Thread: Classic Questions

Classic Questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings Snobs.. ;)

My classic has finaly arrived bought on ebay for a great price, almost one of those its too good to be true bargains but sofar..umm..so good but there are a few questions that I need to ask..

One of the items that I didnt recieve but may turn up when the seller finds it is a two cup filter Im sure I can source one if needed but for now Im struggling thru getting the grind right and not achieving black then straight to blond extraction. ahh the fun of learning. The only signs of use was a grubby 1 cup filter and a very clogged shower screen easy fixed. I open the top cover to have a peek and I found 1) an almost new looking machine with no corrosion, stains or marks of any kind, well like new. 2) a broken black plastic collar that I think sits behind the steaming knob on the inside of the cover, can anyone confirm that there is one there and does it do anything? *Also at the back left of the machine which I believe is the water pump is mounted to the body of the machine with a rubber grommet that allows a fair bit of movement in the pump is this also correct? I was going to have a go at the OPV mod but I want to make sure the machine is set-up with all the bits in the right spot before I go changing anything.

Cheers in advance

Kaff...

p.s. going from a $68 KMart breville cafe thingy using brick coffee and no clue to CS supplied home popper roasted freshly ground beans on my EM0480 (I so love calling it my EMO *480) extracted thru a Gaggia Classic with only a slight clue. Even I can see its not extracting right but Dang it tastes good. What a galaxy of difference.

Thank You CoffeeSnobs for changing my life. ;D

Re: Classic Questions

Good work Kaff, you are well on your way to Coffeesnobdom now, it certainly opens up a whole new world of appreciation for good coffee.
    I had to look twice at the post when I saw Sylvester!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffine link=1231511502/0#0 date=1231511502
    Greetings Snobs.. ;)

2) a broken black plastic collar that I think sits behind the steaming knob on the inside of the cover, can anyone confirm that there is one there and does it do anything? *Also at the back left of the machine which I believe is the water pump is mounted to the body of the machine with a rubber grommet that allows a fair bit of movement in the pump is this also correct? I was going to have a go at the OPV mod but I want to make sure the machine is set-up with all the bits in the right spot before I go changing anything.

Cheers in advance
    Congrats on the pickup Kaffine

Not sure about the collar but if its there, it probably has a purpose. You can view schematics and get replacement parts at Coffee Parts. Other sponsors may also stock parts for the Classic

Cheers heaps guys

Yeah Im officialy hooked, Ive added some pictures as my descriptions are some what lacking..

Cross fingers

Site Sponsor

Kaffine;

Congratulations on your machine. Di Bartoli coffee centre is a service agent for gaggia traditional machine, we have spare parts if you need it. Most of the common parts can be seen in our website

The part that you refering I think is Gaggia Steam Valve Assembly http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product_details.asp?pid=206

Regards

Renzo

And the collar..

If the collar is not available separately, Id be trying to repair it with some heat-proof glue.

As a rank amateur on that machine it looks like it may be there to stop rattles or movement against the side of the machine.

Greg

Many thanks again.

The broken part has been glued and now waiting for an overnight set then Ill remove the valve and replace the collar. Might even tweek the OPV whilst Im there..

Cheers again

Kaff...

Oh yeah my XU1 HG died in about 35 secs so back to bunnings and upgraded to the ryobi..Now Im off the the garage and play Corretto for a while.. ;D

Cool, if you need a double filter basket, pm me your address and Ill send some spare ones out to ya if I can find them(provided ur in Australia). I used to have a few lying around.

The rubber gromets under the pump are to absorb the vibrations, its good if theres some play.

Hey YeeZa

Thanks about confirming the rubber mount, the machine as I said is like new but I just wanted to be sure. As for the double filter basket, the guy who sold it said he only had the double but it arrived with a single and a blank and in his last email he mentioned that he found the other one so I may end up with two singles absolutely no use. So if I end up with two singles I would certainly take you up on your offer with the right renumeration of course. Im almost in Australia I live over the border in W.A.. ;D..(Thats a W.A. joke sorry) ::)

Got some guinea pigs *cough* friends comming over so I may get some honest opinions from them...

Chat soon
    Kaff...

no worries mate, just let me know if you want em and theyll be a gift ;) so just gimme your addy.

Thanks YeeZa

The filter arrived today and its a double *dances a jig*. The first extraction I tried was alot better looking , far from perfect (very dark first, short good color, straight to blonde) Im thinking too fine grinds thus the greater surface area and extracting all the ..goodness too quick then going blonde to quick..*scratches head*..maybe

Yeeza thanks but you can retain the filter for the next needy Newb. ;)

Time to go play em practice somemore..

Kaff..

Good stuff Kaff, have fun playing!