Thread: Coffee Machine for Home use

Coffee Machine for Home use

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone. I need your help :-/

I am looking at buying a coffee machine for home as i love my coffee and would like to start to make it at home. I am looking at a medium price range approx around $1000. Can any one help me with what would be a great machine for home around that price range.

I thought about the Breville Cafe Series but not sure if there is anything out in the market that is better?

Re: Coffee Machine for Home use

You are sure to get lots of opinions and suggestions, but first a few questions?

Do you own a decent grinder (not a whirly blade but a minimum of a Sunbeam EM0450 or better ($150 +/-) - some would say minimum of an Iberital Challenge circa $300)?

What sort of coffee do you make (milk based or straight shots)?

How many people would you expect to make coffee for at any given time (regularly have friends over for coffee or just 1 - 2 cups most of the time)?

And also, where are you located?

There is a long list of site sponsors across to the left that are very helpful at fitting people out with a machine / package that will suit their needs and (sometimes stretch) their budget

Sen

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have a grinder never used it yet, it is a bodum C Mill electrical grinder, dont know if that is good enough if not i will purchase one.

I like milk based coffees and would probably only make 2 coffees per day on average for myself and only a couple of times per month when we have guests.

I am located near Parramatta in Sydney thanks so much for your help with this, i am so confused with the options out in the market.

I would suspect that the Bodum may not be up to scratch for a decent machine, but others may weigh in with an opinion on that.

I think Cuppa Coffee and DiBartoli are located in Sydney (somewhere) so they are bound to be able to offer valuable advice (there may be others too, unsure).

Something along the lines of a Rancilio Silvia or Sunbeam EM6910 may be a suitable machine coupled with a capable grinder. Each has its pluses and minuses covered more than once in this section of the forum.

Best advice you will probably get on here is spend as much as you can on the grinder and then think about the machine second. The Sponsors will most likely echo that opinion...

Good luck

Sen

one of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-C-Mill-electric-coffee-grinder/dp/B0001HYELI

that is a whirly blade grinder, you will get a very inconsistent grind from that, I used a small Krups grinder for years until I bought a Sunbeam EM480, like chalk and cheese, it makes such a big difference to the quality of the brew in the cup.

it is only a couple of seconds difference in having a grind that is too coarse to too fine with a blade grinder, and the grind is never even anyway, part of it will be very fine and you can still have large pieces in it, coffee ground through a burr grinder will always come out even.

even the EM480 is considered a basic grinder which is why I am thinking seriously in getting something better like a mini-mazzer

dAz

The Bodum C Mill is no use if you are after good coffee as dAz has explained in detail.

I will echo the need for a good grinder; the minimum being the Sunbeam 0480 but youd get better value spending double that or more.

The better grinders give you better tasting coffee (to a point) and last longer so are cheaper in the long run as you wont need to replace them as often (if ever).

If you can make a trip to Di Bartoli or Cuppacoffee theyll both look after you and explain in detail and you can see and touch the machines.

The Sunbeam 6910 can be a good machine to start off on.
    It will make coffee and steam milk without having to wait.
    By my reckoning it should last about 5 years in domestic use.
    Currently they can be bought for about $550 if you shop around.
    That would let you buy a fairly decent grinder.
    If you can stretch the budget a little further you could buy a better grinder that youll never need to upgrade.

Hi Sherry,

There arent many options at this price range, so it should become a very easy choice for you. First up, you need to be sure that you are going to be happy with a semiautomatic machine and grinder combo. This is harder to use and messier than a superautomatic, but should deliver much better tasting coffee and will probably last longer.

The machine choices are pretty simple. There is the rancilio silvia (and a few similar machines), the sunbeam em6910 and everything else. You can probably buy something called an espresso machine for less that $100 if you really want. Dont bother. The rancilio silvia is bomb proof and you will probably be able to hand it down to your grand kids ... which is good, because it will probably take until you have grand kids before you work out how to get the most out of it. This machine also needs a minute or two to heat up the boiler from brew to steam. The sunbeam em6910 is pretty plasticky and has some circuit boards in it, so it probably wont last anywhere near as long as a silvia. It can brew coffee and steam milk at the same time and the cost of the machine includes a free training session.

Grinders-wise there are only a few choices that are really going to fit in. The cheapest are the sunbeam em0450s, which are loud, slow, dirty and dont allow for fine adjustments, but get the job done. You can pay a bit more for an iberital challenge or an ascaso grinder, both of which are pretty similar, but have better adjustment for espresso and basically cannot be moved between espresso and other brewing methods. A bit more than that gets you a rancilio rocky, which enjoys a fantastic reputation. IMHO, the rocky is pretty aptly named in that you would have to have rocks in your head to buy it now that the Compak K-3 touch has been released. That grinder offers fine adjustment for espresso and grind quality thats in the ballpark of the top domestic grinders. The interface is a bit clunky, but its several hundred dollars cheaper than grinders with a similar burr set.

Sounds to me like your best bet is probably the sunbeam em6910 and the matching sunbeam grinder if you want to keep costs down or the em6910 and the compak if you want to get the best bang for your buck ... which might blow your budget slightly.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Nicely explained Luca and good advice to boot..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.