Thread: Beginners guide for Silvia

Beginners guide for Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    At my wifes fervent request, Im trading in my Sunbeam 6910 for a Silvia -- we should never have sold our lovely Botticelli a year back, but the Silvia should deliver a similar-quality espresso.
    Just a couple of questions -- how long does the silvia take to fire-up in the morning for our first cup of coffee (just the two of us). And if we then steam for latte, how long does the boiler take to cool down enough to deliver a second coffee?

And finally (elementary questions, but the manual doesnt give this info) -- if the boiler is kept pretty full, is it safe to leave the Silvia switched on during daylight hours -- say, from 9am till 5pm? Or should it be shut-down between coffees and then reheated every time?

Just for info. we sold the Botticelli because my wife was terrified that she would one day forget to keep the boiler filled, and leave the machine on to run dry. She feels a lot more confident about keeping an eye on things now .. especially since she misses the taste of the Botticelli coffee so much -- which I would imagine would be pretty identical to the Silvia product.

Re: Beginners guide for Silvia

Hi Anthony - i use a timer with my Silvia and fire it up about 3/4hr before i get up. Have been doing this for a few years, no problem - just ensure the steam valve is properly closed and Silvias switches are set correctly. If I forget to put timer on, I turn Silvia On and when heated, flick on the steam switch to try and speed things up a bit - this sort of works, but isnt perfect.

After steaming milk for a latte, I leave the steam valve open a bit blowing steam on a cloth or into a container whilst pouring the milk and serving. I then come back and run water through the steam wand. I then do a water flush through the group. Once again, not perfect - but not bad.

Hi Anthony, regarding leaving Silvia on, I used to leave mine on during the day on weekends, I always made sure the tank was full and boiler primed. Also check the steam wand, they cool down overnight after you turn machine off and dribble in the morning, just close the valve when turning machine on.
    With pulling shots and steaming milk, Silvia takes a couple of minutes to come back to brewing temp after steaming. If Im doing 4 milk drinks I usually pull the shots first and then steam all of the milk and pour together.
    Fire up time should ideally be 30minutes, but you can cheat and run water through group and steam wand to get her up and running faster. Theres a post on web called "cheating Miss Silvia" with this info.
    It takes a little getting to know her but once you do she produces some pretty good shots.
    Good luck and enjoy............................gm

You can get away with 20 minutes for warm-up, but 30 mins is about right (or using cheat methods etc.)

pull all your espresso shots then switch to steam. takes about a minute to heat up.

after all that and switching the steam switch off, its a good 10 minutes before its able to be used for shots again (Im sure theres cheat methods for this too!). Once youve waited the 10 mins, run the pump unitl water comes out the group head and this is a good time to backflush/use a brush to clean the showerscreen. Then its ready to go again, and if youve done the last step you should be Ok to leave it on as the boiler should be full by that stage and wont boil dry. But I take no responsibility for this, its just pretty much what I was told when I got mine and it seems to make sense. And Ive left mine on a couple of times by mistake and it was OK...

Thanks for all that .. for the morning, it seems a small timer will be the go! Though the temperature surfing sounds more fun.....