Thread: Cleaning a Sunbeam 6910

Cleaning a Sunbeam 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    When I backflush my grouphead, should I use a cleaning powder or a tablet? Does it make any difference? I usually backflush with a powder (Clean Machine) once a month. The first few times I used too much and choked the machine. Now I use about half a teaspoonful. How does anyone else clean their 6910?

I cant seem to find an answer, but this may have been covered before.

Cheers!

Andy.

Re: Cleaning a Sunbeam 6910

Hi Andy

I use the Cleaning Tablets from Sunbeam - purchased at the Sunbeam Service Centre but they cost about $18.00 for a packet of 6 tablets.

Cheers
    Di

Ali

I backflush just with water regularly and about once every few months use the Sunbeam tablets - I was advised to do so if the machine was still in warranty. Apparently there are other tablets which are cheaper which fit too

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 466B6E070 link=1231682730/2#2 date=1231714987
    I backflush just with water regularly and about once every few months use the Sunbeam tablets - I was advised to do so if the machine was still in warranty. *Apparently there are other tablets which are cheaper which fit too
    Regardless of Warranty - Failure to clean will cause problems for the product / your enjoyment and equipment reliability.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone else use a powder, or are the tablets the best for the 6910?

I should add that I backflush with water after every use.

I use a Sunbeam tablet once a week.

Although I consider myself scrupulously clean and flush the grouphead after every shot, I only had to see what was released after a tablet backflush cycle once to be a convert to weekly tablet use.

I continue to use the Sunbeam tablets as I cannot get a definite answer as to whether any other brands are suitable.

I use the sunbeam products even though they are a little hard to find where I live. When I do find them I buy a couple of packets so I wont run out. I think until someone can definitely say a product works for the sunbeam without damaging it, I will stick to the sunbeam product.

Thanks all. The consensus seems to be for the tablets.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by 406F6664734C606F6066646C646F75010 link=1231682730/3#3 date=1231717794
    Regardless of Warranty - Failure to clean will cause problems for the product / your enjoyment and equipment reliability.
    To explain what I meant - was told at a dept store when I was looking for the tablets was that other tablets will fit the machine (and are cheaper), but if its still under warranty then you should use the sunbeam tablets so that you dont void your warranty.

At the Sunbeam course they pretty much instructed us to backflush with water every day if used heavily. If used lightly, they said not to leave it for more than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by 486560090 link=1231682730/8#8 date=1231817796
    To explain what I meant - was told at a dept store when I was looking for the tablets was that other tablets will fit the machine (and are cheaper), but if its still under warranty then you should use the sunbeam tablets so that you dont void your warranty.
    As a general piece of advice, I would suggest ignoring sales people in department stores. It is very rare to find anyone with even half a clue in such places.

Now, for the more specific advice. If the third party tablets work the same as the Sunbeam tablets then warranty makes no difference. If, on the other hand, a repairer could tell from the condition of the machine that you have used something else than the Sunbeam product, then it is fairly obvious that the product was not a suitable replacement.

Whichever way you slice it, if you want to be sure, use the Sunbeam product.

DONT USE

backflush just with water regularly and about once every few months use the Sunbeam tablets - I was advised to do so if the machine was still in warranty. *Apparently there are other tablets which are cheaper which fit too

leaving the sunbeam for a few months between backflush will cost you money

At the Sunbeam course they pretty much instructed us to backflush with water every day if used heavily. *If used lightly, they said not to leave it for more than a week.

the less reguarly the machine is used, then more cleaning needs to be done
    once the coffee oils go hard, normal backflushing will not remove them

all home machine manufacturers state that you can only use thier designated cleaning products

did a job last week on a sunbeam 6910 6mths old,
    2 coffees per day
    rinses after every use
    previous coffee suplier told him to backflush with liquid bleach once a month

had very clean old coffee residue

cost him $ to have blockages removed

You do need to be careful as to cleaning products you use

some are just dishwashing powder sold as coffee cleaner

dishwashing powder has low suds

coffee cleaner needs to suds up, as it is the suds/ detergent residue clinging to the walls that does the cleaning, not the wateryliquid being pushed straight through

graham

A_M

Back flush with liquid bleach... :o

Hope it was MEDICAL / Food grade grade ;D ;D

I am sure the Health and TGA authorities would be impressed...

I wonder how much rinsing he had to do before getting a good shot afterwards..

FIX... You must have some great Customer stories to tell ::)

Problem is that many try to do the right thing BUT get told crap from friends and some of the people pushing the product or the machine..

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by 3936275F0 link=1231682730/10#10 date=1232238131
    [leaving the sunbeam for a few months between backflush will cost you money
    What AM said ubout getting told crap... its so true. The sunbeam manual doesnt even talk about backflushing... they only mention it in the course. All the sunbeam manual tells you to do is cycle water through the group head after each use and clean the rim. They recommend to clean the group head with a cleaning tablet once every 3 months!

Quote Originally Posted by 1D323B392E113D323D3B39313932285C0 link=1231682730/11#11 date=1232443125
    Back flush with liquid bleach... *:o
    I am sure the Health and TGA authorities would be impressed...
    I would not put bleach or any other corrosive in a metal machine, but unscented bleach is commonly used to sanitise plastic and glass utensils when brewing. Unscented household bleach diluted at a rate of 250ml to 20l of cold water - soak for a few minutes, then rinse under cold running water. Of course, the bleach will not clean anything, it just kills any bacteria, yeast or mould. If there is a risk of residual bleach odour (or if your water has been treated with chloramine) you can rinse with sodium metabisulphate solution, which will also sanitise.

Of course, all those chemicals should be handled at room temperature in well ventilated areas. Putting them into a coffee machine where they get heated up and come into contact with various metals is just plain stupid. However, plain old unscented bleach is fine for food grade sanitisation when used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E697C731D0 link=1231682730/6#6 date=1231747103
    *I think until someone can definitely say a product works for the sunbeam without damaging it, I will stick to the sunbeam product. *
    I use Cafetto and it doesnt appear to be doing any harm.

Edit - looks as though some script that automatically puts in a link when a sponsors name appears is playing up...

I use Cafetto too. I noticed some slight staining on the stainless steel backing (behind where the cup sits on the drip tray) after water escaped out the back of the group head during the backflush. Seems to have polished straight out and looks to be doing the job.

Is it safe to pass a bit of this through the steam wand too or should it just be soaked with water?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 11150A1B031616620 link=1231682730/15#15 date=1232577344
    I use Cafetto too.

Is it safe to pass a bit of this through the steam wand too or should it just be soaked with water?
    SB do not recommend and warn not to run the Steam when doing their recommended descale and their Tabs.

From what I can tell this is due to the fact that there is NO way to get the steam wand to run HOT water... IT steams and thus causes some chemical changes etc... Risk management... Users might not flush and blame some one for the crappy taste etc...

I do run cleaner through my Steam wand, but not that often..

1: Set the steam temp to the lowest temp
    2: Steam pump to fastest = Wettest setting
    3: Lots of shorts bursts and a cool rag around the steam wand.

And do it in an open AREA... If you do it in the kitchen it will / can leave a strong chemical smell..

Then you have to spend some time flushing with clean water....

After all that, you then have to reset the Steam temp and wetness.

NOTE: The use of filtered water etc should mean that this is not required too often.

Excellent, Im satisfied with that answer as I was asking because Id done it, not because I wanted to do it.

I dont feel like a bad boy for doing something I shouldnt have ;-)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 23273829312424500 link=1231682730/17#17 date=1232628820
    Excellent, Im satisfied with that answer as I was asking because Id done it, not because I wanted to do it.

I dont feel like a bad boy for doing something I shouldnt have ;-)
    You mean you got carried away and just turned on the steam when doing a de scale... Without reading the SB manual ???

Naughty boy.... A spanking for you.... CS people would never do such a thing ::)

Opps... How did I find out what to do and what not to do ..... :-[

Well I have 2 factors working against me, I work in IT and Im a bloke. Major influences on not reading the manual but instead, lets give it a try and see what it does. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

I must pay more attention to the manual - I didnt change the steam temp or wettness but I promise I will next time. Promise... ;D

A_M

IT appears to be a common factor.... *:D

As my wife has said to me many times as well as others, including techs who have arrived at home to do work... Cable *etc...

RTFM....

I hope to have a pic or two up shortly... To quickly demonstrate a way to manually flush the Steam thermoblock on the EM6910...

See my post * [here] * * *

Site Sponsor

HI There,

Just stumbled across this discussion - thought i would throw in my 10cents worth

on the issue backflushing....the key principle of backflushing & cleaning groups/handles is to remove the residual coffee oils,related dirts and grounds(stating the obvious) :P

whilst regular/daily flushing with fresh water does keep most of this at bay, a backflush...mmmm say weekly, fortnightly or so(depending on use) *will break down the coffee oils and gumming ...keeping your espresso uncontaminated by stale coffee residue.

There are several brands of powders and tablets of varying strength & quality on the market...... it doesnt matter if its a tablet or powder(thats just personal preference) - if it is designed for espresso equipment then the principle of cleaning coffee residue is the same.

We have seen a number of manufacturers challenge the use of other cleaners in their machines.....and to date it hasnt got past fair trading..(ie they cant enforce voiding your warranty)....just as you can use any dishwashing detergent in a dishwasher...

There appears to be a few smoke and mirrors used to create an illusion on some products BUT in general if it is a product designed for coffee equipment *- it will(generally) clean if used correctly...

in regards to descaling and cleaning steam arms ...i could go on & on & on......

cheers

Mr Bombora *

Hi, does someone mind explaining what a backflush is and how its done?
    I see from reading this thread that I will need to do it and its not mentioned in the manual.

Assuming you have an EM6910, the instructions are on pages 30 and 31 of the manual.

ok cool, so the cleaning group head instructions are what is called a backflush

Should this be done only with a cleaning tablet? is it helpfull to do them without a tablet?

It will be helpful without the tablet.
    But you neednt go through the whole 10 minute cycle.

Just insert the blanking plug and fit the handle loosley.
    Hit the manual button and let the basket fill to overflowing and jiggle the handle to flush any loose grounds from the shower screen and group head.

I do this after each coffee making session.

A full cleaning cycle can then be done with the tablet to the frequency recommended by Sunbeam.

Quote Originally Posted by 333E33342325510 link=1231682730/24#24 date=1235341787
    ok cool, so the cleaning group head instructions are what is called a backflush

Should this be done only with a cleaning tablet? is it helpfull to do them without a tablet?
    Yeah, theres the full 10min cleaning cycle that the manual suggests.......or you can prepare the machine like you would for the full flush cycle just without a cleaning tablet, press the manual button and when you hear the machine go "silent" for lack of a better word, hit the button again to stop the water and it will flush back through the machine and into the drip tray.

Do this three or four times and should shift any left over grounds and stuff. Sunbeam suggested you do this after each session at the course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2827364E0 link=1231682730/10#10 date=1232238131
    backflush just with water regularly and about once every few months use the Sunbeam tablets - I was advised to do so if the machine was still in warranty. *Apparently there are other tablets which are cheaper which fit too

leaving the sunbeam for a few months between backflush will cost you money

I have leave it for few months! The pressure of the hot water n group head are extremely low now! Is it blocked by the coffee oil or wy else?
    I have tried the scale cleaning process, but the water outflow was too slow, so seems not really worked.. :-/
    wt can I do mates?