Thread: EM6910 fast shots

EM6910 fast shots

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,
    its the usual story: im new to the coffeeworld and CS.
    first of all id like to plug the coffee barun; if you live in adelaide, or are coming to adelaide- go to the barun. no exceptions theyve got top service and great products.

secondly:
    ive been reading for a week or so, trying to get as much info as possible and ive just got myself a EM6910 and EM0480 setup.

the issue ive been having is getting 30 seconds for 30ml single shots. ive been experimenting by keeping my dosage and tamping at a constant (or there abouts) and adjusting my grind settings. my most successful shot went for 25 seconds (much different to the 10 or 15 i was getting) but for the last 10mls of the shot the pressure gauge on the sb said i was overextracting.

my understanding of the situation says 25 seconds is slightly underextracting - grind is too coarse
    but the gauge indicated i was overextracting in the last 1/3 of the shot saying the grind is too fine.
    after the shot i inspected the puck and found it firm, it had a light indentation of the shower screen and good even colour at the base.

the grind setting i ended up at was 8 despite the fact the book says espresso should be 12-16 (i figure the numbering system from one grinder to another is a little hit and miss with a mass production item)

can you help a newbie?

cheers,
    Mike.

A_M

Re: EM6910 fast shots

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt link=1231315747/0#0 date=1231315746
    Hi guys,
    its the usual story: im new to the coffeeworld and CS.

secondly:
    ive been reading for a week or so, trying to get as much info as possible and ive just got myself a EM6910 and EM0480 setup.

the issue ive been having is getting 30 seconds for 30ml single shots. ive been experimenting by keeping my dosage and tamping at a constant (or there abouts) and adjusting my grind settings. my most successful shot went for 25 seconds (much different to the 10 or 15 i was getting) but for the last 10mls of the shot the pressure gauge on the sb said i was overextracting.

my understanding of the situation says 25 seconds is slightly underextracting - grind is too coarse
    but the gauge indicated i was overextracting in the last 1/3 of the shot saying the grind is too fine.
    after the shot i inspected the puck and found it firm, it had a light indentation of the shower screen and good even colour at the base.

the grind setting i ended up at was 8 despite the fact the book says espresso should be 12-16 (i figure the numbering system from one grinder to another is a little hit and miss with a mass production item)

can you help a newbie?

cheers,
    Mike.
    1: Are you using fresh BEANS ? *Not supermarket or old shelf stock.

Beans available - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1231309291/0#0

Then see my post *about the Gauge here - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1230675734 *it is an indicator only.

Then read this post *http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1228718331 *and all of the 4 pages as there is lots to pick up...

2: Do the training

Ali

I second the question about the fresh beans and also that the gauge is an indicator only. Even at the training they said not to worry about the gauge.

Good luck and do the training!

ignore the gauge, watch the pour.

You could (should) also try using the double filter rather than the single. This is a little more forgiving with technique and will help get the right shot consistency.

From the double basket you should be aiming the get 50 - 60ml of espresso in 25 - 30 seconds from the time you hit the bew button.

If the pour is too fast, grind finer but keep dose / tamp the same until you get in that ballpark, if too slow, grind coarser, but again, keep dose / tamp the same

Sen

A_M

Note: When we say the Double basket we mean the bigger PF Basket and not the baskets with the double floor.

Hold up to the light and if you only see 1 (one) small hole... Put this PF back in the box and use only to check the gauge sweet spot.

The PF you should be using will show many small holes when held to the light and there is 2 (two sizes).

Most of the CS using the 6910 tend to use the double shot / larger PF basket.

the beans are from the coffee barun and were used within a week or roasting.

ill do the double floor basket sanity check for the gauge to gain an understanding of where my sweet spot is and then continue to mess with my grind until i start getting the right speed/extraction.

thanks for your help, ill report back my findings.

Does anyone know why the sb single and double baskets are require virtually double the recommended 7 and 14g shots? if you got a properly extracting single shot from a sb basket and a 7g basket would the sb basket be the same taste but stronger flavours?

I have had totally different flavours from the same beans when swapping from the single basket to the double (single seemed brighter / more lively) so I would suspect that there could / would be a difference when using a more traditional 7g basket as opposed to the 12gr or so that the SB single takes. YMMV ofcourse

so ive confirmed my sweetspot to be about 12 oclock. my grind is fine enough now that im getting 25-28second shots but the sb is sitting at 2 oclock in the overextraction zone.
    the actual shot itself doesnt appear to go watery near the end, im just wondering what i can change in order to keep the same time (or better) but lower the pressure slightly?

Cheers,
    Mike.

why?

How do the shots taste at the 2 oclock position? If they are running at around 25 - 28 seconds, I would suspect that they are fairly optimal.

You will note that although the dual floor basket test may give position A as the sweet spot, some prefer to run just a tad past this spot as optimal (my pressure gauge according to the test should be slightly past 12 oclock, but I prefer it at 1 - 2 for a mid 20s double shot).

Sen