. *Sunbeam trainers usually make a point of recommending that people buy fresh coffee, from a local roaster or one of the Sponsors on the left, including me.

It will make all the difference. ;)

Cheers!
    ??? The problem is MINE isnt pouring fast enough. The coffee at the school was pouring much faster than mine. The school was using 5 senses beans. And your right the were recommending to everyone to get good beans

Quote Originally Posted by martybean link=1228718331/0#3 date=1228719510
    Hi Sampam, and welcome to coffeesnobs.
    You first need to start with freshly roasted coffee. Then preferably grind your own beans as you need them.Dont pay to much attention to the pressure gauge on the machine.You will need to tamp your coffee quite firm and once the porta filter is inserted into the group head the showerscreen screw should make a little mark in the puck.I aim for 30mls of espresso in 40 secs.
    Im nowhere near 30ml. Maybe 5 or 10ml at best.

A_M

The coffee is being packed too tight...

1: Beans - Fresh is best
    2: Grind - Suggest at 6 on the EM0480 is too fine
    3: Tamp

The beans will and do contribute ..... Many of us here have had plenty of experience with these units and the issues of points 1,2 and 3 affect ALL coffee machines, not just the SB.

1: Back off on your grind and try again... *
    2: Then do it again...

Find the balance between grind and Tamp.. *( Do not swap between beans)

As TG is fond of saying "CHANGE only one thing at a time" and then repeat it more than once to confirm the change.

NOTE: Once you get it right and get more beans / or go to one of the others you have, YOU will need to reset your grind yet again.

If yours is pouring too slow you need a courser grind.
    2. Did anyone else notice the difference in the schools em6910 flow and your own??
    I havent been but have heard of this.
    We all have.
    4. Suggestions?
    Agree with AM, 5-6 is too fine. From memeory the instruction book says 12-13.
    The single basket pours slower, so you may need to go courser.

Ignore the guage for now.
    I use it as an indicator once everything else looks to be in order.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#5 date=1228721978

1. SUNBEAM EM0480
    2. Current environmental conditions a setting of 5-6 on the grinder gives me a 2oclock pressure gauge.

Apart from possibly the beans neither my tamping nor my grinding is the issue and I seriously doubt the coffee beans could be it. Sure the beans contribute but it cant affect it to that point and I mean it when I said trickle.

Based in Perth.
    1: A follow the instructions I gave in the first link - this will confirm the SB sweet spot. Then read some of the other links on the EM0480 in the Grinder topic.

2: Many of us, after years of playing, still have issues with getting the Grind and Tamp spot on.

I am still learning after 2 years and having 3 EM6910s, as they all have their own little quirks..

I and others can only provide advice and pass on our experience, it your choice to take it on board or ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#6 date=1228722137

??? The problem is MINE isnt pouring fast enough. *The coffee at the school was pouring much faster than mine. *The school was using 5 senses beans. And your right the were recommending to everyone to get good beans
    Oops. Sorry. Too many good coffees. Pay no heed to me. Do what the others say. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1228718331/0#8 date=1228723177
    The coffee is being packed too tight...

1: Beans - Fresh is best
    2: Grind - Suggest at 6 on the EM0480 is too fine
    3: Tamp

The beans will and do contribute ..... Many of us here have had plenty of experience with these units and the issues of points 1,2 and 3 affect ALL coffee machines, not just the SB.

1: Back off on your grind and try again... *
    2: Then do it again...

Find the balance between grind and Tamp.. *( Do not swap between beans)

As TG is fond of saying "CHANGE only one thing at a time" and then repeat it more than once to confirm the change.

NOTE: Once you get it right and get more beans / or go to one of the others you have, YOU will need to reset your grind yet again.

I was using the same settings and pressure amount as I was doing at the coffee school with faster flow and better quality.

When I change the grind to a courser setting the pressure gauge drops in relation as well. So if I try say 15 the needle doesnt even get to the 10oclock position and comes out yucky. even with all the tamping pressure I can muster.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1228718331/0#9 date=1228723464
    If yours is pouring too slow you need a courser grind.
    I havent been but have heard of this.
    We all have.
    4. Suggestions?
    Agree with AM, 5-6 is too fine. From memeory the instruction book says 12-13.
    The single basket pours slower, so you may need to go courser.

Ignore the guage for now.
    I use it as an indicator once everything else looks to be in order.

Im not using the single basket. Im using the big double basket.

A_M

Every Machine is different and thus you have to try.. The ones in the training have often been set to be about the same.. Or the instructor will know their setting for the beans they are using.

If 6 = 2:00 and reduced pour and 15 = Watery and 10:00

Then as per the SB manual it may need to be around 10 - 12 ...

The settings are rather course and not exact... Thus one or two clicks at most and then a couple of shots...

Have you done the test yet to see where you sweet spot is ???

On my three is it 11:00, 12:00 and 2:00 All different and thus as we have said the gauge is a GUIDE. Further more they all require slightly different dose levels and tamping due to age etc etc..

Do not rush and then blame the equipment... As most of teh CS members will tell you... Many times it is PEBKAC.

Keep trying and take it slowly..

Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1228718331/0#14 date=1228738454
    Every Machine is different and thus you have to try.. *The ones in the training have often been set to be about the same.. Or the instructor will know their setting for the beans they are using.

If 6 = 2:00 and reduced pour *and 15 = Watery and 10:00

Then as per the SB manual it may need to be around 10 - 12 ...

The settings are rather course and not exact... *Thus one or two clicks at most and then a couple of shots...

Have you done the test yet to see where you sweet spot is ??? *

On my three is it 11:00, 12:00 and 2:00 *All different and thus as we have said the gauge is a GUIDE. *Further more they all require slightly different dose levels and tamping due to age etc etc..

Do not rush and then blame the equipment... As most of teh CS members will tell you... Many times it is PEBKAC.

Keep trying and take it slowly..

well just tried again.

at 15 the needle is barely at 10ish and very runny.

consecutively going finer on the grinder gives me consequitively higher pressure gauge and genuinely better coffee smell creme texture and all.

So again after trial and error i seem to be back down again to about a 5 right now and with an 8 i get center line on the gauge a 5 gives me a 2oclock position.

thing is though even at the coffee school did not see anybody using 10 or 12 etc and as the room heated up the grinds got finer down to a 2-3 I had a laugh.

at 12 with all the tamping it still comes out waterish with not enough creme with the gauge at about 11ish

I will try that thing with gauging my own machine tomorrow and report then but for now im stumped.

I had a laugh couldnt wait till tomorrow I had a laugh

ran it with the 2 cup dual filter with single hole at the bottom and that shows on my gauge that my sweet spot is apparently at roughly the center of that ideal zone. So not the 2oclock but rather between the Yellow and Orange zones putting it at roughly 11ish?.

and im guessing that at 6 grind setting i was getting the brown 2oclock spot that at 10ish ill get that spot?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#16 date=1228740481

ran it with the 2 cup dual filter with single hole at the bottom and that shows on my gauge that my sweet spot is apparently at roughly the center of that ideal zone. So not the 2oclock but rather between the Yellow and Orange zones putting it at roughly 11ish?.

and im guessing that at 6 grind setting i was getting the brown 2oclock spot that at 10ish ill get that spot?
    NOW... With store beans from the local shop your not going to get the quality of crema or flavour...

Fresh beans will make all the difference, and your grind will change..

Old / Stale beans usually require a finer grind (my experience) with the EM0480 as they (beans) tend to loose their hardness and tear rather than grind..

12 - 13 for good beans on my 0480 and about 10 as they get older. GJ and others about 10 - 8 and a different tamp pressure but still not the quality output.

Use a duel floor basket at 10 - 12 -14 grind a firm tamp and watch the difference... Fake crema....

Single floor needs Fresh Beans - Page 8 of the manual.

My advice is to ignore all the dials and scales and go by the results. I have recently done a fair bit of experimenting with my EM6910 and EM0480 to learn a bit more about how various parameters affect some aspects of extraction. In the end, it boils down to the following steps in that order:

[edit]0) Only use the single floor (non-pressurised) double basket. The dual floor (pressurised) baskets make it too hard to make decent coffee. They hide the extraction characteristics and provide artificial back pressure / flow restriction.[/edit]
    1) Learn the correct tamp pressure. Use bathroom scales until you get a feel for what 15kg of pressure feels like.

2) Get your dosing and distribution right. When you fill the basket, ensure that the untamped coffee is evenly distributed all the way to the edges without any air pockets. Once tamped with 15kg pressure, the coffee level should be such that about 1/2 of the silver part of the Sunbeam tamper is inside the basket and 1/2 is above the basket rim.

3) Adjust the grind. This is the variable that needs to change on an almost daily basis. As your beans age and the humidity increases and decreases, you may need to tweak the grind coarser or finer. Every EM0480 is different - setting 6 on one will be same as setting 12 on another. Start somewhere in the middle and pull a shot. If its white and runny, make the grind finer. If it wont come out and/or only gives you a few black drops, make the grind coarser.

What you want to see is the pump going quieter and the pressure gauge needle stopping (doesnt really matter where). Once the needle has stopped, itll sit in one position for a little while. The coffee should not come out straight away. There should be a small delay before the first few black drops emerge and quickly turn into a dark brown trickle with orange stripes. Slowly, the colour of the extraction should change from mainly brown with orange stripes to mainly orange with a bit of brown. Very soon after that, you will see the crema starts going pale and turn first to yellow and then starts drifting toward white. If you let it go any longer, the coffee will turn from opaque to semi-transparent liquid. At that point you are over-extracting. As the extraction proceeds, the pressure gauge needle will back off a little bit.

Correct grind is the most important factor. As an example, I had to switch the setting from 13 to 19 when I switched between two different kind of beans. I then had to change the settings another two notches as the beans aged from 3 days old to 10 days old.

and just to add another variable into the mix, the quantity of beans you have in te hopper of the 480 "can" have an impact as to how fine you need to adjust the grind collar.

The grinder likes to have the hopper about 1/2 full or thereabouts providing weight on the beans as they pass through the burrs and stopping the beans "popcorning".

Before I really read through a lot of posts on this site, I used to get frustrated that the grinder seemed to need "constant adjustment" and that one setting wasnt all I needed (afterall, none of the coffee shops I used to buy coffee from seemed to adjust their grinder - well, I never saw them doing it). Now I just accept that there are so many variables in making a "good" coffee that its just normal.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerManagement link=1228718331/0#17 date=1228744886
    Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#16 date=1228740481

NOW... With store beans from the local shop your not going to get the quality of crema or flavour...

Fresh beans will make all the difference, and your grind will change..

Old / Stale beans usually require a finer grind (my experience) with the EM0480 as they (beans) tend to loose their hardness and tear rather than grind.. *

12 - 13 *for good beans on my 0480 and *about 10 as they get older. *GJ and others about *10 - 8 and a different tamp pressure but still not the quality output.

Use a duel floor basket at 10 - 12 -14 grind a firm tamp and watch the difference... Fake crema....

Single floor needs Fresh Beans - Page 8 of the manual.

ok just to get some figures here should it take about 2mins on the 2oclock position? for about 30 seconds or so nothing even comes out and then when it does come out its a very thin trickle. Does that sound right for the brown spot 2oclock??? Because the schools machines took maybe 5 seconds and then an even pour came out total time maybe about 30seconds or so with nice thick creme etc etc

What beans and from whom should I order? Should I get it from 5 senses? somewhere else?
    I like columbian on the cheap end and Hawian Kona on the expensive end.

have narrowed down to 2 sources;

5 senses colombian supremo
    http://www.fivesensescoffee.com.au/shop/coffee/category/single-origins/colombian-supremo-pensilvania
    total inc shipping $39 for 1 kilo

or a seller on ebay
    Carlini Coffee company
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Columbian-SELECT-grade-fresh-roasted-coffee-2x-500g_W0QQitemZ160300931116QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38179 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
    total inc shipping $23 for 1 kilo

which to go for?

Have you looked at any of the site sponsors?

I can vouch for cuppacoffee. We only buy from Dennis - and even though Im in Brisbane, it works out very reasonable (including freight) - and the beans are fantastic. Hell post them just after theyre roasted so they arrive fresh. Not only that, but his customer service is superb (I feel a commission cheque coming on!!). And jsut remember that a few dollars per kilo extra (if, indeed he is at all more expensive) s just a few cents per cup and it really makes all the difference on your tongue.

alright ill get some coffee from one of those sources and update again.

Who carries Hawaiin Kona or Jamican Blue mountain???? Cant find any except 1 site that had 1 kg for about $320!!!!!
    I used to pay
    ~$100 for 1kg blue mountain or kona
    ~$32 for colombian etc most south america africa png etc

and im not sure if its my imagination but I think not sure that the flow on my machine was better and lots more creme was coming out before. like i said look at the times i am getting now

Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#15 date=1228739586
    consecutively going finer on the grinder gives me consequitively higher pressure gauge and genuinely better coffee smell creme texture and all.
    You were on the right track there.
    Ignore the guage and get the coffee hjow you like it then see what the guage reads.
    The most important thing is getting the grind and the pour right and it look like you were almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1228718331/20#25 date=1228784615
    Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/0#15 date=1228739586
    You were on the right track there.
    Ignore the guage and get the coffee hjow you like it then see what the guage reads.
    The most important thing is getting the grind and the pour right and it look like you were almost there.
    thats what i thought but the following 2 points:

ok just to get some figures here should it take about 2mins on the 2oclock position? for about 30 seconds or so nothing even comes out and then when it does come out its a very thin trickle. Does that sound right for the brown spot 2oclock??? Because the schools machines took maybe 5 seconds and then an even pour came out total time maybe about 30seconds or so with nice thick creme etc etc

and that unless im mistaken the pour was better when i had gotten the machine has left me confused whether it can really be the beans? ( though I will get some fresh ones) because im certain i was getting good flow and the right pressures and the coffee would come out nice with plenty of creme in comparison to now.

what are your times and settings of choice?

sampam,

Did you get the DVD with the machine? If so, I recommend watching it. Copy his techniques.

After going full circle and having now gotten my routine down pat, I was suprised to watch the DVD and find my techniques closely matched the presenters.

Watch the DVD a dozen times if you need to. And remember, your dose and tamp should remain consistent. Only the grind should change. If you keep changing different things, including your bean type and going from single to double baskets, its kinda like trying to shoot an erratically flying bird with a rifle; its very difficult.

I aim for 50ml double in about 25 secs. Im lazy and use the double shot button, but manually cut it off.

On my machine, the gauge / needle hits around 2 oclock to hit this result. Beans are between 3 and 17 days post roast (get 1 kilo which lasts 2 weeks) and most of the coffee is kept in a click clack container (except as I said, the 480 likes beans in the hopper to get the most consistent grind)

Sen

small thread hijack, but does anyone know if the DVD is available as a d/load from anywhere (sunbeam?). DVD wasnt included with my machine. Whilst I have had it a year, and think I do pretty well, would be curious to have a nosey at it

Cheers

Sen

here is a video i made of the whole drama 45 secs later and I barely have maybe 8ml

see what u think if its normal

apologies for the broken files and needing zip but there was no other way due to this sites restrictions.

2nd part

3rd

4th

final part 5th

maybe now you see what im talking about?

Despite what the guage indicates compared to mine, the timing and look of the pour suggest way too fine a grind.

Where are you located sampan?

As above - 1. too fine a grind 2. guage is not working properly.

im in Perth WA mate

Can you guys compare my results to your own owns include time settings etc?

below I did A simple water test if you could please compare with your results (flow, quantity, pressure etc) as well;

1 cup roughly 250ml of water using 2 cup single floor (ie the big filter with tons of holes) filter with 2 cup pour spout running continously completed in ~35seconds from button press to button press

attached is just the beginning and the end if you would please.

end of water test

~1 cup 250ml ini 35seconds

yep, your gauge is quite different to mine (end of your yellow is pretty much 12/1 oclock and a very short brown zone). I suspect you will have to grind coarser.

It has been said on here before and cant be repeated enough -

Start with Freshly roasted beans (if you cant find or cant be told a roasting date, most likely they wont be fresh)
    Change only 1 variable at a time
    Try and get your routine set so that that 1 variable is grind fineness

Grind into the double shot, tamp so that 1/2 the tamp is above the rim of the basket and try your shot. If too fast, grind finer, too slow, grind coarser, but next time you run your shot (with coarser or finer grind) make sure that your tamp / dose method does not change (IE still 1/2 tamp above the rim of the basket). Rinse and repeat until you find your mark.

Once you do this, you can then experiment with dosing (have been reading on home barista how down-dosing but grinding finer can significantly change a shot) and / or tamping techniques.

Sen

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by sampam link=1228718331/20#30 date=1228788812
    here is a video i made of the whole drama 45 secs later and I barely have maybe 8ml

see what u think if its normal

apologies for the broken files and needing zip but there was no other way due to this sites restrictions.
    If that was my steam wand I would beat the user with a wet RAG...

1: Watched all avis..

As has been stated by just about every CS to date.

A: Too fine and or over tamped.
    B: Even when it starts to run it is not good and thick etc *looks like channelling but restricted.

Conclusion - *BEANS / Grind and Tamp.

Your water test proves nothing as to the issue with your coffee.

Forget what the gauge settings were in the class...

Focus on the Grind, Tamp and aim for about 50 - 60 ml in aprox 30sec then when you can repeat it... Check the gauge... It will be about 12:00 or Maybe 1:00 at worse case on your. unit..

Quality of the crema etc will be a direct result of the quality of the beans..

From here, there is nothing else that I or others can do for you, unless you follow our instructions to the letter.

A Chorus of echoes and my ears are ringing.

right thanks yall.

Im now waiting for my fresh colombians to come in.

then I will repeat and see what happens and update here. hopefully all will be resolved.

however how many on here did that gauge cal check ? how manys ended up being between the yellow and orangish? how many ended up being brown etc?

angermanagment; why was it that all the machines at the school were all at about the brown spot?
    and Could it be just me or could i be right in saying that im sure the pour and flow was better when i first got it?
    finally could there be something wrong with the machine?????
    because if i when i get the new beans and still dont get the results ?

compared to the flow at school and those vids at youtube mine doesnt do that even at its best flow (based on your gauge cal check)

Have you made your grind more coarse? :-/

Can I prompt you to, rather than asking the same questions and getting the same answers over and over that you wait for your fresh beans to turn up and try it again. Once youve done that, we can start looking at other things.

I have a 6910 that is now about 4 months old, I have done the coffee school fairly recently (October) and my pour was about the same (on and off) as the one as I got in the coffee school - I still get the odd chanelling but this is to do with my tamp more than anything and my grind setting when using a new lot of beans.

However I had, and used, fresh beans once I got home from the school and not the dried out, stale old prunes that mask themselves as beans in the Supermarket or that are sold in GJs, Micky Ds, etc. These are nothing like the ones you use in the School (did they go through and show you a container of stale supermarket beans to sniff test as opposed to fresh beans...yuck to the old beans!) and you will never - I repeat, never - get the same results from a supermarket bean as you will from 3 day old fresh beans.

I would suggest you start on a grind of about 12 when you get your fresh beans and move up/down from there. My machine requires about 16 on my grinder and chokes up completely at 12 on fresh beans, but they all differ a bit.

Once youve done this, start comparing to our results. You will find that very few that have a 6910 and are posters on this suit use supermarket beans (and hence need to use the pressurised portafilter baskets) so we cant really give you a comparison.

However, we can once you have the fresh beans...

:D

Cheers
    Di

One thing that does surprise me in the videos, is that when the machine struggles to pass water through the grouphead (because of too fine a grind, or too hard a tamp)....I would expect the guage to register a higher reading. Surely if it is struggling to force the water through, the pressure guage should be indicating accordingly.

I think that this is further evidence that the best accessory for the guage is a strip of masking tape.

Thoughts ?

Yep, the only time I look at the pressure guage is when Im backflushing, just to make sure the seal is there...

Otherwise, how fast/slow it comes through the PF and how much coffee is going into my 30ml measure glasses are the only indication that I use. *What else is the guage going to tell you other than what your eyes can see: once the coffee is passing through the grinds, its too late to back down and start again anyway, so your eyeball is the best indicator that you can get.

Wouldnt use masking tape though - dont want to spoil the asthetics of my baby girl! * ;)

WOO HOO! Just noticed Ive passed 100 posts and am now a Regular Roaster! (Does a little tap dance in celebration...)

I for one use the gauge. If for nothing other than to tell me before I see the coffee appear how Ive faired.

Having said that, I do look for the magical rats tail, honey like pour.

Quote Originally Posted by runfast link=1228718331/40#43 date=1228885938
    Have you made your grind more coarse? *:-/
    yes to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza link=1228718331/40#45 date=1228899240
    One thing that does surprise me in the videos, is that when the machine struggles to pass water through the grouphead (because of too fine a grind, or too hard a tamp)....I would expect the guage to register a higher reading. *Surely if it is struggling to force the water through, the pressure guage should be indicating accordingly.

I think that this is further evidence that the best accessory for the guage is a strip of masking tape.

Thoughts ?
    bingo i found that very strange too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast